Cover image for Classical Charter Schools

27% Recommend to a Friend
30% Approve of CEO

Found 117 of over 121 reviews

2.7
Classical Charter Schools Executive Director Lester Long (no image)
Lester Long

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,950

984 Comments

Teachers

216.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Classical Charter Schools~696578
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Classical Charter Schools? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Classical Charter Schools employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Love my teammates

Aug 30, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really like the people I work with. Much stronger school culture than the other school I worked at.

Cons

Long days and a long commute

2. 2.0

Review

Jan 22, 2023 - Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay Great for learning and work experience

Cons

No work life balance Throw you into any position without consideration

3. Join the Classical Charter Schools team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

If you really don’t want more student loans then okay

Jan 14, 2023 - Classroom Teacher in Bronx, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Masters program Students are a treasure You impact the youth of tomorrow You genuinely grow as an educator and gain experience Some genuine relationships are made with coworkers.

Cons

Long hours. I’m talking 10 hour days… and still having things to do at home. No real support from the school director. It’s a hierarchy… you can’t speak to him without permission from your GTL. Kids don’t get to be kids… it’s more of a prison system.

Continue reading
  5. 4.0

Academic Focus

Dec 27, 2022 - Instructional Coach in Bronx, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

High structure, hierarchical, opportunities for passion projects

Cons

Very long hours, high turn over

Talent Manager

Thank you for providing your feedback. Classical Charter Schools have won the National Blue-Ribbon award 4 times thanks to the high level of structure especially around management and curriculum. We also value providing our scholars with a well-rounded education. One way we encourage this is by providing clubs for our 3-8 scholars. Different clubs are led by teachers that are passionate about specific topics and activities. This is a great way for teachers to share passion projects with their scholars outside the typical classroom. Classical has long hours to accommodate working families who benefit from our later dismissal. We incorporate many staff events including happy hours, lunches, artistic activities, sporting events, and more to spread joy for the hard-working staff. Since the pandemic, teacher turnover has been high across the country and at Classical. We have made significant progress since 2020, however we consistently are looking to grow by collecting feedback from our staff to improve retention. Currently 82% of our staff feel encouraged in their development, and we are looking to grow that number. At Classical Charter Schools, we are trying our best to address concerns by promoting a staff survey with changes and ideas for growth. Directors and leaders also ask for feedback from staff as well as holding office hours to help address any concerns. We are actively trying to retain our staff and any actionable feedback is welcome. Thanks again for leaving a review and for continuing to make an impact on our scholars!

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Salary is great for NYC

Dec 26, 2022 - Dean of Students in Bronx, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong academics, character education is taught to students

Cons

Lack of diversity and career opportunities

Talent Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are refreshed to hear that you enjoy the strong academics and curriculum we offer here at Classical Charter Schools. The world places a huge emphasis on academics, but character is important too. We want to help cultivate well rounded citizens of impeccable character. Therefore, we find is equally as important to teach character education and have a charter education curriculum as well. Regarding your reference to lack of diversity not only do we pride ourselves on our scholar diversity, but our staff diversity as well. In terms of our scholars the minority enrollment is 98%, which is higher than the New York State average of 59%. Additionally, our staff is diverse with a split of 49% people of color and 51% of white staff members. We’re continuously working to develop a diverse cohort of educators that reflect our scholars and can serve as role models. We also encourage lateral moves and have had teachers move into other opportunities including project management and HR.

7. 1.0

Unfair Treatment/ No work life balance

Jan 24, 2023 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company hosts great social events.

Cons

The most inconsistent place you will ever work. People quit almost weekly. Your starting position can be changed or turned over to someone with less experience that will quit almost immediately. No one follows protocol and people do what ever they feel fit. This company is not a place to be creative and fun, but it is stressful and does not allow me to live my personal life comfortably. The kids are a joy to work with, but management makes it unbearable to stay. Very long hours, no real breaks, not fed.

8. 1.0

Horrible Work and School Environment

Jan 15, 2023 - Special Education Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Incoming pay and yearly increases are higher than usual (don’t let this sucker you in)

Cons

Children are retained at an alarming rate (especially children with disabilities and IEPs), toxic, micro-managing, no focus on joy or mental health, refusal to follow government regulations about social policies and laws, discrimination against black and brown students and staff

9. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Glassdoor forced my hand.

Dec 9, 2022 - Long-term Substitute Teacher in Bronx, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

High beginning salary for this role.

Cons

Lack of coaching and support for this role from management.

Continue reading

Talent Manager

Thank you for your review! As you noted in your pros list, we do pride ourselves on offering a competitive salary to our staff. We want our salaries to reflect the hard work and determination educators exhibit daily. At Classical we place great importance upon professional development. We are sorry to hear you felt there was a lack of coaching and support. During your time at Classical, if you ever needed more support or coaching, I would advise you to reach out to your instructional coach, grade team leader, or school director. We strive to offer various professional development opportunities to our staff. Each staff member receives a week and a half of professional development at the beginning of each school year. Classical offers professional and differentiated development for all its educators throughout the year. Additionally, every teacher has an instructional coach to provide feedback both in document form as well as 1:1 debriefs. We find that teacher development is essential to serve our scholars.

10. 1.0

Do not work here

Nov 29, 2022 - Elementary Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

The kids are smart, hardworking, and fun. The pay is higher than the average teacher salary because that's the only way they can convince people to work for them.

Cons

This school does not care about its students or its staff. Classical does not view children as people, they view them as test scores that they can use to get more funding. Students who have disabilities or who struggle in school are held back at alarming rates and the school does not have adequate interventions or special education resources to address their needs.

3 people found this review helpful

Talent Manager

Thank you for your feedback! As you noted in your review, our scholars are the highlight of our school, and the reason why our staff are committed to the work of Classical. We pride ourselves on offering a competitive salary to our staff. We want our salaries to reflect the hard work and determination our educators exhibit daily. Through the joint determination from our staff and scholars, Classical has the highest state test scores in New York City and the winner of 4 National Blue-Ribbon awards which honor both public and private schools who exhibit academic excellence and/or closing the achievement gaps amongst students. While our rigorous curriculum does have an important role in our school structure, the heart of the school are our scholars. We inform our Classical families of our rigorous fast-paced curriculum during orientation and the services we provide. We also have a team of educators ready to help our scholars who need additional support such as intervention and small group. Classical’s scholar services team also works with families to help develop a plan that works best for our scholars. Even if that means their best interests are with another school. We want all our scholars to succeed, whether it’s with us or elsewhere. Approximately 68% and 78% of Classical’s scholars with disabilities passed the ELA and Math state exams, respectively. Additionally, regarding English Language Learner population, 85% passed the ELA test and 91% passed the Math state test. While it’s unfortunate that your experience wasn’t ideal, we thank you for your collaboration with Classical!

11. 2.0

Tough!

Nov 7, 2022 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Positive work environment Friendly people

Cons

Bad/ poor work life balance

Talent Manager

Thank you for your feedback! As you noted we are committed to creating a friendly, dynamic working environment for our staff members. We do this by creating staff events such as happy hours and formal functions to commemorate their hard work and devotion to our scholars. We are sorry to hear you struggled to maintain a good work life balance. Classical offers professional and differentiated development for all its educators. We have some sessions specifically for time and task management to help our staff maintain their professional responsibilities and their personal lives. Our scripted plans also alleviate teachers of having to create their own during after school hours. While it’s unfortunate that your experience with us wasn’t ideal, we want to thank you for your contribution to Classical!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 117 Reviews
</>Embed

Classical Charter Schools Reviews FAQs

Classical Charter Schools has an overall rating of 2.7 out of 5, based on over 121 reviews left anonymously by employees. 27% of employees would recommend working at Classical Charter Schools to a friend and 38% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 13% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Classical Charter Schools employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Classical Charter Schools. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

27% of Classical Charter Schools employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Classical Charter Schools 1.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 1.9 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Classical Charter Schools to be benefits, coworkers, career development and the cons to be senior leadership, management, culture.

Popular Careers with Classical Charter Schools Job Seekers