Claremont University Consortium Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert A. Walton

1. "Place to grow and expand skillset"

Former Employee - Network Administrator in Redlands, CA
    Former Employee - Network Administrator in Redlands, CA

I worked at Claremont University Consortium (Less than a year)

Pros

I found that in IT at CUC specifically you are given an opportunity to learn and expand in a variety of areas due to the smaller scale of the group. As an example, a systems administrator can take part in learning many facets of the department from networking to application support and even project management. As an employee, I grew in various areas and had I not left, I probably would have grown more.

Cons

The environment is extremely open physically meaning everyone sees everyone. There are not a lot of walls high enough to really divide one department from another and it can be difficult to know where one department starts and where another ends. They were working to build separation by creating offices and cubical walls of separation, hopefully the separation will help in the future.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage growth and development in IT. Provide structured mentor-ship with goals and timelines for employees to grow and advance.

2. "Hostile Environment"

I have been working at Claremont University Consortium full-time

Pros

Subsidized lunches for the consortium provides employees with $2-$7 lunches with a good selection of salad bar and entree's daily. Free coffee, keurig brands and nespresso machines.

Cons

The office environment is very quiet, people are not very friendly. Leadership strives to intimidate staff (very rude, tantrum type style boss-one in particular) and seems staff is afraid to speak up, my manager gets yelled at. That is unacceptable. professional staff such as faculty are extremely annoying and entitled. Some of the operational staff is nice but it almost seems like no one can talk. There are cameras and you can hear a pin drop. Extremely low salaries!!! Project managers make less than $65k a year. Seems the wealth here is at the top 1%, there is no diversity among leadership the diversity lies within the worker bees.

Advice to Management

Lighten up! You have good people, treat them with a little respect and provide opportunities for growth. Also, start employing more permanent people instead of hiring on a temp basis. Salaries are way below market, you are not bench-marking outside of the private sector causing some pretty low wages. The word is that there is no budget, but I wonder when budgets are set if those that approve the salaries cut themselves a nice deal and divide what's left.

3. "Great benefits"

Pros

I worked with great people

Cons

Take too long to get anything done.

5. "Great place to work"

I worked at Claremont University Consortium part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and easy working environment. Very considerate and understanding management, and goals were made clear from the first day on the job.

Cons

Pay was on the low end for the available positions. Hours were not always ideal, and no benefits for part-time employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! This is a great place to work - just be sure you are giving your employees enough hours.

6. "Library Services Assistant"

Pros

Hours were great. The job is easy to balance with school/life. You learn a lot about research techniques via working with online databases and books.

Cons

The only con is that the pay is a bit low, but that is to be expected with a work study job.

7. "Peer Health Educator"

I worked at Claremont University Consortium part-time

Pros

Great benefits for student employees like free flu shots and other health related items. Amazing and friendly staff as well as supportive co-workers.

Cons

The mental health department is fairly weak. Although the services were free for up to 10 appointments, many of my peers as well as myself felt that the counselors were not effective in relieving mental health issues.

8. "Former employee"

Former Employee - I T/Telecommunications Department in Claremont, CA
    Former Employee - I T/Telecommunications Department in Claremont, CA

Pros

Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm great hours

Cons

Supervisior did drugs, gamble , and took kick backs , create a hostile work environment by turning co workers against each other . Then when confronted lied to save his job .

Advice to Management

Conduct an investigation bring in old employees talk with them ,

9. "Barista- Coffee Shop at Honnold Library"

Current Employee - Barist in Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Barist in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Claremont University Consortium part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Hours, fun place to work. they worked around your student schedule

Cons

the pay was really low.

10. "Challenging, interesting, dynamic university admin"

I worked at Claremont University Consortium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff, higher standards, fun student population

Cons

I enjoyed my time here, not much to say negative

11. "It's a great place to work"

Current Employee - Phone Operator in Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Phone Operator in Claremont, CA

Pros

Everyone is easy to work with, and they take good care of their employees.

Cons

No windows in my office.