KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Clark County School District

Is this your company?

Clark County School District

Add a Review

Clark County School District Employee Reviews about "ccsd"

Updated Nov 30, 2021

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,930

973 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good Benefits and I liked the people(in 67 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with!(in 30 reviews)
  • "Time off during the summer and all major holidays.(in 22 reviews)
  • "You get to help kids and coworkers are great for the most part.(in 20 reviews)
  • "Great staff and wonderful union.(in 20 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Clark County School District and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "ccsd"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Depends on superintendent

Sep 28, 2019 - Computer Science Teacher in Henderson, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

Clark County has a lot of technology for schools and lots of professional development offerings.

Cons

The superintendent might try to cheat you out of your pay. CCSD also doesn’t pay support staff well or take care of them.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

What Did I Ever Do to Deserve This?

Sep 30, 2013 - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's better than unemployment, I guess.

Cons

MORE! MORE! BETTER! BETTER! YOU DON'T WORK HARD ENOUGH! YOU AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH! No matter how many hours you work - and elementary teachers here routinely work 70-80-hr weeks (and it's getting closer and closer for the rest) - and no matter how good you are at actual teaching (versus running clubs or coaching or...) it is never enough and never good enough. And what's laughable is that many admin can't tell a good teacher from one who's less good. No decent union means virtually no stops on the amount of work that is dumped on you in the form of requirements - you must do this this many times per week, you must do that, you must have this paperwork weekly, etc. etc. etc. and on and on and more and more and more and more with no backing from anywhere. Many of these requirements come from admin who are dimwits. The CCSD believes in anagement by bullying and intimidation. ABUSIVE WORKING ENVIRONMENT, WHERE YOU ARE POWERLESS - STAY AWAY!

4 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Racist school district... If you are "ethnic," good luck!!!

Dec 5, 2014 - Teacher, Secondary in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pro: It was extremely easy to get a job teaching in CCSD; the interview process consisted of current principals at UNLV during the last semester. Pro: I loved helping students succeed and realize their true academic potential.

Cons

I felt out of place outside of my classroom because many of my colleagues (and admin) refused to have anything to do with me due to my race. I was always the only 'ethnic' teacher in my department and occasionally... the school. The majority of the teachers in this district are white. The majority of the administrators in CCSD are white. Furthermore, the majority of the students who are disciplined are... Hispanic and Black (regardless of the school's demographics). The majority of teachers who are disciplined for petty findings are.. minorities. There are many cons to working for the Clark County School District... the low pay, harassing work environment, and the racist bigots who are appointed to supervising roles. If you are interested in teaching for the Clark County School District, please think twice (or thrice) if you are a minority because they will make it incredibly difficult for you to perform your job and make a difference.

8 people found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

CCSD

Sep 22, 2020 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team and environment at CCSD

Cons

No opportunity for advancement at CCSD

Be the first to find this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great insight on what your children's teacher(s) goes through

Sep 20, 2015 - Substitute Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a substitute teacher for CCSD, it gives you great flexibility on when and where you want to work. The pay per day is variable on location of the school. It's a great way to give back to your community with your extra time during the week.

Cons

Substitute teachers can be reassigned at any given notice during the day to a position they may not feel comfortable with (ex. a different grade level or classroom that you may not prefer to be in). Teachers are expected to cram as much information as possible into a day for their students, which does not seem feasible and causes students to become disinterested and can cause behavioral issues in younger students. Guest teachers are expected to follow these type of lesson plans and keep the classroom under control at all times, which can be a challenge if the guest teacher does not have any past educator/classroom management experience. I have a lot more respect for our children's teachers for everything the have to deal with and put up with through our school district.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

A Very Large School District

Dec 26, 2017 - Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are many opportunities for Professional Growth and Development through CCSD. During my time there, I met many talented and motivated teachers trying to do their best in a system that is largely underfunded. For such a large school district, it was easy to communicate with people in the administration and Human Resources when necessary.

Cons

In order to do my job, I had to supply my classes with paper, pencils, highlighters, etc. Unfortunately, this is an issue many teachers face, no matter what district employees them.