Claire's Stores Third Key Holder Reviews | Glassdoor

Third Key Holder

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ron Marshall

Pros
  • 50% discount at Claire's and Icing (in 88 reviews)

• Dress up/theme days, 50% employee discount, (mostly) lenient dress code (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • nobody is the upper management positions wants to take responsibility when stores are struggling even after employees have asked for help (in 67 reviews)

• Very cliquey promotions are given not by who deserves it but who the district manager likes more (in 67 reviews)

1. "Third Key Holder"

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Create wonderful relationships
    Meet people from all over the world
    Get to run the store by yourself
    Come up with matching outfits with your team
    Have Claire's parties
    Most importantly, my favorite=Piercing ear
    Flexible hours

Cons

Not given enough hours as i would like

Advice to Management

Keep motivating your team, a great team= success

2. "First job I ever had"

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Clifton Park, NY
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Clifton Park, NY

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You learn key leadership skills, how to balance paperwork, and how to effectively run a business by yourself considering you work alone most of the time

Cons

Unorganized management, horrible product, little to no training for ear piercing, long shifts without breaks, low employee retention rate, LOW pay, managers and third keys seem to have the same job description just different hours and pay - theres no clear split with responsibility

Advice to Management

Pay your managers a living wage

3. "Low pay, but easy job"

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Pembroke Pines, FL

Pros

It's a very easy mall job. Store typically doesn't open until 10 so it's not too early and you get half off all merch except piercings basically.

Cons

It only pays $9.50 an hour, and you seldom get more than 25 hours so it doesn't really pay bills if that's what you need. You also work alone almost all of your shift.

4. "Worse place to ever work."

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in San Diego, CA

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

50% off. Other then that, nothing really good.

Cons

First far most, by getting a job with Claires, you are literally signing your life away. My two and a half years I was exploited and not even given a thank you. They control your life, it's almost like joining a cult. Your underpaid To do everything a manager does. They have been written me up for going to the bathroom. They cut me out of my paychecks by 50$ and they always say "oh you'll get it your next paycheck" and your next pay check comes and your missing more money. Corporate office does absolutely nothing to contribute company (besides steal their workers money)

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like crap. I made the highest sales in all of our store and I when I asked to take a week off it was always declined...EVERY SINGLE TIME! This is honestly the worse company with terrible management and lots of favoritism.

5. "The definition of overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time

Pros

Good employee discount
    Occasionally fun if you like kids
    Merchandise is cute and trendy

Cons

The amount of housekeeping and paperwork is ridiculous
    Doing piercings
    Lots of theft
    Snotty teens and adults
    Large amounts of responsibility for little pay
    No weekly sales bonuses for 3rd key holders
    Weird promos that take 20 mins to explain to customers

Advice to Management

Sales incentives in the former of a Claire's gift card is not an incentive for any sane person.

Don't treat 3rd key holders like store managers if you're not going to pay them anything.

Staff your store well so any part-time employee doesn't have to work 6 days in a row a majority of the time.

If someone quits, hire another person right away

"don't stay more then a year"

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Chicago, IL

Pros

Learn about the basics of retail. It's a stepping stone to be able to gain the experience.

Cons

They dont care about the potential you have to being promoted into assistant managers or at all you can be there for 3+ or 6+ years like my coworker and they will NOT promote you at all. Of the managers don't like you, they will pick at you to get rid of you, even if it means making false write ups. The payroll sometimes says ERROR and you won't get paid your hours. And if they "fixed" it then sometimes, it won't even show on your check. The district manager is extremely unprofessional, so if you mess up once, they try to get rid of you even if it means setting you up. If your report to human resources, they say they will.investigate it but really nothing is done. You can run the whole store, know your numbers, your conversion, do the shipment and make the schedules and NOTHING! They won't promote you. They make you do bank runs and stay past 9:30 and won't even pay you for it. They hire you as part time and have you in the system as part time but sometimes give you full time hours just so you won't receive the benefits.

Advice to Management

Please look at your employees who have been at Claires for 3+ years and consider them for assistant manager or manager. 90% of these employees have the potential to run a store and make yearly sales but their shut down by unprofessional district managers who make it personal. Your losing great employees.

7. "No hours"

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Toledo, OH

Pros

Discount and piercing ears except when you get the parents who force piercings

Cons

Only one person working during the day which means you will have to pierce then ring put up stock alone

Advice to Management

Hire less ppl so that more people can have hours. But I know they do this so they won't have I pay insurance

8. "Claire's"

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Claire's Stores (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone gets along
    Mostly all start out as a third key

Cons

Training happens way too fast and you have to pick it up on your own. But it's really easy

Advice to Management

Stop being so Cliquey

9. "A roller-coaster of good and bad."

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to move up but normally stops at store manager.
    Good experience in entry level management.
    50% discount.

Cons

Training is not priority to company, to management, or higher up. They say it is but lack of training hours is ridiculous. I wasn't officially trained in anything and was expected to pierce ears and run the store alone.
    Only 1 employee throughout the entire day. Expected to get a ton of things done with no hours or help. Was expected to stay off the clock by my manager. She got mad when I didn't. This part might have only been my specific manager. I'm not working off the clock.

Advice to Management

More hours for proper training.
    More coverage during the week to ensure proper customer service, maintenance of store, and theft control.

10. "Key Holder"

Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Sumter, SC
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Sumter, SC

Pros

Discount, ease of scheduling changes, loved my store manager

Cons

No room for growth, district and regional managers who didn't care about individual experience

Advice to Management

Not every store's clientele is the same, can't expect the same numbers from a tourist town to one of a "hometown" store.