Claremont Graduate University "cgu" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Claremont Graduate University Employee Reviews about "cgu"

Updated May 1, 2019

3.6
Claremont Graduate University President Len Jessup
Len Jessup
Pros
  • "I enjoy my job and the people that I work with here at CGU(in 5 reviews)

• "learned a lot, especially for a graudant student who wants to find an acdamic job(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have not had any negative experiences here at CGU(in 4 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

Reviews about "cgu"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University part-time for more than a year

Pros

The students that I have been working with for the last few semesters have been great. They seem genuinely interested in learning and work hard. Once in a while there will be someone who doesn't come to class prepared as well as they should be, but that is generally not the case. The faculty members and the administrative staff are great as well. Never have I not received the support that I needed and they work with you to make sure that you are able to do your best work in the classroom. A really nice place to work at.

Cons

I have not had any negative experiences here at CGU.

Claremont Graduate University2019-05-01
  2. "Intense Budget Cuts Hamper Experience"

Current Employee - Student Worker in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Super supportive environment for graduate students to work while also studying full time; plenty of flexibility -Absolutely wonderful and friendly people; my close colleagues feel like family -Gorgeous campus and location

Cons

CGU has been undergoing some immense changes over the past few years. Being jostled from interim president to interim president has been chaotic and political. The biggest shift has been going to a centralized structure which has robbed many of the schools within the university of their culture and autonomy. This also has also created a lot of resentment from the staff within the schools who are being stripped of their rights (ex. departments were nearly barred from spending money and hosting commencement celebrations for their graduating students). Also, everyone is feeling the squeeze of budget cuts and it is hurting morale....from staff all the way down to students. However, I am hopeful that the new president, Len Jessup, will help to mitigate these issues with his new vision for the institution.

Claremont Graduate University2019-03-31
  3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoy my job and the people that I work with here at CGU! Faculty, staff and students always seem to be friendly and helpful.

Cons

Traffic getting to and from work can be difficult sometimes.

Claremont Graduate University2018-02-06
  4. "Embarrassment of the Claremont Consortium"

Current Employee - Professor

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Faculty members are given a high degree of freedom to set their own agendas. CGU has a very attractive sabbatical leave policy for tenure track faculty.

Cons

Horrendous leadership issues; 5 presidents in less than 10 years. CGU's leadership problems start at the top. It's Board of Trustees is third rate as evidenced in poor selection of presidents, failure to support the presidents they appoint, failure to undertake a capital campaign in more than 10 years, embarrassingly low level of giving to the university by board members (there are faculty who have given more than some of the board members), creation of a huge centralized infrastructure at the expense of faculty retention, new hires, student support, etc. The school is 85% tuition driven. Endowment performance is among the worst in academia. Not only has there been little in the way of new contributions to the endowment over the last 10 years, the CGU endowment suffered far and away the largest losses among the 7 Claremont Colleges with the recession, and among the worst for colleges and universities throughout the country. Post-recession recovery also has been among the worst in the US and absolutely the worst in the Claremont Consortium. There is virtually no attention given to the improvement of academic programs. One rarely if ever hears the term "quality" or expressions of aspirations for greatness coming from CGU leadership. What one hears constantly is the need to generate more revenues through tuition, more students at ever higher tuition rates. This is realized at the cost of admitting increasingly poorer students. Still, enrollments continue to decline. Most recently, the board has mandated that tuition expansion be created through online degree programs. The mandate with timelines was created with little or no faculty consultation and with far from significant contribution of resources. Faculty attrition accelerates, and the Stockholm Syndrome has set in among remaining CGU faculty.

Claremont Graduate University2017-08-24

"CGU is a Mess!!"

Current Employee - Administration

Pros

Faculty research is cutting edge & high caliber students.

Cons

CGU has major financial issues & instability. No room for growth, promotion, or advancement. Leadership is terrible and management is poor. Employee morale is down across all programs. Salaries are very low. Faculty are pre-Madonna's.

Claremont Graduate University2017-04-04
  6. "Great Place"

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University

Pros

The best things about working at CGU was the independence that being a TA offers. In addition, there is great flexibility in the hours worked.

Cons

The only down side would be the few hours offered but I suppose that this is in the best interest of the student so as not to conflict with the school work.

Claremont Graduate University2016-06-18
  7. "Solid place to work, great benefits and W/L balance, sort of isolated"

I have been working at Claremont Graduate University

Pros

CGU is a solid place to work. Pay is competitive and benefits are generous, and the "university atmosphere" is nice. Claremont's also beautiful.

Cons

The university could be better managed. Promotions don't always seem to be tied to performance. And while the university is a very nice place to work, it sometimes feels like an island unto itself.

Claremont Graduate University2014-05-09
  8. "Independent, flexible, and open community"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Claremont, CA

I worked at Claremont Graduate University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My various positions at CGU held certain characteristics in common. All of my roles, including research, tutoring, and teaching, provided a strong sense of independence. I was free to pursue my work in the way I saw best. I worked at my own pace, according to my own schedule, and focused on what I felt were the biggest priorities. The campus is calm and quiet, supportive to such a work environment.

Cons

There was not a whole lot of interaction from my supervisors. Because of the independent nature of the campus, at times I was not 100% sure what was expected of me, or if I was meeting the expectations of my supervisors. The campus can also get quiet lonely at times.

Claremont Graduate University2013-03-13

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews