Civilian Reviews | Glassdoor

Civilian Reviews

Updated Sep 1, 2019

4.6
Civilian CEO Stacey Nelson Smith (no image)
Stacey Nelson Smith
  1. "Great company on the rise"

I have been working at Civilian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior leadership, culture, purposeful work

Cons

Some inefficient or confusing processes, gossip/cliques

Advice to Management

Keep inviting more staff participation in decision making

Civilian2018-12-10
  2. "Greatness is within reach"

Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Civilian part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Has the vision, has the passion, has the fundamentals.

Cons

No "x factor" to make magic.

Advice to Management

Get out there. Mix it up.

Civilian2019-09-02
  3. "Very human"

I have been working at Civilian full-time

Pros

Marches to the beat of its own drum The work is fulfilling, clients are meaningful, and they aren't afraid of declining what's not a fit Dog loving, health advocating, and celebration partaking place

Cons

Too lax at times, but trust is a big part of who is hired

Advice to Management

Continue to hire smart individuals and hold true to the culture you've built

Civilian2018-08-30
  4. "Great Company and Culture"

I have been working at Civilian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Focus on social change clients High quality services by talented team Great people, culture and office

Cons

Need to create/improve some systems and processes

Advice to Management

Keep up the great momentum and professionalizing as agency matures

Civilian2018-05-09
  5. "Civilian's greatest asset is the wonderfully talented indivuduals who work there."

I have been working at Civilian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Civilian's greatest asset is the wonderfully talented indivuduals who work there. This place is different than any agency I've worked at and I know it's been said many times before, but your coworkers feel more like family and friends than acquaintances. There is a unity and collaborative nature to these folks that surpasses the rest. The culture is young and vibrant! You can expect first Friday of the month... celebrations, fitness Friday's, happy hours and a dog friendly office environment. We're an interesting bunch, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The kind of work we do and clients we work with, for the most part, are amazing! It's meaningful and rewarding work, and something to be proud of.

Cons

It is a great place for individuals just starting in their career looking to gain valuable experience or for those looking to scale back in order to spend more time with family. But for someone in the middle looking to grow upward, it can be a trying middle ground to stay in for a long period of time. New business seems to be a challenge in many agencies and is no different here. We are still working on... crafting our process, but often times existing client work is bumped to prioritize aggressive new business development timelines.

Advice to Management

Hold managers and supervisors accountable to the same standards as your "worker bees".

Civilian2018-04-12
  6. "Prepare for challenging work with the best, most reliable co-workers you've ever had"

Current Employee - Proposal Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Civilian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great, free-flowing open work-space with the tools you need to succeed. A warm family environment with a supportive team who gets things done. Great benefits, outings, team events, and camaraderie. This field requires open, creative minds and that means we are all a little crazy at times. Hard but rewarding work with the environment to help you succeed. Don't apply if you're easily offended or could be considered... judgmental...you'll disrupt our vibe.

Cons

A decent amount of our staff is relatively new to the agency, so we are all still evolving and improving our process. Bring open-mindedness and creativity to the communication process and you'll be fine! Ability to stand your ground while also going with the flow is a must.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop open lines of communication and make sure that everyone understands the culture that we promote.

Civilian2018-03-29
  7. "A Reprieve from the Modern Advertising Agency"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Civilian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Civilian is the antithesis to today's advertising agencies. Everyone is extremely kind and hard working. There are no agency egos to placate and no one is overworked and/or overstressed. It's a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Their work/life balance is incredible. Most people leave by 5:30 and you never see anyone stay past 7pm. This is a welcome change from the 60+ hours a week I was working at previous... agencies. The staff is hard working and will buckle down and get a project completed in a pinch. There are no lazy employees on staff who continually miss deadlines. Everyone works diligently during regular hours so no one stays late. Civilian carefully selects it's client roster, exclusively choosing altruistic accounts. There are no bad clients in the bunch and this creates a more positive work environment. Due to Civilian's small size, you'll have opportunities to step up and take on numerous responsibilities on multiple accounts. You're encouraged to be a leader and your hard work and diligence will be acknowledged and rewarded. They're adamant about positive feedback when good work is being done. Civilian provides a discounted gym membership. All employees are encouraged to workout regularly. Most of the staff takes full advantage of this. The kitchen is regularly stocked with free snack and drinks.

Cons

Because of it's small stature, Civilian must work to install and develop it's internal processes. This will come in time as they have many new hires with other agency experience. They'll work together and bring the best parts of all their previous processes to streamline everything at Civilian. Civilian's current roster of accounts skews media centric. They're working to grow their creative accounts, but I do... miss more creative-focused work.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your staff. You have hired a great team. Allow them all the opportunities to do great work and generate business!

Civilian2017-11-06
  8. "More Than Just a Career"

I have been working at Civilian full-time

Pros

- Unique opportunity to do good while in the advertising industry - Dog and fun friendly - Excellent work-life balance - Many opportunities to jump on new projects - There's been a lot of growth and new perspectives and points of view have really helped build Civilian's talent base

Cons

- While it's great to have a voice at this agency, too many cooks in the kitchen effect direction, productivity, and efficiencies

Advice to Management

- Invest in all-office team building, communication, and resolution workshops

Civilian2017-10-13
  9. "The people, places, and things at Civilian"

I have been working at Civilian full-time

Pros

Located in Liberty Station, Civilian's San Diego headquarters was designed with the needs of employees in-mind. Fully-stocked kitchen to refuel, televisions and couches in the living room to hang out, and a private room to take a phone call/meditate/decompress, really whatever you'd like. There is an excellent dog policy and an accountability system in place to ensure that having furry friends around doesn't hinder... productivity. Civilian has a "culture calendar" loaded with fitness classes, company meals, group outings, celebratory toasts, and weekly meetings with the entire company to discuss the latest happenings and give recognition where it is due. Highly accessible coworkers. The open floor plan makes communication a breeze and there are no private offices. Even the CEO opted for a work station amongst the rest of the staff. Great work-life balance. The company's mission and values are clear. BAM!

Cons

None worth noting, I am very happy here.

Advice to Management

Full steam ahead with new business initiatives and the professional development program.

Civilian2017-07-01
  10. "A great company to be a part of"

I have been working at Civilian full-time

Pros

-Great work environment with smart, forward thinking people -Work/life balance is encouraged -Good clients who want to impart positive change -Hard working and highly involved CEO/President -Snack bar and occasional Happy Hour -Dog friendly

Cons

-Some processes aren't consistent across the company which causes inefficiencies -There should be more emphasis on professional growth -Not very transparent with company status/financials

Advice to Management

-Work more collaboratively among departments, especially as it pertains to process -Please share more about company goals and financials

Civilian2017-07-01