Claire's Stores Reviews in Davenport, IA | Glassdoor

Davenport, IA Area

4.0
Ron Marshall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 50% discount at Claire's and Icing (in 88 reviews)

• Dress up/theme days, 50% employee discount, (mostly) lenient dress code (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • nobody is the upper management positions wants to take responsibility when stores are struggling even after employees have asked for help (in 67 reviews)

• Very cliquey promotions are given not by who deserves it but who the district manager likes more (in 67 reviews)

"Spread out the tasks!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Davenport, IA

Pros

Great employee discount
    Fun atmosphere
    Bonus incentives for beating last year numbers
    Recognition within store managers' conference calls when goals are exceeded
    Recognition when new ideas are brought to the table

Cons

This is retail, I expect to work nights, more hours than my 40, and for the company to want to make a profit. I do not expect to be treated like a child and have to do silly things like "sign off on voicemail when you schedule your store meeting." I am an adult, as are almost all my employees. If you ask me to have a store meeting, I will have it, trust me! The amount of tasking is fine, but spread it out. There are weeks that my employees could take a nap and nobody would notice, then they throw a plano update, markdown and a million revisions (because someone at the corp. level could not get it right the first time) in the same week and oh yeah... no payroll to do it in. If you have employees and management that care about the business, you will bonus, and bonus well. The downside to that is the amount of hours you are by yourself (4-8, depending on the day) and have to run back to go to the bathroom between customers. Shoplifting is a big problem but so are employees not watching the store and talking on the phone or chatting with each other rather than giving good customer service to deter said shoplifters. I'm a firm believer in you get out of the employees what you are willing to put into their training and the way you treat them. Upper management should realize that, too.

Advice to Management

Treat your store managers like adults and pay them accordingly.
    Assisstant managers should make more money, they are an integral part of a stores dynamics.
    Don't hire the first person that is interviewed for an upper management position just because you need a warm body to work.
    Quit being so stingy with the payroll and maybe you won't have issues with people working off the clock, committing time clock fraud, execution of tasks, and customers complaining about the wait times for piercing or being checked out. You will make more money when there are employees in the store to take care of the customers.

Showing 1 of 902 review