Clark Construction Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Moser

Pros
  • Great work environment and great people (in 14 reviews)

• Some of the best high profile jobs in the nation (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Could have a better work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours that often come with construction jobs (in 30 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Clark Construction Group (More than a year)

Pros

Professional and stable construction company. I would definitely work for them again.

Cons

Promotion take a long time, just like it does at any other company of this size.

2. "Senior Quality Control Manager"

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits 401k + Company Contribution Plan, Company Car, Internal Training, Team Atmosphere, Starting To Focus on Retaining Employees Long Term.

Cons

Long hours needs, improvement on work life balance.No bonus until project is complete which presents an issue on long term projects. Annual raises average just under 3% a year.

Advice to Management

Provide balanced training for all professionals and opportunities along with roadmaps to succeed in career goals. Provide mid project bonuses on long term projects. Circulate employees to different business units to gain a more rounded experience.

3. "Good experience"

Pros

Great benefits exciting work place

Cons

Not many cons really except how long it takes to get some vacation time

"Overall a solid company to start your career."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Clark Construction Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are awesome you have some of the most professional and intelligent people in the industry keep rewarding those who perform.

Eager to give you a title and move you up quickly if you are a top performer.

Training is phenomenal any that is remotely related to your job they encourage you pursue it and they are more than willing to pay for it.

Cons

Clark has been around for 100 years, and sometimes takes the mentality if you don't like it now you not going to like it in the next 100 years.

Pay is on the low side of the industry and the pay raises are small. Talking about pay is taboo and is frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Focus on trying to connect with the with entry level and middle management.

"Good Experience"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was at Clark Construction Group for over 6 years. Clark is top notch and you wlll gain a well rounded construction experience. I made many life long friends with Clark. I also got to work on very notable and important projects. I had excellent leadership in my first 5 years and as they say thrown in to sink or swim. This made me a better Project Manager and leader in the industry. I have great respect for this company.

Cons

The organization lacks flexibility due to its size. I believe the West Coast has grown so substantially that they should split from the East Coast. The corporate structure doesnt allow this, however I believe this would be best for the organization. Compensation is below industry standards on the West Coast and is based on East Coast cost of living adjustment. Work life balance is always a struggle, but I believe this company needs to encourage people to leave when they are done with work and not convey a perception of being busy when they arent.

Advice to Management

Split the two regions and restructure the organization. This is a tall order but I believe the value structure of the two regions are different, the employees have different values, on a work level and personel level.

7. "Gray Place to Learn"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An excellent place to start your career and learn the construction industry. Clark will provide you with a very strong foundation as long as you put in the work. Very good support system from the various departments

Cons

You'll need to put in a lot of time to see the fruits of your labor. Can be a grind at times, but you'll be exposed to some amazing opportunities to work on projects and meet people, subs, etc you can learn from.

Advice to Management

Help employees balance work life. There are lots of industry organizations, but may be difficult to participate due to work load/commitments.

8. "Fantastic place to work"

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time

Pros

Clark fostered a fantastic corporate culture that taught hard work and responsibility, offering young employees immediate experience by getting them involved in all phases of construction efforts.

Cons

I can't think of any cons associated with working at Clark. It is a large corporation, however it doesn't really feel that way.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring bright, diverse employees and continue to support Clark University - some of my best learning and networking occurred in internal courses.

9. "General laborer"

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours, very helpful towards figuring out pay discrepancies

Cons

Upper management needs work. They like to segregate and forget about the lower workers

10. "Project Engineer"

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time

Pros

Utilizes your strengths and makes use of your potential to ensure you are in the right position on the job site

Cons

The first several years of working they will hand you the more less-liked aspects of working as a new employee such as being told to work weekdays and relocating to other nearby jobsites often.

Advice to Management

Continue to utilize your employees strengths to ensure they are at the optimal position on the job site regarding their background, previous experience, and overall attitude to the occupation.

"If you are looking for a positive culture you will not find it at Clark Construction"

Former Employee - Assistant Superintendent in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Superintendent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Compensation
    -Successful Company/Job Security
    -Opportunity
    -Semi Annual Training Outings

Cons

The warm welcome is non existent. Staff meetings are cut throat often threatening team members jobs with hopes for success in management's unrealistic schedule. Moral is very low in the Chicago branch. Turnover rate is very high with this company for a reason. Specifically in Chicago the branch has multiplied the team members by 200% in the past few years. This has put the company culture on the back burner. It is dwindling new associates giving a bad representation of a successful GC like Clark. There is no structure from day 1 walking on to the job. If you are not in the clique you will not be recognized or even sought after. The comradery is there but impossible to penetrate coming from another company. If you come from an outside company you will be seen as an outsider and will be reminded of this on a daily basis. You can only put up with favoritism and being treated like a red headed step child for so long. The long hours and deconstructive criticism going around the entire team in Chicago was not worth making a sacrifice for.

Advice to Management

Folks in Bethesda, MD in the main office my suggestion to the executives there is to get out of the office and investigate the Chicago office. Dave Trolian is a great guy but I believe he needs help in reconstructing the Chicago culture. I am 100% certain that the culture that is present here in Chicago is not of the standard across the entire company. You have a great number of entry-mid level positions filled here which essentially is lacking guidance from true Veterans of the company.

I came from a company who enstilled very strong core values that Clark did not seem to even recognize in Chicago. Simple core values involving safety, quality, relationships with your teammates, and relationships with your trades. If you put more time into showing the younger generations the way to great success you might have people want to stick around for longer. The only way you can address the work/life balance issue is to provide appropriate manpower for each job. Listen to the people on the front lines and not the individuals who sit in a leather chair. You cannot simply read the numbers from a quarterly report to understand the Chicago branch. Get out of the office and expense a trip to Chicago to walk every job site. Do your own investigation. Make Clark a positive place to work again.