Clarkston Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Clarkston Consulting CEO Tom Finegan
Tom Finegan

Pros
  • I love working within the consumer products and life science industries (in 9 reviews)

• Business focus is limited to life sciences and consumer products which gives a consultant the ability to focus in these areas (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenging (in 8 reviews)

• Small firm with specific specialties so be sure you are up on that from their web site if applying (in 5 reviews)

1. "New Hire Orientation"

Current Employee - Principal, Business Intelligence & Analytics in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Clarkston Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great review of the firm's guiding principles as well as providing an opportunity to build a professional network within the firm.

Cons

Be ready to tackle Evening Assignments and off-hours work. This is not a "fluff" week :-)

Advice to Management

Keep up the outstanding work!

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Clarkston Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

everything is good , no cons

Cons

no cons to speak of

Advice to Management

they are all knowing and perfect

3. "Clarkston is a great place to start your career."

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Clarkston Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone at Clarkston is very smart and capable. They are very interested in furthering a stewards development so that they are successful in whatever path they take.

Cons

The usual consultant work life balance issues. It is a small firm that is growing so there are definitely some growing pains.

"A Different Kind of Consulting Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Clarkston Consulting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The culture is top notch. Clarkston hires people it thinks will fit in with it's mission - providing brilliant client service to it's core clients - that also want to participate in a rewarding environment and help to make it rewarding for others as well. As with other consulting companies, there are various roles available to pursue. It's a great place to be.

Cons

The near 100% travel can sometimes get to be stressful, but Clarkston does a good job of trying to alleviate the pressure through benefits and flexible roles.

6. "Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - Consultant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Miami, FL

I have been working at Clarkston Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clarkston has the best corporate culture of any company I have seen. I have never had to deal with politics or bureaucracy, but am able to talk freely and openly with Partners and the CEO, all of whom are as invested in my personal growth as I am. I have worked on small project teams since joining, but every Clarkston employee that I have worked with has become a close friend, making stressful periods of a project much easier to deal with. Without a doubt, the people are what make it difficult to think about ever leaving Clarkston.

Because of the positive culture, growth opportunities are seemingly endless. Management is always willing to let people step up and take ownership, and because consulting work is project based, roles quickly change and you are able to step into more strategic roles.

Cons

The consultant lifestyle can be pretty brutal. Travel is generally weekly with a Monday - Thursday schedule, and the hours during the week can be pretty long. The downside of having a growth culture is that you still have to work hard to grow, so most people very long hours and there can tend to not be a healthy work/life balance. I would love for there to be more vacation and bench time provided to counteract the busy project lifestyle.

Advice to Management

Work hard to maintain the fantastic culture - it is what sets Clarkston apart.

7. "Best Decision I've Made"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Pros

Joining Clarkston has been one of the best and most fulfilling decisions I've made. Working at Clarkston is fun, fast-paced and rewarding. I'm challenged on a daily basis, but surrounded by a network of the highest caliber colleagues that help me attack any problem that arises. With a flat organizational structure, we focus our efforts on brilliantly serving our clients, not engaging in internal red-tape. We are constantly evolving our skills to meet our clients' needs - growth mindset is built into our inner fabric. I've grown leaps and bounds during my time at Clarkston, never having had the same day twice. The work we do for our clients is measurable and impactful. It's no wonder we've maintained a 15-year average client satisfaction rating of 95%. We have a family-oriented culture and truly care about each other. Clarkston is a fantastic place to work, learn and be rewarded for your contributions. I've made long-lasting friendships with many of my colleagues, many of whom I care about as much as I do my family. So if you're looking for a fulfilling, action-packed career working with the best and brightest, Clarkston is the place for you!

Cons

I didn't join the team sooner!!

Advice to Management

It's an honor to work alongside this talented group of individuals.

8. "Senior"

Current Employee - SAP Senior Functional Analyst/Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - SAP Senior Functional Analyst/Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

Clarkston has been my home for almost five years now - and the elements that stand out about the firm are still the same as the reasons I joined. The firm's focus on professional development, nurturing its stewards and allowing opportunities for individuals to grow at Clarkston are resounding pros for the firm.

Cons

Due to the travel-based nature of the firm, it is more difficult to preserve a semblance of an office outside of Clarkston target areas - Atlanta, RDU, Jersey. For those staffed outside of those areas, company meetings (twice a year) tend to be the recurring opportunity to interact with coworkers not immediately staffed on your project.

Advice to Management

Let's bring back recurring Boston office meet-ups!

9. "Consultant"

Current Employee - SAP BPC Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - SAP BPC Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Clarkston Consulting full-time

Pros

Great Culture and Support for your development. Constant feedback on progress to make you a better consultant. Many tools available to advanced your career.
    The interview process including one technical screen on phone, one on one interviews in person, and white-boarding session. The offers was made quickly.Very personal touch during the recruiting and on boarding process.

Cons

Nothing worth mentioning at this time.

10. "Great culture"

Current Employee - SAP Senior Functional Analyst/Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - SAP Senior Functional Analyst/Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Clarkston Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In depth interview process including one technical screen on phone, and 3 one on one interviews in person. The offers are made pretty quickly if there are project roles available in the pipeline.
    Smaller sized firm, meaning there is more of a personal touch during the recruiting and onboarding process. Projects are also decent sized and executed well.
    Pretty straightforward operating model, with no offshore component. Projects are staffed with experienced resources at all levels.
    Internals tools (timesheet, expenses etc) take some time getting used to. Not a major issue.

Cons

Nothing that is worth mentioning

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and support stewards in tough times when they come around

"If you like jumping out of planes without a parachute this is the company for you."

Former Employee - Clarkston in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Clarkston in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Clarkston Consulting full-time

Pros

Challenging projects and generally nice people. Somewhat diverse range of companies.

Cons

College hires not held accountable for their work. More skilled staff required to bear the brunt with little to no reward. Frequently asked to take on work in new areas but do not provide adequate training or support. Kiss your personal life goodbye. Don't fall for the grass is browner speech.

Advice to Management

Don't take work for the sake of income. Accept projects your staff are competent to complete and succeed. Ensure partners are truly experts in their disciplines.