Clark County School District Reviews in Las Vegas, NV | Glassdoor

Las Vegas, NV

2.6
Pat Skorkawski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Easy to change schools if you want to try a different school or want to work closer to home (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits supportive to employees (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay and rude office managers (certain locations) (in 17 reviews)

• No benefits for substitute teachers or substitute support staff (in 10 reviews)

1. "Working For CCSD as a Substitute"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher/Support Staff Substitute in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher/Support Staff Substitute in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was great to choose which assignments and days I wanted to work. Met some wonderful colleagues, which are still acquaintances or friends to this day. Generally loved being able to make good connections with the youth. Working hours worked well with my own childs schooling hours. Don't have to participate in any of the regular staff service days.

Cons

Extremely slow process in getting someone to start working, once they are offered a position. No benefits for substitute teachers or substitute support staff. Starting pay for the majority of support staff positions is too low to be able to survive. Getting a substitute teacher license is expensive, for those employees starting out with not a dime to their name. Kids can be hard to handle, depending on the area of the school and home life. No assignments during the summer season, so you have to find another temporary job for those months.

"Frustration Central"

Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are some opportunities to work with excellent administrators, outstanding teachers, and really great students - some more challenging than others - and to create and contribute to amazing growth and development, both in students and in a school. . .

Cons

. . . unfortunately, the turnover and transiency (and completely senseless transfer in school administration) means that any great school will be built a death blow within 5 years by a complete replacement of administration within a year's time, while the faculty trickles out as they are chased out or replaced by the new administration. Think: New York slumlords clearing out a rent-controlled building to sell to a luxury condo developer - if the building started out as luxury condos.

Advice to Management

The best Assistant Principals you have are rewarded by getting transferred over and over, in the same position, to bail out the schools that are failing because of failing principals. They are your "fixers" and they fix things for their "superiors" and instead of being given a promotion to principal, they are sent to fix another school, while the failing principal is again transferred to destroy another school.
    This is not the only problem or the only reason this district is failing. (I left for this reason, but also because our health plan is a nightmare.) However, having said this, I have seen schools crumble from the top down, all from ONE administrator coming in. It's like watching dominoes fall, and it's not an isolated incident - it's chronic. In 11 years with this district, the best AP I've known has applied to be principal repeatedly, and is so much more qualified than many I've worked under, but he gets passed over in favor of being a "fixer" for all these principals that need fixing while good schools go bad and good teachers leave the district entirely, like I did, my husband did, and almost everyone I know who had moved there to work did.

"Worst school district ever"

Former Employee - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

absolutely nothing was good about this school district

Cons

horrible management from entire school board

4. "Rewarding for the Heart, not the Wallet"

Current Employee - First Aid Safety Assistant Floater in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - First Aid Safety Assistant Floater in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working in the district is the students. Watching that light bulb go off or the "ah-ha" moment in their eyes is so gratifying. At the end of the day, the student are why we are even working our butts off getting paid so horribly. That smile you get from students when you walk through the building or into a classroom because these students enjoy being around someone they know actually cares and who will work with them is beyond rewarding.

Cons

There has been a pay freeze for a very long time, but they just gave a little over 1% increase. CCSD is always years behind on raises also. You are supposed to get a pay range increase after one year and then again very five years, and I got mine two years after I was supposed to receive it. I know several employees who got their 10 year pay range increase their 15th year in the district. The special education department is very over worked and under paid. The burnout rate of special education teachers is three years. The district is hurting for employees so badly that they literally hire anyone with a certificate or degree or who simply says they love children, which is not a good thing in the long run.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employee's. Stop using and abusing them and remember that people get really burnt out if they do not get to catch their breath. The district employee devote everything they have to our students and they deserve to been compensated for their hard work.

5. "Career as a Teacher"

Former Employee - Science Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Science Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding benefits and great job satisfaction watching students grow and learn.

Cons

CCSD is a gigantic bureaucratic organization approaching the Peter's Principle Syndrome.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your lack of performance.

6. "This is a difficult position with many rewards from the children."

Current Employee - School Counselor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - School Counselor in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

The schedule is wonderful for someone raising children. Helping students succeed and manage their lives is very satisfying. The best thing for me was taking my daughter to work with me every day for years as we were both in the same schools.

Cons

It is extremely stressful with more being piled on our plates every year. It's difficult to get through my workload with reasonable hours.

Advice to Management

Place more value into employees and hold Adminisration accountable at the building sites. There are many administrative bullies.

7. "I really like it here."

Current Employee - School Psychologist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - School Psychologist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great job security, and the hours of work is very reasonable.

Cons

It's a massive district, so things are disorganized.

"Gen Ed Intermediate"

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Phasing out of all track school.

Cons

Paper work, lack of pay increase, lack of cost of living wage in 7 years, decreasing support with basic needs such as support with discipline.

Advice to Management

Teacher shortage will continue with increasing discipline issues and lack of alternative options for disruptive students.

"CCSD teacher--27 years"

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are always desperate to hire teachers. Lots of job security. Some admin are ok, others are completely incompetent. Promotions up to admin are based primarily upon "who you know" and not necessarily the most qualified. There are literally schools on every corner so you can probably work close to home. The kids are OK...typical students. Great benefits package (retirement) but the insurance is getting worse by the year.

Cons

Due to the scarcity of teachers here, you may end up working with some pretty lazy/stupid colleagues. CCSD doesn't seem to weed them out, so year after year you end up providing curriculum materials and guidance to teachers who may have more time in the classroom than you! Way upper admin are spoiled rotten with money, technology and supplies and teachers must fend for themselves. More kids in the classroom means we don't get a pay cut. The new salary schedule is a confusing pile of crap and therefore raises for teachers are even harder to get. Forget COLAs, if you are into that. A teacher can become an admin with only 5 years in the classroom so you get a lot of naive, inexperienced admin supervising veteran teachers. At the bottom level (teachers) we are working our butts off, but not so much at the top. I'm happy to be retired as I dreaded each day. If you are into lowering your standards to a level that keeps you up at night, CCSD is the place for you. The prescription drug coverage is great for antidepressants...lol...

Advice to Management

They know that they are too into promoting their friends and letting things slide. They don't care about what the teachers think...we could cut 50% of the admin outside of the schools and I wouldn't have noticed a difference in my day to day classroom experience. The constant "restructuring" of the district is just a way to shuffle you around, keep you and your buddies employed for disgustingly high wages, and make the public think that you are attempting to cut costs. The "pink castle" on Sahara is a prime example of your wasteful ways.

"The Teachers make it worthwhile"

Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The teachers are dedicated, and committed to the students.

Cons

Administration steals the joy of teaching from teachers by having over expectations, no respect for what the teachers do, and no accountability or consequences for bad behavior by students. Doesn't align with school mission. No support of teachers with career development.

Advice to Management

Embrace the most important relationship in the school system, the teacher and student... and support it unconditionally. Treat the teachers better, and drop the intimidation. Groupthink is a cancer running rampant through the school system.