Clark Construction Group Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.7
Robert Moser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Challenging to find work/life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Can work long hours if in the field (in 37 reviews)

1. "Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All around great company. People like working here, competitive pay and benefits, lots of room for promotions.

Cons

Can work long hours if in the field.

2. "Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot quickly, given lots of responsibility right away.

Cons

Long hours, poor work life balance, too much work on each employee.

Advice to Management

Allow new hires to get involved with learning project management sooner.

3. "Clark provides a high level of experience and responsibility in multiple areas within construction."

Current Employee - Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are given a high level of responsibility early on which leads to quick professional growth and experience in multiple areas within construction management. Strong support network for entry level positions to avoid overworking and to prepare for more responsibility.

Cons

The hours can be long, a lot is expected of entry level engineers. Expect a rapid increase in responsibility until you realize what you're capable of. Not necessarily a bad thing.

4. "Life at Clark"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of responsibility, great networking, goal-oriented, customer focused, safety is key

Cons

Working on people oriented, construction hours, life outside of work

Advice to Management

Check on employees more often

5. "Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clark constructs monumental buildings across the country. Great benefits, opportunities are available, respected reputation.

Cons

Clark is too worried about taking care of the customers rather than focusing on their own people.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people and watch your people take care of your customer.

6. "If you want to learn anything and everything about commercial construction the Clark is the place for you."

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Clark Construction Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clark has great employee benefits and several programs available to help you network within Clark and the industry (intramural sports, project management conferences, etc.).

Cons

You will work at least 50 hours a week, not including occasional weekend work. If you work in the Mid-Atlantic region take serious consideration into where you live and how you travel because your commute could be as short as 30 minutes or longer than 2 hours. Depending on the state of the project, the work environment may be high pressure. You will be expected to deliver results regardless of what may have happened before you were on the project. Emotions can run high at times, although it should never be taken as a personal attack (at least in my experience). Upper management does want you to be successful, but it is not always apparent when projects are behind schedule.

Advice to Management

It is important to have a sit down meeting every week to discuss the state of the project and understand where engineers do or do not need help. In many cases there are decisions or actions that require the help of upper management in order for progress to be made. A weekly meeting would help everyone understand all of the problems of the job and what solutions are possible.

7. "Lacking work/life balance - but a lot of opportunity to grow"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like taking initiative, learning on your feet, and being given real responsibility right from the get-go then Clark is a great place to work. My resume after three years rivaled that of people with 5-8 years of experience at other companies.

Cons

Lack of flexibility with working hours. People there are definitely proud of working hard, but sometimes that extended into being in the office at all hours unnecessarily when they weren't busy - just to be there, which created expectations for everybody to do the same. Let's just say that leaving ANYTIME before 5:00, no matter how early in the morning you started - was met with some judgmental looks.

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Clark Construction Group (More than a year)

Pros

Professional and stable construction company. I would definitely work for them again.

Cons

Promotion take a long time, just like it does at any other company of this size.

"Good Experience"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was at Clark Construction Group for over 6 years. Clark is top notch and you wlll gain a well rounded construction experience. I made many life long friends with Clark. I also got to work on very notable and important projects. I had excellent leadership in my first 5 years and as they say thrown in to sink or swim. This made me a better Project Manager and leader in the industry. I have great respect for this company.

Cons

The organization lacks flexibility due to its size. I believe the West Coast has grown so substantially that they should split from the East Coast. The corporate structure doesnt allow this, however I believe this would be best for the organization. Compensation is below industry standards on the West Coast and is based on East Coast cost of living adjustment. Work life balance is always a struggle, but I believe this company needs to encourage people to leave when they are done with work and not convey a perception of being busy when they arent.

Advice to Management

Split the two regions and restructure the organization. This is a tall order but I believe the value structure of the two regions are different, the employees have different values, on a work level and personel level.

10. "Gray Place to Learn"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Clark Construction Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An excellent place to start your career and learn the construction industry. Clark will provide you with a very strong foundation as long as you put in the work. Very good support system from the various departments

Cons

You'll need to put in a lot of time to see the fruits of your labor. Can be a grind at times, but you'll be exposed to some amazing opportunities to work on projects and meet people, subs, etc you can learn from.

Advice to Management

Help employees balance work life. There are lots of industry organizations, but may be difficult to participate due to work load/commitments.