Clark Construction Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Clark Construction Group President and CEO Robert Moser
Robert Moser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work environment and great people" (in 20 reviews)

• "Lots of opportunity based completely on performance and quality of work" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some jobs are understaffed which makes it hard to have a good work-life balance" (in 32 reviews)

• "Long hours, need to be available 24x7" (in 42 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great opportunity"

Current Employee - Project Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth. Great opportunity to learn and challenge myself while getting the support from my manager. Great group of employees who are high-performers and proud of what they build
    Company leadership responds well to criticism and always looks for ways to improve

Cons

Demanding work schedule at times, though this is a point the company leadership is trying to improve

Advice to Management

Continue your work to create a sustainable work-life balance and a more flexible environment/culture

2. "Project Engineer, Project Manager, Sr Project Manager, Project Executive"

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Privately Held, Early Upward Mobility thru greater responsibility, family environment, interesting projects with great mentors and team members around you.

Cons

General Construction Industry hours (50+/week), Big projects that can have long durations

"Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work on interesting projects and you get a lot of exposure to different aspects of construction. There are a lot of opportunities and they are willing to train and groom if you're assertive and show you can handle more responsibility.

The project teams have close relationships and are family oriented. The people are great and the organizational culture outside of work is very welcoming and active. There are a bunch of different intramural sports teams and volunteering events for those interested in extracurricular activities. Its a good way to make friends and make a big company small.

The benefits are pretty good and you don't get any grief for taking time off.

Cons

During crunch time, the hours can get long and it's easy to get burnt out. It's not uncommon to work consecutive weekends.

Some jobs are understaffed which makes it hard to have a good work-life balance.

They're working on the evaluation process but constructive feedback isn't consistent. You don't get very much feedback on things you do well or on areas where you need improvement. Similarly, it's not clear what actions will lead to a promotion or conversely, what actions are keeping you from a promotion.

Aug 10, 2018 – Senior Vice President, Talent

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. There are various times during a project’s duration when the teams are putting in extra hours. Thank you for your hard work and dedication!

We... More

4. "Custom Opportunities & an Industry Leader!"

Current Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Company will create custom opportunities that fit an employee's interests and skills in order to retain/engage that employee
    - Leadership genuinely cares about the well-being of each employee
    - Passionate employees and leaders (we build cool things and everyone is very driven by that mission)
    - Very social atmosphere, many people are friends outside of the workplace
    - Strong business and financials, no fear of losing job due to poor financial management
    - Culture of innovation and collaboration
    - Genuinely seeking continuous improvement, from construction management to people management to business management. Executive leadership is self-aware of the issues and are investing in making it better.
    - Diversity in kinds of opportunities due to project and geographic breadth as well as Clark's many subsidiaries (Clark Concrete, Atkinson, Edgemoor, C3M, etc.)
    - Huge responsibility and leadership opportunities at a young age
    - Executive leadership is accessible and wants to listen

Cons

- Some residual legacy "old-school" culture with older managers (less flexible work mindset, you should just sacrifice for the job, discouraging of taking paternity leave, don't value soft skills, etc.)
    - Your experience is very much defined by your manager and project team which can vary tremendously across the company. May have a really positive experience in one place and poor experience on your next job. The company has several initiatives to work on this, but can still be an issue.
    - No clear/streamlined way to move through company (different regions or business units). All dependent on having an engaged manager who looks out for you.
    - Baseline benefits. Could improve amount of vacation time and be more progressive with benefit options (extended mat leave, PTO vs vacation/sick days, flexible working, paid commuting, etc)

Advice to Management

Keep investing in improving the employee experience. Many recent initiatives have made a big impact on employee well-being and happiness, so let's keep driving them!

5. "Good benefits and overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, smart employees, organized company

Cons

Sometimes people are asked to move for a project assignment. Because Clark works all across the country, it may be hard to stay in the same place throughout your career.

6. "Great Company. Fun, rewarding, challenging, empowering"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've thoroughly enjoyed my ongoing experience at Clark Construction. The company has continually invested in both my professional and personal growth. This isn't an aberration, but a reflection of the company's inherent and stated values. Examples of professional development opportunities include a week-long immersive project management training with hundreds of peers from around the country, challenging and engaging project assignments, and opportunities to travel and learn from other project teams around the country. Personal development opportunities include strong compensation and benefits packages, excellent family leave opportunities (2 weeks paid parental leave for new fathers, more for mothers), and a genuine interest and support from management in the health and well-being of employees and their families. Clark seems to be a leader in promoting racial and gender diversity within the US construction industry. Management is approachable and engaged in supporting the team in a successful project delivery. The corporate hub invests significantly in engaging and informing the various divisions and locations around the country. Project teams are both professional and fun.

My favorite example of a Clark benefit, is when my wife gave birth to our first child, not only did the company give me two weeks paid leave, but my managers setup the job to ensure that my work was covered as well as possible while I was out. No one made me feel bad about using my benefit, and everyone went out of their way to take on a little more so I could take off. I'm truly grateful for not just company policy to support personal growth, but management and team execution in the spirit of those policies. Working for Clark has been the best job I've ever had, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend a career with Clark to anyone.

Cons

My biggest complaint about Clark is probably one I would have about any company and is more of a complaint about the dominant culture in the United States. The catering often isn't healthy, the beverages purchased for lunches are always sodas or bottled water, vacation time is insufficient, the recycling efforts in the office and on the construction site could be enhanced, carbon/energy/environmental footprints should be tracked, cost savings could be realized and distributed. Clark is probably performing above average on many wellness and sustainability initiatives, but I am passionate about these topics and would like to see the company become more of a leader in these areas.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people, at all levels, as THE key asset. Be willing to step up and stand out on sustainability and wellness initiatives. Continue to seek to promote from within but value the experience that can come from outside hires. Maintain an emphasis on both personal and professional development for employees.

Aug 10, 2018 – Senior Vice President, Talent

Thank you for your thorough review of your Clark experience. We loved hearing your examples of how Clark has invested in you both personally and professionally! At Clark, we are devoted to creating... More

7. "Driving Your Own Career"

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- purposeful training responding to the needs of the employee, marketplace and company
    - you can expand learning and growth at your own pace
    - creativity is expected and encouraged!

Cons

- no cons to share!

Advice to Management

Continue to provide opportunities for growth throughout the regions and departments.

Aug 10, 2018 – Senior Vice President, Talent

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. At Clark, we are devoted to providing training and opportunities to turn our employees into industry leaders!
    - Brian Flegel, SVP, Talent

8. "Project Manger"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Clark Construction Group (More than a year)

Pros

Great company and growth opportunity.

Cons

The life work balance is difficult.

9. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Every day is different...on purpose...if the projects are not different each day then we aren't building.
    - The teams that we have come from all areas of the country, all backgrounds, and all seem to find a rhythm that creates some incredible projects.
    - We are a relatively flat organization where Engineers, Superintendents, and Project Managers have frequent and personal interactions with the leadership of the company.

Cons

- At times, everyone must roll their sleeves up and get down in the details of complicated problem sets.
    - Not everything goes according to plan and that can set a project team back for months at a time.
    - Tough jobs typically come from tough clients.

Advice to Management

- Figure out a way to build trust at every level of the company.
    - Travel together once a year to each region.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of intelligent managers and executives within Clark who can offer you advice on your career and personal life. Many of whom are from the DMV area so have a good perspective of how to adjust to the area and make it a good place for you to live. Good benefits for an entry level job and depending on your executive, could have some nice incentives including bonuses for safety related successes as well as for overall project success. Clark offers a program for new hires to get involved with others in the same position to view project, volunteer around DC, and have social outings to get to know the area.

Cons

A lack of transparency with how promotions are awarded. Feels as if many promotions are given based off of nepotism and company image and less of merit based promotions. You have no say in your first project as a new hire so if you are put into a bad position, you feel like you are digging your way out of a hole to catch your coworkers. Upper management is hit and miss at times when it comes to going to bat for you. Whether it be that they are more involved in other projects and don’t have the time to talk to you or they generally could care less about how you’re doing in the company and more about the bottom line. As it pertains to the different business groups at Clark, there needs to be more fluidity between groups. Clark assigns you to certain business groups not solely based on your interest but also your ability to get to work. For example, if you tell Clark you have a vehicle as opposed to those who don’t, you will be out on projects that can be very far from the DC area and will require you to drive. That was never disclosed but it is self evident since being here, with no stipend offered to those who drive over an hour to work everyday. You may ask why you live so far from your project you may ask, to which Clark purposely doesn’t tell you where you will be working until 2 weeks prior to orientation because they want you to live where you want to live and don’t want to dictate that based off of your project location. That remains true even if you are living in Virginia and have to commute to Baltimore.

Advice to Management

If you are going to offer a “rubric” to working your way up the company ladder, you need to stick to that structure or offer employees the ability to learn the tasks it takes to earn a promotion. There needs to be a lot more open dialogue and transparency. It’s often a wonder when and where you will be moved to between projects that greatly affects how you feel about the company. Coming into work on Friday and finding you’ll be reporting somewhere 30 miles from your previous job site on Monday is a major stress. Lastly, to continue with that same point, HR and upper management need to be on the same page. It is a great disservice to speak to HR as a college graduate and hear about the company is heading in a certain direction to only find out months later that vision was not true, as told directly by management.

Jul 27, 2018 – Senior Vice President, Talent

Thank you for your thorough review of your Clark experience. Recognizing the role job placement has on significant life decisions, we are re-evaluating our communication process for new hire job... More