Clark County School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Pat Skorkawski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits supportive to employees (in 12 reviews)

• Easy to change schools if you want to try a different school or want to work closer to home (in 6 reviews)

Cons

1. "Rewarding for the Heart, not the Wallet"

Current Employee - First Aid Safety Assistant Floater in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - First Aid Safety Assistant Floater in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working in the district is the students. Watching that light bulb go off or the "ah-ha" moment in their eyes is so gratifying. At the end of the day, the student are why we are even working our butts off getting paid so horribly. That smile you get from students when you walk through the building or into a classroom because these students enjoy being around someone they know actually cares and who will work with them is beyond rewarding.

Cons

There has been a pay freeze for a very long time, but they just gave a little over 1% increase. CCSD is always years behind on raises also. You are supposed to get a pay range increase after one year and then again very five years, and I got mine two years after I was supposed to receive it. I know several employees who got their 10 year pay range increase their 15th year in the district. The special education department is very over worked and under paid. The burnout rate of special education teachers is three years. The district is hurting for employees so badly that they literally hire anyone with a certificate or degree or who simply says they love children, which is not a good thing in the long run.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employee's. Stop using and abusing them and remember that people get really burnt out if they do not get to catch their breath. The district employee devote everything they have to our students and they deserve to been compensated for their hard work.

2. "Career as a Teacher"

Former Employee - Science Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Science Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding benefits and great job satisfaction watching students grow and learn.

Cons

CCSD is a gigantic bureaucratic organization approaching the Peter's Principle Syndrome.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your lack of performance.

3. "Great teachers and staff"

Former Employee - Assistant in Clarksville, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant in Clarksville, IN

I worked at Clark County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are very friendly, and management and staff are extremely helpful and understanding. It is a nice environment to work.

Cons

The staff is so good but they don't make up for the poor salary. The environment is wonderful and like a family but it's hard to live off of the pay.

4. "This is a difficult position with many rewards from the children."

Current Employee - School Counselor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - School Counselor in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

The schedule is wonderful for someone raising children. Helping students succeed and manage their lives is very satisfying. The best thing for me was taking my daughter to work with me every day for years as we were both in the same schools.

Cons

It is extremely stressful with more being piled on our plates every year. It's difficult to get through my workload with reasonable hours.

Advice to Management

Place more value into employees and hold Adminisration accountable at the building sites. There are many administrative bullies.

5. "I really like it here."

Current Employee - School Psychologist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - School Psychologist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great job security, and the hours of work is very reasonable.

Cons

It's a massive district, so things are disorganized.

"Gen Ed Intermediate"

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Phasing out of all track school.

Cons

Paper work, lack of pay increase, lack of cost of living wage in 7 years, decreasing support with basic needs such as support with discipline.

Advice to Management

Teacher shortage will continue with increasing discipline issues and lack of alternative options for disruptive students.

"CCSD teacher--27 years"

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Clark County School District (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are always desperate to hire teachers. Lots of job security. Some admin are ok, others are completely incompetent. Promotions up to admin are based primarily upon "who you know" and not necessarily the most qualified. There are literally schools on every corner so you can probably work close to home. The kids are OK...typical students. Great benefits package (retirement) but the insurance is getting worse by the year.

Cons

Due to the scarcity of teachers here, you may end up working with some pretty lazy/stupid colleagues. CCSD doesn't seem to weed them out, so year after year you end up providing curriculum materials and guidance to teachers who may have more time in the classroom than you! Way upper admin are spoiled rotten with money, technology and supplies and teachers must fend for themselves. More kids in the classroom means we don't get a pay cut. The new salary schedule is a confusing pile of crap and therefore raises for teachers are even harder to get. Forget COLAs, if you are into that. A teacher can become an admin with only 5 years in the classroom so you get a lot of naive, inexperienced admin supervising veteran teachers. At the bottom level (teachers) we are working our butts off, but not so much at the top. I'm happy to be retired as I dreaded each day. If you are into lowering your standards to a level that keeps you up at night, CCSD is the place for you. The prescription drug coverage is great for antidepressants...lol...

Advice to Management

They know that they are too into promoting their friends and letting things slide. They don't care about what the teachers think...we could cut 50% of the admin outside of the schools and I wouldn't have noticed a difference in my day to day classroom experience. The constant "restructuring" of the district is just a way to shuffle you around, keep you and your buddies employed for disgustingly high wages, and make the public think that you are attempting to cut costs. The "pink castle" on Sahara is a prime example of your wasteful ways.

"The Teachers make it worthwhile"

Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The teachers are dedicated, and committed to the students.

Cons

Administration steals the joy of teaching from teachers by having over expectations, no respect for what the teachers do, and no accountability or consequences for bad behavior by students. Doesn't align with school mission. No support of teachers with career development.

Advice to Management

Embrace the most important relationship in the school system, the teacher and student... and support it unconditionally. Treat the teachers better, and drop the intimidation. Groupthink is a cancer running rampant through the school system.

"Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Teacher in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Clark County School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the teachers are nice, the youngest fall the fastest usually and the ARL run away as soon as possible because of the behavior of the kids.

Cons

Incompetent administrators afraid of kids and parents. Blame everything on the teachers. Never want to give us a raise. Always take the kids' side. Rude kids with filthy mouths.

Advice to Management

Grow a spine and stand up to these ignorant parents and out of control kids. Stop being a sanctuary district and stop treating teachers like pond scum.

10. "Administration"

Current Employee - Assistant Principal in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Assistant Principal in North Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Retirement, sick time, vacation days, emotionally fulfilling

Cons

Communication is lacking, medical benefits are waning, politics plays too large a role in hiring/promotion, lack of transparency in hiring/promotion practices