Clark Construction Group Reviews in Costa Mesa, CA | Glassdoor

Clark Construction Group Costa Mesa Reviews

Costa Mesa, CA

3.5
Robert Moser

Pros
  • Great work environment and great people (in 14 reviews)

• Some of the best high profile jobs in the nation (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Could have a better work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours that often come with construction jobs (in 30 reviews)

1. "Great People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clark has great people to work with which makes the days go by faster and make them more fun. The leadership will push you to be better and give you more to help build you in your career. If you take charge of your own career here you can go far. There is stability with this company.

Cons

It's a bit old school on hours and flex time, which makes a work/life balance difficult. It can be done and they encourage it but there are a lot of time watchers which is frustrating. Work attire rules don't allow casual Fridays which would be a nice moral boost but the leadership wont allow it. Job sites can have jeans but the office can't.... not sure when jeans in an office hurt anything. Bonuses, raises and promotions are not clear how they are acheived so employees get frustrated. Employee need something to work toward and if it's all up in the air and there isn't consistancy then people get frustrated and don't care or try. Technology is WAY behind. So much time is working the old systems or not having a proper system in place. Makes a job very frustrating when you know if can be done better and faster but the leadership wont spend the money. Also with money, Clark needs to rethink their pay scales for current employees. New hires are making more than those of us that have been here for longer. Ternured employees shouldn't get punished for being loyal.

Advice to Management

Casual Fridays in the office is a start... it's the little things that can boost employee moral and engagement. More transparentcy in promotions and bonuses so employees know what they're working for and feel like that have a chance to acheive it. Investing in technology will eleminate a lot of wasted time doing things manually.

2. "Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clark is a great company to work for. They have supported most of my wishes and positions I wanted to work in.

Cons

Clark is rapidly becoming the stepping stone to other companies. I just found out that my salary after busting my butt for 3 years is now the salary they hire college grads for... Many of my co-workers have gone to other companies, receiving 30% raises for their experience. Don't know how much longer I will stick around here...

Advice to Management

Figure it out...

"Great Place to work, Brand Name"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

The projects are one of a kind and you'll have bragging rights
    Strong use of technology in operations - Office side
    New hire rotation gives you experience to work in Estimating as well as operations
    Well defined path of moving up - Different routes to take
    Excellent diversity - Lots of women in upper management
    Competitive compensation
    Opportunities to enhance knowledge - Corporate University / Reimbursement for Professional Certifications and Higher education (M.S/MBA)
    Fast promotions for A-type personalities - We can see a lot of young execs.

Cons

The cons apply to the overall construction industry - There is nothing specifically wrong with Clark, as far as Construction companies go.

LONG hours expected
    Minimum flexibility / Work Life balance
    Still learning to recognize people with advanced degrees (The industry recognizes people with experience, not P.H.Ds) - They clump all the new hires together, with or without college degrees and expect them to advance the same way (The compensation varies, but the job title stays the same)
    No choice in selection of projects or roles in a project - Can suddenly be moved to another city with little notice.
    Top heavy - Too many kings and not enough soldiers -Needs more middle managers. There are countless VPs getting a lion's share of the profits generated.

Advice to Management

Since there are a lot of new hires/entry level engineers, it would give you an edge over other companies if you learnt to manage the Gen Y folk. You can't always expect to mentor and create more conservative, mini-yous - The industry shift to manage new blood is sluggish and would need leaders like you to change it.

"It's hard but worth it"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Clark Construction Group, especially its western region, builds unique projects on a scale that most contractors don't even pursue with any frequency. My experience with the officers of the western region is that if I want it, they will allow me to pursue it as long as it doesn't interfere with what they expect of me.

Cons

Like most of its competitors, the staff generally has to put long hours (50hr+/wk during normal loads - occasional 60-70hr/wk). I believe the bonuses are some of the lowest, especially when compared ESOP contractors.

Advice to Management

Larger bonuses and transparency. We all know that the company is profitable, the staff would like a larger portion based on the work we put in.