Classy Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Classy Co-Founder & CEO Scot Chisholm
Scot Chisholm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company culture and management support is really what I love about my job" (in 19 reviews)

• "Classy has the best people and an excellent work/life balance" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "401k matching not yet available" (in 18 reviews)

• "With any growing company there are growing pains" (in 18 reviews)

"Fast Paced, Meaningful, Opportunity"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The top two reasons I come to work are the people and the opportunity. The mission we are on as a company is extremely meaningful. The work is not always easy but it's easy to find both professional and personal motivation to grow through the changes here. The market is wide open, the product top of the line and Classy will always find a way to recognize/support hard work.

Cons

If you are not good with change, this is not the place for you. The only constant is change and from what I've seen its a good thing. Leadership takes feedback very seriously and is always looking to improve. It is very much a fast-paced startup environment. To thrive at Classy you need to be proactive and committed to always develop your skill set.

Advice to Management

Continue growing the training program as I've seen a lot of positive results from that department. Keep listening to the sales reps on the floor to learn more about what they are doing right. Continue celebrating wins and giving individualized praise and encouragement. As long as career path opportunities keep presenting themselves, I'll remain confident in being part of the incredible Classy family!

"Classy is stronger than some bad glass door reviews"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compared to other companies that I've worked at, pretty much everything, especially the people and culture. I don't really understand the recent negative reviews and felt compelled to write a positive review to defend things (and no, I wasn't forced to write this!). There are challenges right now, especially in sales, but the people I work with on a daily basis are no where close to these reviews. If you've been at a startup before, you understand that there are waves of growing pains as you go for something greater. Classy is now working with thousands of amazing nonprofit organizations and continues to bring on hundreds every month, so the future looks very promising!

Cons

There are definitely some scaling challenges right now as Classy enters the next phase of growth, especially in sales. Sales has a new leader though that came from Okta and has a ton of experience so things are almost certainly going to get better for the AE and SDR teams. Our focus on enterprise and mid market also made leadership team decide to cut some people on the SDR team that focused on smaller nonprofits.

Advice to Management

Do a better job communicating the new sales changes and where we are headed there so people can stop focusing on glass door and get back to helping our nonprofit clients!

"Fast Times at Classy High: Excellent Adventure or Bogus Journey? Choose Your Own Adventure!"

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- It can be hard to make friends after college, but I made dozens of awesome buds during my time at Classy. For that reason alone, I will never regret working for the company.
    - Classy does strive to help nonprofit organizations of all shapes and sizes raise more money to further their missions, which is like totally excellent.
    - Classy has an amazing office space with a bodacious view of Petco Park, San Diego Bay, and some seriously tasty waves in Coronado.
    - K9 friendly. Woof!
    - Complimentary coffee, booch & cerveza on tap!
    - Paid parking, which is noyce.
    - Loads of paid holidays *air guitar riff*!
    - Plenty of Classy T’s for free.

Cons

- The culture got kinda bogus after the last round of funding (mostly on the sales and engineering teams). Nowadays, Classy is run like a churn and burn SaaS sales machine—and the sales leaders they’ve brought in have made this most abundantly clear to new hires and veterans alike. “It’s like our way or the highway, dudes!”
    - The Classy sales team is led by total fear-monger melvins who mislead the head honchos to protect themselves from getting the boot. It’s a total head-scratcher that Classy has burned through countless AEs and SDRs without dismissing one Sales Manager, Director, or VP.
    - Classy righteously overestimated the addressable market, while grossly underestimating the time it would take to develop products to service that market.
    - Classy leadership seems to be a blend of young, fake-it-till-ya-make-it-dudes and dudettes, hotshot Silicon Valley C-suits, and a CEO who’s way too nice for his own good. Seriously, everyone thinks the CEO is the coolest, but duder needs to lay the hammer down every once in a while.
    - In an attempt to avoid a wipeout, the board of money dudes brought in a bunch of grown-ups (c-levels) to try and smooth things over. I sincerely hope this decision works out because the loyal folks in the trenches really deserve a win

Advice to Management

Stand For Something. Lead By Example. Dream Big, Execute Smart. Create Meaningful Value. Always Be Learning. Adapt and Overcome. Be Excellent To Each Other, and Party On Dudes!

"Beware upon entering"

Former Employee - SDR in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - SDR in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Some really nice coworkers
    -Fun bonding outings every once in awhile
    -Dog friendly office!
    -Half day Fridays
    -PTO is above average
    -Ongoing sales training/coaching

Cons

Horrible awful terrible sales environment. I was so excited for this job and it was such an immense let down. It's like management is so miserable and under so much pressure that they feel the need to impart that on their team as well. It's passed off as two words I've absolutely grown to hate: grit and grind. All the terrible hours, all the micromanagement, all the unreasonable stress and pressure is bundled into a pretty package they call grit and grind to make it seem like this is just part of the gig. News flash: it's not!!! Call me spoiled, but at my former company and my new company I'm making way more money ($20k at least), working way less hours (45ish) and experiencing way less stress (priceless). I'm not asked to keep working over lunch, I'm able to hit my numbers without having to go home every night and keep working, I'm treated like a valued team member, people aren't quitting/getting fired all around me, my manager treats me like an adult and doesn't feel the need to look over my shoulder for every. single. teeny. tiny. move. I will forever have nightmares of this place. Some good memories too of course, but how I wish I had gotten to experience the Classy I first read about last year.

Advice to Management

For the love of all that is good quit micromanaging people! Quit passing off all the crazy pressure and hours as "just part of the job" when it doesn't have to be that way. Why are you investing so much money into reps that only quit/are let go every few weeks?

"Incredible company with so much opportunity!"

I have been working at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership is always open to feedback and have an open door policy (no one in inaccessible)
    The sales process is getting more attention than ever, which will help reps be even more successful.
    There are a lot of perks (dogs, cold brew, kombucha) but the mission and people I work with are by far the best parts of working here.
    The company is at a great size if you are looking to make a big impact on an organization and your career.
    The culture and atmosphere are incredible.

Cons

The sales process is evolving, which can be challenging. Reps have to stay positive and open-minded and trust that leadership is making the right calls.

Advice to Management

More organization of resources and information will help reps be more proactive

"Fun Office - Grinding Work"

I worked at Classy full-time

Pros

Great work office, fun people, awesome cause. This company is built to make an impact in the world.

Cons

Micromanagement with everything. Sales quotas change monthly and are often unattainable. Management uses fear of losing job to motivate you to hit numbers.

"Beyond time for the BoD to get involved"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time

Pros

-Incredible product for the SMB space (not so much for MM and ENT)
    -Great office (dog friendly too!)
    -Awesome coworkers

Cons

Classy's Sales Leadership Team is seriously a disaster. The Board of Directors needs to step in and fast! Things just keep getting worse. Dismal customer retention rate, severe micro-management, unreasonable quota, ever-changing quota and lower commission pay out; sales employees can't leave soon enough! They've significantly over-hired, and foolishly continue to hire thinking that will lead to increased sales, however, working off a recycled account list that's been harassed by countless Classy employees before you is NOT going to work. Very low base pay; you have to fight for a raise, and will likely be threatened along the way for bringing up salary. Leadership will seem offended you asked to get paid your worth. No 401K match. Constantly blame things on "being a startup" rather than learning from their mistakes or making sound business decisions (hence the need for the BoD to step in).

Advice to Management

Allow your best salespeople to SELL, not prospect 90% of their day. Your bleeding money (and employees) by over-hiring. Focus on quality not quantity.

"Overpromised & Underdelivered"

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing office, even better people. The office culture was made by events that involved everyone, allowing people to mingle with others that they didn’t see on a day-to-day basis. My closest friends in San Diego are people that I met at Classy. I was miserable working there my last few months, but the people I had the pleasure of seeing everyday kept me going.

Cons

The way sales reps were compensated was joke, promotions were given without salary increases.... Reps had an unreal workload, unrealistic quotas, and enough stress to make you reconsider a career in sales. At one point managements master plan was to raise product pricing, increase quotas, and decrease payouts. Then they have the nerve to cut people who are hitting quota. A sales development rep was once told by their manager that they could be a six figure earner. However, their base salary combined with them tripling their quota every month would still leave them significantly short. Managers only listen in on calls instead of rolling up their sleeves and helping the team. Seriously though, if you’re going to take the time to “listen in” why not help? You win, your rep wins, your team wins, seems pretty simple to me (insert shrug emoji).

Advice to Management

Don’t sell yourself as a championship team and then bring in superstars to scratch and claw to barely make the playoffs. Learn the difference between a lunch meeting and a meeting during lunch. Be inspiring, not intimidating, trying to mask micromanagement as motivation. Most importantly, remember who you used to be when people raved about Classy.

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Classy full-time

Pros

Amazing product and amazing customer base

Cons

Kombucha and Cold Brew run out quickly

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"Don't believe the hype"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative

I worked at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Classy does a lot of things well. They're a startup so things move quickly, change happens often. The sales training I received was phenomenal. Wins and victories are celebrated. The people are pretty great. The CEO is an awesome guy you can tell genuinely cares about the company and believes in its mission. They would bring in some current clients to speak on their story every once in awhile, giving you a break from the grind and reminding you of why non-profit work is so important. For the most part, this company really has it together.

Cons

The sales culture is toxic. The micromanagement that happens from the top down is suffocating. You feel like you can't even go to the bathroom without judgement or side eye for leaving your desk and taking a break from making dials. It was suggested to me multiple times to not take a lunch (even though I'm at my numbers) because I needed to do something work-related that happened to not be making dials. In case you don't get the gist, they only want you there to make dials, there is no strategy or creativity to your selling. Expect to work 50-60 hours a week just to keep your head above water. Don't expect to get paid fairly for it. They talk constantly about this "grit" and "grind," trying to glorify all the (frankly) misery in order to make it seem like this is just the way it is in sales. In reality, having worked for larger companies in the past, you can get paid much better and work a normal 40 hour week without feeling like a completely disposable dialer tool.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging. You hired these people for a reason, so trust them to do their jobs. I wouldn't have had so many grievances about the pay if I wasn't working so many hours in the week. Keep up the great and the ongoing sales training, keep up the transparency and open communication at the executive level, keep bringing in clients to inspire us.

Classy Response

Oct 16, 2018 – President & Chief Revenue Officer

Thank you for the feedback. Classy is at a pivotal time in our history as our growth continues to accelerate and we help even more nonprofits grow their impact.

Through this growth, we’ve made... More