Clarkson University Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Clarkson University President and Trustee Tony Collins
Tony Collins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you like being outdoors it is a wonderful place to be (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Was not able to work as many hours as I wanted (in 2 reviews)

• Potsdam is a rural area, so if you don't like cows and woods, this isn't the place for you (in 4 reviews)

1. "Small School but very good"

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Potsdam, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Potsdam, NY

I worked at Clarkson University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professors are knowledgeable, office staffs are co-operative, helpful and well behaved

Cons

Low salary as Graduate student

2. "Area Coordinator"

Current Employee - Area Coordinator in Potsdam, NY
    Current Employee - Area Coordinator in Potsdam, NY

I have been working at Clarkson University (More than a year)

Pros

Learn the nature of Clarkson University and the benefits you receive as an employee.

Cons

Poor Structure to the department

Advice to Management

Needs to revamp the department

3. "Teaching Assistant at Clarkson University"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Potsdam, NY
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Potsdam, NY

I worked at Clarkson University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are flexible hours, good organizational culture, and reasonable workload. As a TA, you are in communication with both students and instructor that creates a goal driven environment.

Cons

As a student, sometimes there is some difficulty scheduling around classes, homework, projects, or team meetings. Another negative is that there are always going to be some students that are uninterested in the learning environment.

Advice to Management

There is very little advice I would give to management. The only way the system could be improved is to pay higher wages to TA's with additional experience or quality. This is constrained by available funds though.

4. "Research Assistant"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Potsdam, NY
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Potsdam, NY

I worked at Clarkson University (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to use number of sources to learn and international experience

Cons

Some south Asian professors are rude

Advice to Management

keep it up what you are doing

5. "Clarkson is a third-rate university"

Current Employee - Instructor in Potsdam, NY
    Current Employee - Instructor in Potsdam, NY

I have been working at Clarkson University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People can play hockey for free at Cheel Arena, although Clarkson Golden Knights men's hockey hasn't have much success on the ice.

Cons

The quality of research at Clarkson is sub-par. None of Clarkson's professors has been selected to the National Academies. The rating of Clarkson's education by the U.S. News is always pretty low.

Advice to Management

Clarkson needs an eminent president like RPI's Dr. Jackson.

6. "Graduate Student/Teaching Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA

I worked at Clarkson University (More than a year)

Pros

The school cares about students and graduate students, which pushes them to succeed both in and out of the classroom and laboratory.

Cons

No set work week hours

7. "Post Doc"

Current Employee - Post Doc in Potsdam, NY
    Current Employee - Post Doc in Potsdam, NY

I have been working at Clarkson University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

world class research, flexible hours, good community, safe environment for kids

Cons

weather ( 6 months winter with frequently go below -10F)

8. "Clarkson Fund Caller"

Current Employee - Caller in Potsdam, NY
    Current Employee - Caller in Potsdam, NY

I have been working at Clarkson University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Laid back managers and supervisors
    -Co-Workers are fellow students
    -Reasonable pay
    -Flexible schedule

Cons

-Shifts can pass slowly if no one picks up
    -Leaving 50 voicemail in a night can be tedious

Advice to Management

Keep it up, its a lot of fun working there. Perhaps bring the games back to keep shifts interesting.

"Staff focused on Student Service/Teaching"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potsdam, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potsdam, NY

I have been working at Clarkson University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Clarkson has fantastic students who embrace the notion of working hard. Most programs yield good jobs for students right out of college, with many employed with a semester still left to go. They wind up making good salaries and have great tracks in many top employers. There are exceptional benefits in the way of medical, retirement, vacation time, and tuition benefits if you want to go back to school yourself, or if your spouse or children do, if you have kids. So, the focus on students is rewarding and there are great fringe benefits. Those are great positives. If you like the outdoors and don't want to be part of the urban rat-race, then this could be a nice place to live as well, as we are surrounded by lakes, the mountains and the St. Lawrence River.

Cons

I am glad I wrote the pros first, because it is a reminder that our "customer" -- the student, comes first, and we do a great job with that. What I would say about working there is this: If you are talented and capable, you may feel, at times, like you are not surrounded by like people. Clarkson has a hard time attracting and retaining talent and so you add that to the slow-to-innovate environment of academia, and sometimes it feels stagnant. This is also compounded by what appears to be incredibly strained resources (and this varies by department). I have the sense the President, although he forges great partnerships politically and with other strategic opportunities to make the institution more competitive, has absolutely no clue just how low the morale is among many in different departments. It's hard working 60 hours a week with a skeleton staff and realize that it doesn't actually pay off. I don't just mean money -- in some departments, there appears to be a clear disinterest in employees. The episode of Seinfeld comes to mind when Kramer suggests everyone in the apartment wear name-tags so that the place felt more "friendly." Although here peers are friendly with peers, there can be this bizarre arrogance that trickles down from top to bottom, with stories of some staff sending emails or asking for meetings with their bosses to discuss issues or programs and simply being ignored. For many people, they come to Clarkson all excited and a few years later they are deflated and wishing there were other options out there. If you get sucked in to buying a house here, or your spouse works in the area, you might feel trapped if you can't move, as there are few other employers in the area. It feels like fresh leadership might bring a fresh mindset and we get our hopes up when someone new in top leadership joins the team, only to be disappointed.

Advice to Management

Hire someone to really manage and innovate internally if the current President is focused externally. I thought this would be the Provost's job, but as nice as he is, he doesn't scream "innovation." We teach our students about what an innovative organization looks like, but we are archaic and don't use any of the best practices or innovations in processes and services that we teach our students about. I think mid-managers may be out-of-touch with those they manage and as a result, morale isn't ideal in some departments. I think we need to focus on creating a more inviting and inclusive climate where people feel valued.

10. "Gained many connections and great experience"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Potsdam, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Potsdam, NY

I have been working at Clarkson University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gained significant amount of experience working on projects with different professors
    There are many networking possibilities at Clarkson

Cons

The location is not the best