Clark Construction Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Clark Construction Group President and CEO Robert Moser
Robert Moser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Interesting/high profile projects, people focused, good opportunity for women" (in 14 reviews)

• "Great people, interesting work, cool locations" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some jobs are understaffed which makes it hard to have a good work-life balance" (in 36 reviews)

• "Stupidly long hours (pushing 70/week at times)" (in 48 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great opportunity"

Current Employee - Project Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth. Great opportunity to learn and challenge myself while getting the support from my manager. Great group of employees who are high-performers and proud of what they build
    Company leadership responds well to criticism and always looks for ways to improve

Cons

Demanding work schedule at times, though this is a point the company leadership is trying to improve

Advice to Management

Continue your work to create a sustainable work-life balance and a more flexible environment/culture

2. "Great Place for a Career"

Current Employee - Project Executive in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Project Executive in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Clark provides the opportunity to work on the most exciting projects in the industry. Giving back to the communities is a core value. The culture is merit based allowing individuals tremendous growth potential with significant and growing investment by Clark in continuing education and professional development. Clark is a privately owned company that feels small while building on a large scale nationally.

Cons

Construction is a challenging business, especially on the scale of projects that Clark performs. Work can involve difficult conversations with different project stakeholders and work hours can vary depending on the phase of projects.

Advice to Management

Continue to prioritize training and professional development to support the growth of your people.

3. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The upper management takes an active role in mentoring the engineers. Great place to learn.

Cons

A lot of new hires leave after a year or two due to the demanding nature of the job

4. "The Clark Family"

Current Employee - Project Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Project Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our people are family. We each operate with a tremendous amount of responsibility as well as support. Innovation, idea sharing, and continuous improvement are at the core of our leadership message in all aspects of our business.

Cons

Need to be prepared to make decisions, and lead through difficult circumstances.

Advice to Management

Maintain innovative approach and leadership training.

5. "Demanding job provides stability"

Current Employee - Assistant Superintendent
    Current Employee - Assistant Superintendent

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable work in DC area. Provides profit sharing and good health/dental benefits.

Cons

Vacation time awarded and holidays seems slightly below average. Salary is on the low side in the construction industry. Would like to see paid mileage for projects that require extended commute.

Advice to Management

Would like to see PTO instead of vacation/sick time.

6. "Clark is a great company!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clark understands that the construction industry is stressful and demands long hours, but they do a great job of allowing their employees a work/life balance when available and necessary. Along with this, they show their appreciation by their benefits, compensation, and perks.

Cons

Clark is a national corporation which can cause some cons (non-exposure to leadership, no help from resources, or isolation from corporate head quarters), but Clark does a great job of mitigating these in all regions.

7. "Great Projects, Easy to be Overlooked"

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time

Pros

Challenging, cool projects that change cities

Cons

Unless your manager is well connected, it is easy to be overlooked for raises/promotions

8. "Solid Company"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, interesting work, cool locations

Cons

Modest pay, long hours, traffic (location specific)

Advice to Management

None, they do well to take care of those that perform.

9. "More Than a Job: A Career and Life"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I began my career at Clark right out of graduate school and it wasn't long in to working that I realized I had found more than a job; this is where I would spend my career and life. The friendships I have made have become family. The opportunities I have been given were quickly a career path to serve my individual work ethic.

Cons

I think we could do a better job teaching our folks how to have hard conversations earlier in their career. Everyone at Clark eventually learns it but our young Engineers could benefit greatly from it.

10. "Large Company with Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work on some of the biggest, most important projects in the country! Whether it's airports, convention centers, civil projects or residential/commercial/office space Clark does it all.

Cons

For being such a large company, you would expect greater organization and more standardized procedures for the ways some projects are managed. Additionally, work-life balance can vary and be difficult based on your project/ position as projects tend to be spread out over large area. Working 12 hour days and commuting an hour each way for certain projects means you have to be very committed to your project/responsibilities.