Claire's Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Claire's Stores Reviews

Updated April 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • 50% discount at Claire's and Icing (in 85 reviews)

• Dress up/theme days, 50% employee discount, (mostly) lenient dress code (in 76 reviews)

Cons

1. "It was a wonderful first job. Actually ended in 2008."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees and management were fun! The job was exciting and always had new sales or situations. Never had any issues with management.

Cons

I'd say just being it was my first job, it was a struggle to learn the ropes. But other that that, wonderful opportunity.

2. "Claire's"

Former Employee - Third Key Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Third Key Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Always something to do, light work load, nice co-workers, trendy dress code, store discount

Cons

Low pay, unpaid overtime, unpredictable schedule, slow pos system, cash return policy

3. "Worse place to ever work."

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in San Diego, CA

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

50% off. Other then that, nothing really good.

Cons

First far most, by getting a job with Claires, you are literally signing your life away. My two and a half years I was exploited and not even given a thank you. They control your life, it's almost like joining a cult. Your underpaid To do everything a manager does. They have been written me up for going to the bathroom. They cut me out of my paychecks by 50$ and they always say "oh you'll get it your next paycheck" and your next pay check comes and your missing more money. Corporate office does absolutely nothing to contribute company (besides steal their workers money)

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like crap. I made the highest sales in all of our store and I when I asked to take a week off it was always declined...EVERY SINGLE TIME! This is honestly the worse company with terrible management and lots of favoritism.

5. "Working at Claire's can be great, if you have the right District Manager."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Bossier City, LA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Bossier City, LA

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount, flexible hours (except during the holidays), small staff, easy to move up, easy to learn and do job

Cons

District manager really micro manages you, not a lot of pay roll hours, have to plan parties and deal with children.

6. "I'd advise against this company"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% discount, somewhat fun, you get trained on piercings, etc. It is a huge company that is somewhat structured. Staff gets to dress up, wear merchandise to up sell, and overall becomes more confident in talking to strangers. Having retail experience will help you see what it is like to be on the other side and most likely change your attitude next time you go shopping for the good.

Cons

UNFAIR MANAGEMENT....mostly a girl staff so a lot of petty drama. I feel that everyone is underpaid and corporate sets these high expectations and goals that no one can finish in the time given. The company expects 3rd keys to do the job of Store managers while gone without raising pay. Scheduling is also beyond unfair and in a life threatening situation they will still expect you to come to work. This companies weakness is that they sell cheap products for a high cost!!! why would I pay $50 or up for a CUBIC Z earring?? Also they expect the staff to stop all stealing, if you have been into a claires store you would see how small every item is and how easy it is to steal. They refuse to put sensors in stores and hold employees accountable. So we are supposed to watch everyone's pockets on top of the super high demands they force onto us??? When we bring a problem to a district manager it is usually brushed under the rug or not important. I feel that in this company even if you speak up no one cares because they know everyone is easily replaceable. Disgusting

Advice to Management

Become more organized, bring up people within the company to possibly have a better outlook on the job in general. Stop expecting staff to do every single huge task in little time or work off the clock. Give stores more hours for better coverage and better performance. Stop expecting stores to make OUTRAGEOUS amounts of money, make goals more realistic. OR if you keep the high goals stop opening locations every 5 miles.. why do you expect that to be a bonus?? Your actually spreading out customers and spreading out sales, be a better company before you expand.

7. "Miserable"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Worcester, MA

I worked at Claire's Stores (More than a year)

Pros

None-- this was the worst job of my life. Employees were constantly threatened and berated by senior management.

Cons

Scheduled for 16-30 days in a row, open-close shift with no breaks, and an overbearing upper management structure made it absolutely unbearable.

Advice to Management

Value your retail employees-- your business can't run without them.

"Overworked, Underpaid"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Great benefits

Steady employment

Wonderful support staff

Great discount

Helpful home office

Cons

Many standards are hypocritical (get reprimanded for lower average dollar sale, but sell everyone something even if it is $2). It is common for businesses to change, but there are literally so many focuses that it makes the overall process much more difficult; we can only work so fast to get 300 tasks done while making sales.

Rather unprofessional conduct/words by district manager. Corporate experiences are nice, though.

Advice to Management

I do my job and do it very well. The only down side is that those who don't do their jobs are not fired, which brings down the effort given by employees, ultimately leading to other stores having to pick up their slack.

9. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Columbus, OH

I worked at Claire's Stores (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not enough pay, working weekends

Cons

Peircing, fun working with kids

10. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Claire's Stores (Less than a year)

Pros

They worked with my hours and I got a good discount on everything.

Cons

Little kids go in there and throw everything on the floor.

11. "The definition of overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time

Pros

Good employee discount
    Occasionally fun if you like kids
    Merchandise is cute and trendy

Cons

The amount of housekeeping and paperwork is ridiculous
    Doing piercings
    Lots of theft
    Snotty teens and adults
    Large amounts of responsibility for little pay
    No weekly sales bonuses for 3rd key holders
    Weird promos that take 20 mins to explain to customers

Advice to Management

Sales incentives in the former of a Claire's gift card is not an incentive for any sane person.

Don't treat 3rd key holders like store managers if you're not going to pay them anything.

Staff your store well so any part-time employee doesn't have to work 6 days in a row a majority of the time.

If someone quits, hire another person right away