Claire's Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 20, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ron Marshall

Pros
  • 50% discount at Claire's and Icing (in 88 reviews)

• Dress up/theme days, 50% employee discount, (mostly) lenient dress code (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • nobody is the upper management positions wants to take responsibility when stores are struggling even after employees have asked for help (in 67 reviews)

• Very cliquey promotions are given not by who deserves it but who the district manager likes more (in 67 reviews)

1. "Third Key"

Former Employee - Third Key in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Third Key in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice establishment
    great people
    decent pay
    nice ceo
    retail is fun unless you get no business

Cons

benefits aren't great
    third key make $9.25 no increase
    Management sucks
    no benefits for full time

2. "First job I ever had"

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Clifton Park, NY
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Clifton Park, NY

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You learn key leadership skills, how to balance paperwork, and how to effectively run a business by yourself considering you work alone most of the time

Cons

Unorganized management, horrible product, little to no training for ear piercing, long shifts without breaks, low employee retention rate, LOW pay, managers and third keys seem to have the same job description just different hours and pay - theres no clear split with responsibility

Advice to Management

Pay your managers a living wage

"Never Again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount
    Ear piercing
    Work is fairly easy

Cons

I have been with this company for 7 years, I have seen managers and dms come and go. This company had an extreme high turnover rate.
    I have witness a dm hire a store manager only to have that location close 2 months later with out fair warning.
    I have witnessed acting store managers and district mangers go above and beyond to secure positions in the company and still don't receive position after months of hard work.
    Acting store and district manager are unbearable, bend and twist company policies in anyway that benefits them.
    I have witness managers being unprofessional in regards to cutting employees hours because of unworkable related personal conflicts.
    I have witness district managers stating claires is a buddy system insinuating if you're not like by your managers they will make your job difficult on purpose.
    I have witness store managers getting their assistant transferred without asking them because of personal dislike. This list can really go on..

My advice to anyone think of working here is if you can deal with unprofessional management go for it. If you need a quick job for the time being, an in between job, go for it. But this company does not care for it's employees, hence the over turn rate. Benefits aren't great for full time employees. Claire's pay rate is typically lower for most positions in comparison to other retail companies

Advice to Management

Just because someone is a good sales person does not make them a good manager. Be careful who you promote not everyone works as hard in their new position as they did to obtain it. Make sure your store managers are leading by example and being respectful.
    Pay your employees what they deserve and treat them with the respect they deserve and maybe you would be able to keep key holders and your over turn rate would go down.
    I hope the company can maintain sales goals without ever being fully staffed. A lot of retail stores have been closing their gates for good lately, good luck.

4. "DM"

Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Boss, team, territory, fun, holiday

Cons

CEO, hours per store, pay store level, floor sets, marketing changes

5. "Skeleton Crews"

Former Employee - Multi Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Multi Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Birthday parties were fun to host, love wearing the jewelry, the girls on my team became family

Cons

Stores never want to help out other stores, some store managers were flat out rude, many times if someone called out you would have to work an open to close sometimes without a break of any kind. They expect way to much from stores and do not always provided the time or resources to accomplish tasks. Not all stores are treated equally.

Advice to Management

Allow stores to hire more people to allow for proper coverage. People are entitled to breaks! Better ear piercing training needs to happen all across the board. Treat your employees like they matter and are not just replaceable.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount. Ear piercing can be really fun, easy the price point and customer base we serve.

Cons

No customer focus.No work life balance. Pay is not competitive to the market or experience levels. Your check is not always correct even if you clock in and out correctly. Upper management cares nothing about anyone from the DM level down. Turn over is insane for so many reasons too many to list. No corporate support for stores, not enough hrs for the very many task assigned daily. There's no room for growth. Communication is super muddled throughout the company. There is no culture, values or professionalism or people focus anywhere. And even though we are in a class action we still have stores not paying you for work you've done.

Advice to Management

Restructure and organize more than just the companies finances add some values, professionalism and talent retention.

7. "Not worth it"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Blasdell, NY
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Blasdell, NY

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have good coworkers then it's not so bad but the customers are usually rude, and the discount is probably the best part of working here.

Cons

The company doesn't care about the employees. They will overwork you and don't give you a good incentive. Can't leave to get food or drink even if you work 8+ hours alone.

8. "A lot of work"

Current Employee - Multi Store Manager in Freehold, NJ
    Current Employee - Multi Store Manager in Freehold, NJ

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun and Team oriented atmosphere

Cons

Payroll, a lot to do by yourself

9. "Okay for high school job"

Former Employee - Third Key in Sumter, SC
    Former Employee - Third Key in Sumter, SC

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly customers, employee discount, can be a fun work environment.

Cons

Manager can make work life a nightmare.

10. "Claire's"

Former Employee - Third Key Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Third Key Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Always something to do, light work load, nice co-workers, trendy dress code, store discount

Cons

Low pay, unpaid overtime, unpredictable schedule, slow pos system, cash return policy