Clarkson Eyecare Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Anthony Nunn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company with Many Opportunities!"

I have been working at Clarkson Eyecare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've found that working for Clarkson has been gratifying in many ways. Clarkson is a company who cares about their employees, and ensures that we have the resources we need to do our jobs. The environment is fast-paced, and never boring. Your coworkers become more like your family, which is something I really enjoy. It makes coming into work every day much more pleasant. Clarkson Eyecare is growing rapidly, which opens up many opportunities for employees as the company likes to promote from within. It is a company that you can build a career with, as long as you are willing to put forth the effort.

Cons

Working for Clarkson requires you to work Saturdays, which might be a challenge for some. Saturday shifts are only until 1:00, however, and you are also given a full day off during the week, as well as every Sunday, to make up for it.

"Rewarding Work"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Clarkson Eyecare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has grown a lot in the past few years, and with that growth has come opportunity for advancement. If you're hard working and highly accountable, you get rewarded. I've experienced that myself, and have seen a lot of my coworkers get promotions to higher positions and different departments.

The work can be really meaningful. You're helping and caring for people on a daily basis, and helping a child put on glasses for the first time and seeing the excitement and wonder on their face is one of the best moments you could witness. There's also the retail aspect, helping people pick out their frames which is really fun.

The majority of people I work with are caring and dedicated, and would do anything in their power to help our patients and each other. It's nice knowing you're not just a number.

Benefits have improved dramatically over the last couple years with a more generous PTO policy, 401k match, contribution to HSA, and life insurance paid for by the company. Health insurance is slightly better than before, but could definitely be better.

Cons

It's hard to find good people. It's getting better, but there are still quite a few employees who expect to be given the world by doing the bare minimum, and that's not how it works here. Some of them get with the program, and some of them don't. It seems like the ones who don't have left negative reviews here, and that's too bad. Working in healthcare is not easy, so I'd say a con is that people enter the business and think that if they just show up they will get rewarded, and that's just not the case. This is not a field for people who are just looking for their next gig. It is a field for people who want their work to have meaning and are willing to grow.

Health insurance for family members could be better.

3. "Call Center Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eureka, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eureka, MO

I worked at Clarkson Eyecare (More than 5 years)

Pros

They were pretty f lexible with you

Cons

The insurance they used to offer along with the low pay, has your child on Medicaid

Advice to Management

THE management at the call center need to practice what they preach

4. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Clarkson Eyecare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, opportunities for growth, team work environment, great benefits, fun and caring place to work, great leaders

Cons

Only con which isn't a problem for myself, is that work hours can sometimes be long. Clarkson has a couple days a week that they are open till 7 to help accomodate appointments for the public that works till 5.

5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Clarkson Eyecare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-caring for the public
    -management empowers/doesn't micromanage
    -steady pay increases (hard work pays off)
    -HR policies improving over time
    -great coworkers
    -nice perks (monthly bonus, voucher, purchase events, etc)

Cons

-health insurance is better now than in the past, but still needs improvement
    -communication about state of the company could be better

Advice to Management

-more communication on what is happening on the grand scale of things

6. "Terrible company. Keep looking!"

Former Employee - Optician in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Optician in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Clarkson Eyecare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of would be the uniforms. That made getting ready for work easier but i never wanted to go to work. Terrible company

Cons

The training was two weeks at the corporate office which was just watching power points. They don't prepare you for what you're expected to do once in the office. My first day at the office the manager informed me she would be firing her other employee. I should have took that as a big red flag. That was very unprofessional and then to have the girl come in and work half the day. I was so uncomfortable. So that left us short staffed but that's not a problem because the whole company is. They're always sending people to to other locations to help. They tell you that you won't have to travel often but that's a lie. I also did not feel trained so it was embarrassing to leave patients alone so much because I had questions. Sometimes you don't get a lunch break because it's so busy and there's not enough staff. Managers have it good I couldn't tell you how many smoke breaks mine would take throughout the day yet sometimes I couldn't take a lunch it made me very angry. Little pay. Long hours never off on Saturday and from what I saw there is not a lot of room for advancement. I wish I would have read the reviews before taking this job.

Advice to Management

Actually train people at the training center so they're prepared when they get to the office. Instead of constantly favoring the doctors and managers pay attention to the staff that's doing the hard work. I learned more from the opticians that came to help than I did from my own manager.

7. "Keep Looking"

Current Employee - Licensed Optician
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician

I have been working at Clarkson Eyecare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Clarkson Eyecare has taught me valuable customer service skills as well as how to function in a high stress environment at times. You get a scheduled day off during the week, somewhat flexible hours if you have engagements outside of work, and commission on top of hourly pay.

Cons

You are required to work every Saturday and stay late if a customer comes in for help. Clarkson is a health care facility but it is presented as more of a retail establishment with the hours they are open. Management is non-existent on a corporate level, meaning the higher-ups for certain regions act more like college sorority girls when dealing with issues. Office managers are good subject to change based on location.

Advice to Management

Don't let personal or catty issues stand in the way of you doing your job. Which is to show your employees that Clarkson is a decent place to work but is not their life. Show more sympathy to having time off when it is allowed by the schedule.

"Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Training Department Manager
    Current Employee - Training Department Manager

I have been working at Clarkson Eyecare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management that cares, Solid Core Values, Growing at a phenomenal rate.

Cons

The benefit plan is getting better every year.

9. "Don't walk away... RUN"

I worked at Clarkson Eyecare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your co-workers are the best part about this company. You can help each other make it through a week.

Cons

Leadership is very poor... from the top (VP)- down. There may be a few good managers but they are scarce. Realize that the talk is big and the follow through is not there as far as company culture concerned. You are told to be open and transparent and when you go to them (corporate management), you will get a smile and not a second thought. This is not a good company to work for if you generally care about people. Though the company was founded on family values, it has long been lost with the recent corporate leaders. There is no shortage of discrimination at Clarkson Eyecare/Eyecare Partners.

Advice to Management

I would tell you to look at the people that keep your six figure incomes flowing into your bank accounts and act on behalf of them. The hourly employees are not treated well and most of them cannot afford the healthcare plan that is offered. It absorbs most of their pay. I think that Eyecare Partners should take a step back because your reputation is not doing too well. This is a sad state of affairs.

The CEO is not Kelly Sweeny. His name is Kelly McCrann

"Fun, Challenging Work"

I have been working at Clarkson Eyecare full-time

Pros

I have worked in many offices different offices, and I have always enjoyed the patients and the people I work with. Not every office runs the same, but they all have their pluses and minuses. Overall, it is a great environment with plenty to learn in a multi-faceted company.

Cons

The benefits could definitely be better. Sometimes long hours but having a day off during the week is nice.