Classy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company culture here is unlike anything I (in 17 reviews)

• Classy has the best people and an excellent work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • 401k matching not yet available (in 16 reviews)

• Typical growing pains, but leadership does a great job of addressing things quickly (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"#1 Tech Company in San Diego, for sure!"

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at large, well-known tech companies, and came to Classy in search of a smaller, mission-driven company that doesn't make me feel like a cog-in-the-wheel or "just a number", and after starting at Classy 2 years ago, I can honestly say I've never looked back.

Some notable pros:

-Our mission: who doesn't want to work for a company whose product helps nonprofits?! The people who work here truly believe in our product and it's ability to help nonprofits further their mission.
    -Our clients: the organizations we work with are incredible, to say the least. We get to work with and serve passionate people who dedicate their lives to bettering the world, and we get the privilege of hearing their stories all day long. We even have clients come in to do presentations so we can learn about/see their impact firsthand.
    -The employees: The recruiting team/hiring managers do a great job of sifting out people who just want to work for a "cool tech company". The people are high-energy, passionate, excited, and hardworking, and truly care about our cause. Monday mornings aren't bad here, seriously.
    -Feeling valued: Bottom line - if you perform, you'll get recognized and leadership WANTS to promote you. It actually bugs me to see the reviews that say there's no room for promotion, as this is just simply untrue! There is a ton of movement within the company for people who make a name for themselves through their work, and I'm confident that even more opportunites for growth will present themselves are we expand further. Don't let reviews from un-motivated, apathetic ex-employees sway you from this fact.
    -Environent: Let's be real, what's better than having a casual, open working environment?! We can bring pets into work, can wear whatever we please, and aren't stuck in stuffy cubicles.
    -Downtown location: Right next to Petco Park! Beautiful views of Coronado, parking is paid for, we have a gym in the building..can't get better

Cons

-No 401k match/would love more company $$ devoted to employee health insurance but understandable given where we are at as a company.
    -Silicon Valley style catered lunches would be nice..(see how spoiled we are that this is a con?!)

Advice to Management

Continue to give opportunities to hardworking current employees - you will keep people forever!

"Keeps getting better!"

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fast-paced
    - Ton of opportunity for growth
    - Amazing culture
    - Transparency from leadership
    - Purpose driven culture where everyone walks the walk
    - Working with non-profits is super fulfilling. You actually can see and feel the impact of your work
    - Hire top talent so you are in great company
    - Have been making a point to bring on experienced leadership
    - Continue to evolve and are never happy with "this is just how things are."

Cons

- No real cons, but this is a company where you get what you put in, so if you aren't willing to stretch yourself and truly commit to learning, growing, and improving, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

- Keep on keepin' on! I love that you listen, take feedback, and truly make changes based off what employees are saying. I love being a part of the team!

Nov 2, 2017 – Director - People Operations

We love having YOU as part of the team! Thanks for being a part of the Classy family. :)

"Love it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super dynamic and enthusiastic place to work. Location is phenomenal. Colleagues are passionate, dedicated, and hold each other accountable.

Cons

Definitely still has a start-up feel of iterating to improve - certainly not a con, but you should be adaptable to work here and welcome change and new challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to clients and employees to inform changes.

"A Company That Cares About You, seriously."

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* The people - some of the smartest, hard-working and passionate people you will ever meet. Leadership truly cares about the people here, it's a team environment through and through;
    * Inclusive culture - being inclusive of others starts & ends with the attitude of the people we bring on board (which is excellent), but is aided by the values that the founders created;
    * The "work" - most of the time it doesn't feel like work, it feels like you are trying to accomplish a mission together to help nonprofits grow and make the world a better place;
    * Authentic & transparent - at every level of the organization there is a genuine sense of authenticity and transparency. yes with information (CEO sends quarterly report to all employees with anything you'd ever want to know), but more a willingness to admit that we aren't perfect and we all learn and grow together as we tackle challenges;

Cons

Since I've been at Classy, each year seems like the year with the most change and this year is no different... so people who don't deal with change very well should be cautious to apply. I've learned to embrace change though, it's not change just to have change, it's strategic change to help make the business and our customers more successful in the future.

Advice to Management

Keep your eye on the long-term, the moves we've made this year to optimize the business and become even more customer centric were the right ones.

"1 year in - best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Classy for over a year now and I'm still energized and excited to be a part of this team. The best thing about working here is the culture - peers are friendly, senior leadership is accessible, and there are a lot of promotions from within. There has been no turnover in leadership the entire time I have been here which is almost unbelievable for a 225+ person company.

Cons

We grew really fast so some changes were trial and error. We switched around the sales teams which was an adjustment but it seems to have ultimately worked out well. No 401K matching.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I especially love that VPs and even the CEO take the time to meet one on one with individual contributors.

Nov 2, 2017 – Director - People Operations

Looking forward to having you as part of the team for many more years!

6. "Be Classy"

I have been working at Classy full-time

Pros

Working at Classy is about having a passion for our mission, working with positive highly talented people, and engagement - with our customers and each other. The energy in the work environment is unlike any that I have ever experienced. I definitely look forward to coming to work each day!

Cons

Since we are growing at a fast rate, the dynamic workplace may not be for everyone.

"Account Manager"

I have been working at Classy full-time

Pros

-Classy as a company has incredible core values, and the people working here truly are a family! I have never felt like I got to work with a bunch of like-minded people before and it's been an incredible experience here.

-My managers make me feel like I am a valued team member and that they have my their employees' best interest in mind.

-Furthermore, I feel that the managers on my team also put the customer at the center of what they do. It's great to truly believe that your managers want to provide more value to clients.

-There are plenty of opportunities for internal growth and professional development. If you know what you want and you constantly work towards it - you can go far here.

Cons

-It's an extremely fast work environment. If you're not ready to put in extra effort (sometimes extra hours) then this won't be a good fit.

-There are times where you will be spending more time doing reactive work than proactive outreach. Overall, the team is looking to improve this but sometimes that is simply how things pan out. Be ready to be flexible and trust in your management when times are tough.

-The only constant here is change. I personally love this about my job - but if you can't learn, grow, and adapt quickly then this is not a great fit.

Oct 5, 2017 – Team Lead, People Operations

Thanks for your hard work, extra hours, and positive attitude. We appreciate you as a family member and look forward to seeing you grow and shine at Classy!

"Welcome Home!"

I have been working at Classy full-time

Pros

I've been with Classy for 2 years and can honestly say that I wake up every day happy to go to work (which is a feeling I haven't had in my previous jobs). The team here is awesome and the culture is hard to beat. The company is super fun, but we are also all working towards a common goal. There is tons of growth opportunity here if you have a positive attitude and work hard. It is also really exciting to be part of a company that has come a really long way, is growing quickly and evolving constantly.

Cons

No 401K
    Salaries are a bit low given the cost of living in San Diego

Advice to Management

Our culture is what makes us special! Make sure not to lose it as we grow!

"Rare Opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Classy provides a rare mix of truly meaningful work with a great opportunity in an underserved market. The value we are delivering helps amazing organizations solve the world's most difficult and important challenges. This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

The culture of the company is what sets Classy apart. Part of that is driven by the market we serve, but it is hard to find a company where the employees genuinely like each other and choose to spend time outside of work with their teammates.

The office is amazing and overlooks Petco Park, Coronado Island, and the Pacific Ocean. Hard to find a better space anywhere!

Cons

Classy is a dynamic ever changing environment where experimentation and risk taking is encouraged. This environment is not for everybody and can be very difficult if consistency and stability are your main drivers.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the employees and the amazing culture you have built. It's not easy as we grow into a large successful software company, but fight to keep it alive. It's what separates Classy from the pack!

"Classy is More Than a Company"

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at Classy for more than 3 years, and I hope I never have to work anywhere else in my life.

When I first heard of Classy, I had no idea there existed an intersection of for-profit and non-profit, it sounded too good to be true, but it hasn't been. After starting as an intern and working my through up several different positions, the journey has been more challenging, rewarding, frustrating, exciting etc etc than I could have imagined and I wouldn't trade it for anything, here's what I love about Classy:

- The people that work here are talented, smart, dedicated and passionate. They could choose to work anywhere, but they work here.

- Classy has a balance of being driven to accomplish a goal of bettering the world, while still competing as business in a marketplace that has only multiplied exponentially in the last couple of years.

- The transparency available to those who want it is always there.

- I've felt complacent at times in my career (who hasn't), but when those times come up leadership is quick to understand and react, how cool is that?

- I've seen Classy go through several different offices, I've loved every single one, if our next office was a shack, the Classy team would find a way to make it exciting and energetic.

- The culture is the same today as it was on my first day, and that includes adding over 150 employees. The team is incredibly tight, we work hard to uplift one another and ALWAYS want each other succeed.

And finally: We get caught up in the day to day of our work, but every so often when I meet someone new and I get to them that my job literally revolves around helping nonprofit organizations fund and complete critical, sometimes life saving missions, that never gets old for me.

Cons

Changes are a constant in every business and it is no exception at Classy. In the past 18 months more has changed than I can remember in the 3 years before combined. While this is certainly normal in start-up life, it takes patience and understanding.

As someone who's moved laterally and up myself, it's not always clear what paths are available for growth as they don't always present themselves in ways that seem achievable. You have to be really proactive and patient, knowing it will eventually pay off.

Advice to Management

- Be proactive in setting up employees for career growth, both in and out of Classy.

- Not everything is about numbers, celebrate past accomplishments as much as current ones

- Invest more in training and development

- Continue having fun and never lose sight of the end goal- mobilizing the world to do amazing things.

Oct 5, 2017 – Team Lead, People Operations

Wow, thank you for the transparency in your review, and for your dedication and loyalty to Classy for several years. It's fantastic to hear that team members see a personal and professional payoff in... More