Classy Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Classy Co-Founder & CEO Scot Chisholm
Scot Chisholm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company culture and management support is really what I love about my job" (in 19 reviews)

• "Classy has the best people and an excellent work/life balance" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "With any growing company there are growing pains" (in 18 reviews)

• "401k matching not yet available" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast Paced, Meaningful, Opportunity"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The top two reasons I come to work are the people and the opportunity. The mission we are on as a company is extremely meaningful. The work is not always easy but it's easy to find both professional and personal motivation to grow through the changes here. The market is wide open, the product top of the line and Classy will always find a way to recognize/support hard work.

Cons

If you are not good with change, this is not the place for you. The only constant is change and from what I've seen its a good thing. Leadership takes feedback very seriously and is always looking to improve. It is very much a fast-paced startup environment. To thrive at Classy you need to be proactive and committed to always develop your skill set.

Advice to Management

Continue growing the training program as I've seen a lot of positive results from that department. Keep listening to the sales reps on the floor to learn more about what they are doing right. Continue celebrating wins and giving individualized praise and encouragement. As long as career path opportunities keep presenting themselves, I'll remain confident in being part of the incredible Classy family!

"Love this company"

I have been working at Classy full-time

Pros

Classy is a really special place to work. The mission permeates in a real way through the culture, they support true balance for employees, and there is so much growth and opportunity for people who want to drive a lot of change.

Cons

It's not a good place if you need a lot of predictability - it's a high growth company, which demands a lot of flexibility and adaptability to thrive. If you like that environment, it's great.

"Best Company in San Diego"

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While I realize this may depend on your team, I sincerely love my job, the people, and the opportunities at Classy.

You’ll work with some of the smartest people here and with people who genuinely wants the company to do well. People are invested in the company mission to do good in the world and aren’t just zombies at work, which is refreshing! Tons of opportunity in this industry.

You’ll get exposed to so many things and new challenges working here as the company continues to climb, you’ll learn a ton, and work with deeply passionate, interesting, and realest people.

Other perks - unlimited PTO, flexibility, nice office environment, and the company is working on being more diverse

Cons

You have to be type of person that is okay with growing pains and constant changes (literally, by the hour). It also seems decisions are made top down always when sometimes you need employees helping make decisions, too.

Advice to Management

Do what’s best for Classy vs just following the cool kids in Silicon Valley. Continue to bring in smart and diverse individuals. More out of the box thinking, more people thinking strategically if this company wants to succeed vs making whim decisions. I think we’re heading there, but...?

"Nothing but love for this company!"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people you work with make transitioning from an out of towner very easy. There is always somebody that wants to do something after work or some internal club to join. I even heard there are a bunch of people that get Thai Food every Friday
    -The best office setting there ever was
    -You will learn more in this role than you ever thought was possible

Cons

-It's sales. You have to perform or your are gone. This is nothing new in a sales organization so if this is an issue I'd apply to a different position.
    -When they say it's a constantly changing environment don't take this lightly. Things don't just change monthly but weekly, daily, sometimes hourly. This is harder to handle than you think. Quotas change and go up once they are hit. You get all the praise on the last day of the month and it's forgotten on the 1st.
    -San Diego is very expensive to live. The pay is fair but unless you hit quota every month it is hard to get by in the best city in America.

Advice to Management

I love you guys. Just because this wasn't the right fit for me does not mean that it was Classy's fault. Your culture is what made this company desirable. Do whatever you can to bring it back/keep what is left.

"Don’t be fooled by the views!"

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product and Great training techniques

Cons

Please don’t be fooled by the tour around the office, the views and open office setup will convince you this is a great place to work when it’s the complete opposite. A tech company that has been around 10+ years will market themselves as a start up and “were always changing” as a way to convince you that the changes they make weekly is normal in the tech world...it is not. Theres a big reason the turnover in the company in 2018 has been by far the largest they’ve seen in their 10+years. The culture has been sucked out of the building and they care more about ways that they can come up with to not pay salespeople by raising quota,new aggressive metrics, and switching salespeople to hourly.Forcing employees to ask for approved overtime...even though it’s needed to hit the new quotas and metrics put in place. At the end of the day you should stay away Classy has tarnished it’s great representation and you shouldn’t waste your career with this company.

"Empathetic Culture. Great management."

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All the developers are approachable. There's an understanding that no engineer knows everything, and that you can learn something from everyone. The culture of empathy and emphasis on learning here is great.

Work life balance is great. Just get your work done and be reliable.

Management = no complaints. Direct manager is actively invested in helping you grow as an engineer, and routinely seeks out opportunities for you. Support in getting on high visibility projects. Also understands that every developer has diff strengths/weaknesses and works with them. Managers tend to be great developers that also have the people skills to actually manage their direct reports. You can be rather honest with feedback and see management act on that feedback.

Classy hasn't always gotten it right the first time (whether it be about compensation/recognition/promotions etc) but if you go to management with valid reasoning, they actually will listen to you.

Cons

no 401k match. benefits could be better.

7. "Change is the Only Constant"

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission, and some really smart, dedicated people working towards fulfilling that mission. If you excel at office politics, you will probably thrive at Classy.

Cons

The direction the company is headed is hard to nail down, as it is constantly changing. Smart, dedicated people are leaving the company.

Advice to Management

Focus on the company's mission, aligning leadership with employees, and employee retention.

"Run, run away as fast as you can"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative

I worked at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers
    Young and energetic environment
    Office in a cool location
    Good parking

Cons

The micromanagement that occurs here is on another level. Real life examples:

-Haven't made a call in 5 min? Get ready for a ping from your manager, "Why haven't you made a dial in 5 min?"
    -Running 1-3 min late for the first time ever? Get ready for a text from your manager, "We start at 7 am not 7:02."
    -Want to take an actual lunch break after a "lunch meeting?" "We paid for your lunch food so I expect you to come straight back to making dials afterwards."
    -Want to maybe customize an email to a customer and express ONE OUNCE OF CREATIVITY? "What are you doing we have these templates preloaded so you can fire off emails without having to change anything."
    -Think you know your quota for the month? Get ready for it to change again mid month, or you know, even after a couple hours no biggie.
    -Think that working a regular 8 hour week is in the cards for you? Hell no, you have to go home and keep prospecting so you can have people to call tomorrow, God forbid you do anything during work hours that doesn't involve making calls.
    -Think that if you just grind it out for a couple of months and do well it'll get better and you'll get promoted? Ha. Ha ha ha.
    -Worst of all, do you think you will get paid well for all of the pain and suffering you've endured? Ha. Ha ha haaaa.

I could go on and on. The culture here was toxic and demoralizing. People quitting / getting fired left and right. I had previous sales experience before coming into this role and let me tell you, this is not how it should be. You cannot treat your employers like disposable dialing machines. Sorry not sorry this is so savage, I have PTSD from this place it was so ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging! Be realistic about quotas! Allow actual time for prospecting during work hours since ya know, that's considered work?! Allow for more autonomy in the role! A meeting during lunch does NOT count as my lunch hour. Good luck getting this place back to whatever the happy reviewers were writing about before. I definitely didn't experience anything like it.

"Much Potential, Sad Leadership"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible coworkers
    Great culture including views, drinks, etc.

Cons

Lack of direction among leadership. In my short tenure, I had 3 managers in 5 months. In the first 3, quotas were raised twice (once without even notifying new hires). Despite being around for over a decade, the incessant changes were due to "being a startup." However, several of these changes included pricing, leadership, and "optional" trainings that resulted in overworked, stressed, and micromanaged employees who were basically punching a timecard. Management takes a very blanketed approach when it comes to coaching. They assume all reps learn/have the same areas of improvement and don't seriously take the time in learning each reps' strong-suits and working with them to approve areas of weakness. After a decade, one would think a sales team would have more ideas on how to create a successful sales culture and truly cultivate growth on the team. Additionally, promotions don't seem to be based on expertise but rather on if they like you and if you've been around for a while (ie. managing a team and role that the manager has never even done). Growth seems stifled until they can figure out their true position in the market and feel confident in a process that doesn't work. MEDDIC for SMB isn't as applicable as it is to mid market or enterprise, and until the President pays more attention to this segment, I'm fearful management will continue to "lead" with updates rather than insightful coaching. Lastly, there is a culture of fear rather than a culture of growth and this ultimately was the tipping point in moving on as I don't see this approach changing.

Advice to Management

Please, please, please stop micromanaging. Start caring more about metrics that matter (ACV) rather than unobtainable metrics that no individual on the sales floor is consistently hitting week over week. It seems leadership is wanting to improve and feedback is received, but the wrong leaders are in position to make this work.

"Warning - the reviews are all managers"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The majority of the people are great humans. Especially outside of sales leadership. The dogs are great, the office is in a cool location, the view is great.

Cons

They hired a CRO who is literally the Jordan Belfort of San Diego, minus the good business sense. He is super crass, not classy (literally and figuratively), he calls people names and has systematically gotten rid of all the female leaders on his team. The company went from being the coolest humans and an awesome mission to a flaming pile of bro culture and failure. How this guy gets away with anything is beyond me. They ask the employees to write positive reviews to deal with all the negative ones coming in. I overheard that turnover has been over 70%. yep, makes sense. They treat people like garbage, have no idea what they are doing and despite continued failure nothing changes. I have watched so many great people either leave or get forced out. They literally publicly flogged sales people in our meetings. Classy use to be great, the CEO use to be great. Now it is just a bro club.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to wake up and realize he got sold by a guy who has no idea what he is doing. He also needs to salvage his company before it's too late. HR needs to step in and protect its people.