Clark County School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Pat Skorkawski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Easy to change schools if you want to try a different school or want to work closer to home" (in 7 reviews)

• "Cost of living in Las Vegas is less than other major cities, so with your salary, you can afford more" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Offensively low pay for teachers" (in 24 reviews)

• "Constant salary freezes and terrible health insurance" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Good Place"

Pros

-Most of the people there are nice people

Cons

-sometimes it takes a while for some of the higher-ups to get things done

2. "review title"

I have been working at Clark County School District part-time

Pros

um i liked my team.

Cons

it was really really hot

3. "Substitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to see a broad spectrum of education in a large city. Flexible schedule. Occasional pleasant surprises (assemblies, concerts, drama performances, presentations). Sometimes have the opportunity to educate students. Potential for strong intangible benefits.

Cons

Highly varied quality of schools and administrators. Low pay and no benefits. No work during the summer. No way to know quality of school until you actually substitute there. Little to no feedback.

Advice to Management

How you treat your substitutes (especially the long-termers) is a strong reflection of your school. Some substitutes are very well educated and should not be considered babysitters. Well-behaved students do not start misbehaving just because there is a substitute.

4. "broken"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

job security, holidays off, 6 weeks in summer off

Cons

Classes are oversized. Kids with major behavior problems, often violent, are placed in regular classrooms. Special needs kids (autism, learning disabilities) placed in regular classrooms. You get one SPED aide , not trained all that well, to work with 3+ students with significantly different issues. no budget, no texts, you have to beg for copy paper and office supplies. The biggest goal is getting kids to pass SBACs, so you teach to the test.

Advice to Management

Pay less to corporate and admin, put more toward curriculum, kids, and teachers. More emphasis on learning and less on passing tests. We need more funding.

5. "Teacher"

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time

Pros

Colleagues, students, schedule, growth opportunities, supports recent College graduates

Cons

Budget Cuts, students, all depends on the individual school or administrator you work for. Not all schools are created equal.

Advice to Management

Administration is too top heavy at the headquarters.

"Substitute teacher"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to leave at the end of the day get to see where you want to teach and where you don't want to teach

Cons

No health insurance no benefits at all

Advice to Management

Give health insurance to substitute teachers who work a minimum of 20 hours per week the option to buy health insurance out of their check

7. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

You'll get to work with some awesome people who are committed to educating our young people.

Cons

None that I can think of.

8. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time

Pros

There are no good things to report.

Cons

Read the news about the issues.

Advice to Management

Respect.

9. "Find Something Else To Do"

Pros

It's a job. Seriously though, it's great to be the one stable, supportive point in the lives of many students, and it's awesome to get kids to love to learn.

Cons

Ugh, where do I start? Extremely low pay; no benefits; no direction, no support from fellow teachers. Want to be a better teacher? Figure it out on your own. Serious lack of respect for what you do and the effort you invest (not from the students!)

Advice to Management

Fairly compensate teachers; better balance from school to school (in every aspect); smaller class sizes; teacher/student stress should be lower.

10. "SPTA"

Current Employee - SPTA in Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - SPTA in Henderson, NV

Pros

It is a very satisfying job! Helping students learn accidemics and social life skills, and watching them succeed.

Cons

It is only a 9 month job and you don’t get paid for the other 3 months of the year.

Advice to Management

I enjoy the (management) administration we have here at the school I work for. They treat all employees equally.