Classy Llama Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.9
Kurt Theobald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awesome Work Environment and Compensated Well"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Classy Llama full-time

Pros

The company is very empowering and does a good job of taking care of their employees. They throw parties for employees and family about once every two months, good base salary, adequate time off, an ability to work from home when needed, flexible hours, and a great benefits package. Did I mention you also get unlimited sick and personal days? The culture here is very relational and collaborative. If you are looking for a place to grow and be challenged for the better, you couldn't ask for a better place.

Cons

Honestly, it's a great place to work. If you are not looking to grow in your abilities or work in a collaborative environment this may not be the best place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

2. "Account Manager"

I worked at Classy Llama full-time

Pros

The culture is the bread and butter of the company. The people whom you work with at this company provide the invaluable experience that is Classy Llama.

Cons

A company that grew extremely fast, they are constantly making changes to structure their of business which can at times leave areas of gray that go unchecked

"Junior Software Engineer for 3 months and counting"

Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Classy Llama full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Developing with mac's is a charm and makes the day to day development experience smoother than any other environment could offer. The office locations are cosy both inside and out. You can go sit out on the porch and work if you like or sit at a picnic table to eat your lunch. It's not the usual grey 3 walls that isolate you from your coworkers. There is banter and friendly interactions between coworkers that go beyond what's necessary to complete our tasks. We have monthly gatherings outside of work like going to a baseball game, a community pool, or put-put golfing. The bonuses are generous. Classy Llama has offered free health care insurance for quite awhile and recently they added free disability insurance, and life insurance. The actions of upper management (if it's even divided enough to call it upper) consistently show to their employees their willingness and desire to take into consideration the opinions of even the least essential employees such as myself.

Cons

As a new employee it's difficult not to feel like an outsider. Not to the company but to the relationships that have formed over the years among the companies eldest employees. There are at least 10 employees that have a familial relationship to another employee.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"CLS Through the Eyes of A Project Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ

I have been working at Classy Llama full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Llama Management genuinely cares about its employees and their well-being. They take work-life balance vey seriously. They are quick to recognize employee successes and gracious when there are employee short-comings. There is a strong team environment and everyone works together exceptionally well. They have managed to create a truly unique culture.

Cons

I really haven't experienced any cons yet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Blessed to work with this amazing team"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Classy Llama full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a teenager, I had a bunch of clock-in/clock-out jobs that made me feel like a tool, and I wasn't digging that. So when I jumped into starting my own businesses, I wanted the whole team to operate from a core set of values that we all genuinely embraced. I wanted to work with people that naturally lived the core set of values, or at least genuinely aspired to live them, so that they could be free to be fully themselves at work, and so we wouldn't have to constantly be trying to "encourage" people to live by the values of our team. If it comes naturally, there's no need for motivation. When I first started, I wasn't sure if it would work, and there were plenty who said it wouldn't, but alas, we're now about to cross the 50-employee mark, and I can confidently say that it is working.

The team focuses on service to each other as we, together, serve our clients. There's no politicking, posturing, positioning, placating, pandering, or any of those other 'P' words!

We operate simply, pivoting from love, humility, and grace. We're just human, so plenty of imperfection to go around, but we bear with each other in our weaknesses, offering our individual strengths to weave together and render the weaknesses near-obsolete.

It's just like a sports team. At the end of the day, we are most concerned with whether we played well as a team, and exemplified our core values in our play. If we do those two things, the results take care of themselves.

Other Pros:

- Cost of living in Springfield is super low, and it's a very morally conservative, family-friendly city in which to raise a family.
    - Team members aren't required to work overtime. It's opt-in only (though we do expect team members to generally be willing to go the extra mile when called upon; we see it as an ebb and flow; sometimes the family needs more time/attention. Sometimes the team does.). And if developers work overtime, they get paid standard OT for it, which is unheard of.
    - Team members work 45 hours per week or less on average.
    - The company has been continually profitable since it started and has no public debt, and has only one owner with no VC investments.
    - The company hosts monthly events for the team and their families, including an epic Christmas party as well as a month of special events and treats during the company anniversary month (September).
    - Free, unlimited snack cabinet
    - Macbook Pro that you can take home and use for personal use as well
    - Spouses and children of team member are warmly included and invited. We want to connect to the whole family, not just the team member.
    - You will never be asked to do something unethical, inappropriate, or immoral in the name of making money or providing benefits to the company or the owner.
    - Sales people are not paid commission, which levels the playing field and keeps the whole team working together instead of the "caste system" that often develops where the sales people are glorified and the rest of the team become their stepping stools. Instead, our sales team carries the same value set and heart as the rest of the team. We work together to deliver value to the right clients, not just anyone who a salesperson can get to sign on the dotted line.
    - We never stop growing and innovating. It's part of our DNA. The best is always yet to come.
    - There's more, but I gotta stop somewhere.

Cons

The CEO carries a plunger around from time to time like it's a sledge hammer.

Advice to Management

-While I am in the lead role, my advice to the other management is to stay sharp. Don't get comfortable. The moment we get comfy is the moment what's precious about our team and company will start slipping through our fingers. Hire carefully. Don't feel compelled to grow the team just because the opportunity to get bigger is there. Bigger is not always better. Pivot from our core values in deciding whether it's time to get bigger or not. Can we serve more and bigger clients whilst not compromising our standard of excellence on the fewer and smaller clients we already have? If not, then wait.

-Listen to our team members. Listen to the market. Listen to our clients. Be acutely vigilant. It's so easy to just get into a rhythm while small issues grow into big issues like undetected cancer in the body.

- Embrace change and set expectations for the team that change is a constant. Healthy organizations are always changing. We can improve what we're already doing as well as leverage our experience to offer value in new ways. We cannot become stagnate... but that's what happens when you get comfortable, so refer to #1.

- Replace yourselves. Elevate your team members. Lead from behind. If we do not have a successor mentality, you are not planning for the company to succeed long-term, nor are you providing growth opportunities for others or yourself.

- Don't compete. Complement, collaborate, coordinate.

- Wash the feet of your team. You are their servants, not their masters.

- Go home on time. Love your family. Extend from the strength of your home. Do not use work as your escape. If your family relationships grow fallow, you're cooked.

"Friendly, relaxed dev environment"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Classy Llama full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Classy llama is really a great place to work as a dev.

There are no glass ceilings -- devs of all backgrounds and experience are eligible to advance as soon as they are physically capable of advancing. On the other hand, there is no pressure to move to a position which is technically higher on the org chart but not desirable -- it's up to the dev themselves.

Additionally, personal time is sacred. While overtime is often an option, it is always voluntary. At no time is a dev pressured to work more than the standard number of hours. Furthermore, personal time off is typically easy to obtain for legitimate personal needs.

The development tools provided are second to none, and the office itself is a very pleasant place to work. Having complete flexibility to work on the porch is nice, due to the standard issue dev machine being a top-notch laptop.

Of all the devs I've ever worked with, the Classy Llama team is the most accommodating. It's a real fact that devs (in general) tend to be particularly arrogant and prone to arbitrary bias. This office is not free of that, but is remarkably better than anywhere else I have been.

Cons

The culture is very conservative. If you don't pray three times a day to Ron Paul, bring your thick skin and good sense of humor.

The vacation caps out pretty low. Although there is generous personal/sick time allowed, it doesn't really make up for the lack of significant vacation time which is typical in this industry.

Advice to Management

Please increase the vacation caps to be more in line with the rest of the software engineering industry. :)

"The Place to Grow Build Your Skills"

I have been working at Classy Llama full-time

Pros

When I came to this company I was an experienced developer, but I had only worked in IT / Web departments for private companies. Agency work was a huge change for me. Between the pressure of pleasing paying clients and learning the Magento platform I spent the first couple of months wondering what I had gotten myself into. I hung in there, and 18 months later I was scoping projects and overseeing other developers (and I LOVE working with Magento). My skill set has only grown since then and it's not stopping any time soon. The work here can be intense at times, but it will make you a great developer. The support system is great (we have the world's best director of development), and the environment is very collaborative. The team is proactive in identifying and solving problems or just finding ways to turn good into great. When I first came to the company the culture was a little too unconventional for my tastes. Over the years it has adopted more common practices (undisclosed salaries, vacation time based on years of employment, etc) while still keeping a culture of openness and equality. Just last week I sent an email to the CEO and president (2 different people) offering an alternate view to things that were mentioned in a staff meeting, and within 24 hours they both responded with positive feedback and appreciation that I offered my thoughts. There's no fear of being honest here, even if you're unhappy about something. This is truly a place to contribute, and you'll find ways to do it that you didn't know you're capable of. If you want a great team that will help you develop your potential, Classy Llama is an amazing place to be. If you want to coast on the skills you already have, you're not going to be happy here.

Cons

Since management doesn't settle for the status quo that means they're constantly coming up with new ideas. Sometimes the ideas are big, and they seem drastic (and potentially disastrous). This can be jarring until you get used to it. Some of our best practices have come from this process, so overall I can't really complain.

Advice to Management

This year I've been wishing our bonuses were a little more attainable.

"No one cares like Classy Llama"

I have been working at Classy Llama full-time

Pros

Classy Llama is a workplace unlike any other I have been at. The culture is highly concerned with authenticity/honesty and with acting as true advocates for the best interests of their clients. The leadership cares about their employees, as well as making every effort to improve the organization and to provide opportunities for people to reach their best potential.

Cons

As with many startups, the winds of change have blown through quite often. The leadership frequently has new visions for the company, so it's difficult to know what will be the company's focus from year to year.

Advice to Management

Be sure to thoroughly vet new ideas before implementing them. Another notable shortcoming of the leadership is that people that management are most exposed to get the most widespread credit/acclaim in the organization.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Classy Llama full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No office politics, flexible work hours, great benefits, monthly events, focused on using local talent as much as possible, agile operation, focused on Growing at a measured pace, some of the best eCommerce Developers in America (and likely the world).

I truly enjoy coming to work everyday, unlike some other jobs I never have that feeling on a Monday where I wish it was still Sunday. A part of the office culture is getting to know your co-workers and visit some events; you are likely to find you work with some of the best & honest people around.

Cons

Nothing really jumps out at me as a Con, obviously there are things on every job that could be improved upon. I love the people I work with but I am a good fit for the culture, you have to come in and give them a shot. Not everyone is going to be a good fit.

"Agile Alpacas"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Classy Llama full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The culture at Classy Llama is to really care and invest in each other. Other companies have tried to make a culture that lifts up their employees but Classy Llama really does it. I think by hiring for a cultural fit first they don't have to put programs in place to motivate employees to do their best to care about merchants, customers, and each other.

2. They demand excellence. As an extension of the support I have received at Classy Llama I have also received feedback that is sometimes hard to hear but is always for my benefit. I know my coworkers have my back but I also know they expect me to deliver to a high standard.

3. Monthly events where the whole family is invited. Every month there is something new to experience together with your family and the families of all your coworkers (unless you opt out) it could be a pool party, a ball game, a tour of a local farm, or even a night at sky zone. Who knows? You do, an invite is send via email for you to RSVP to about a month ahead of time.

4. The process: Llamas are agile. Well, my coworkers are anyway, I actually don't know much about alpacas. There is a process for determining the demands on your schedule as a developer and there is a process for handling clients demands too. The process hasn't gotten in the way for me and it's made order out of the chaotic world of agency work.

5. Commitment to Magento: By remaining committed to Magento it allows the depth of your knowledge to grow so you can get better and better at your job over time. Some agency work is not as focused and therefore difficult to get into the really interesting parts of a bit of technology. For me as an engineer the fun is in getting better and faster at development, more accurate and more informed in my opinions, and braver and more innovative in my leverage of technology. By sticking with Magento Classy Llama provides me with the opportunity to do this.

6. The monthly meeting includes a kudos segment where employees are encouraged to praise one another for something relevant to the past month at Classy Llama.

Cons

1. Magento can be a sticky wicket to work with. There are a lot of ways to do the same thing, there are few ways to find out what is wrong if something isn't set up correctly. There are lots and lots of configuration files that are difficult to debug.

2. It's a very open and inviting atmosphere but it probably isn't for everyone. I think it's a great fit for me and anyone I would look forward to working with but if you have trouble with communication or have an attitude contrary to the overall classy llama culture then this is not the place for you.

3. The pay and benefits are competitive overall. There is no 401K and no life insurance but medical insurance for my family is paid for by the company so that equals out.

Advice to Management

I believe the Classy Llama culture is largely responsible for our success. I'm excited about the growth we've been seeing and so far we've kept the culture in tact. Great Job! Keep culture central in your hiring, in planning, in sales, and in all aspects; as you have been doing.