Classy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company culture - I love coming to work every day (in 17 reviews)

• I love working for a company that serves clients that are truly looking to make a difference in the world (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Typical growing pains, but leadership does a great job of addressing things quickly (in 16 reviews)

• The company is growing quickly and with that comes growing pains (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"#1 Tech Company in San Diego, for sure!"

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at large, well-known tech companies, and came to Classy in search of a smaller, mission-driven company that doesn't make me feel like a cog-in-the-wheel or "just a number", and after starting at Classy 2 years ago, I can honestly say I've never looked back.

Some notable pros:

-Our mission: who doesn't want to work for a company whose product helps nonprofits?! The people who work here truly believe in our product and it's ability to help nonprofits further their mission.
    -Our clients: the organizations we work with are incredible, to say the least. We get to work with and serve passionate people who dedicate their lives to bettering the world, and we get the privilege of hearing their stories all day long. We even have clients come in to do presentations so we can learn about/see their impact firsthand.
    -The employees: The recruiting team/hiring managers do a great job of sifting out people who just want to work for a "cool tech company". The people are high-energy, passionate, excited, and hardworking, and truly care about our cause. Monday mornings aren't bad here, seriously.
    -Feeling valued: Bottom line - if you perform, you'll get recognized and leadership WANTS to promote you. It actually bugs me to see the reviews that say there's no room for promotion, as this is just simply untrue! There is a ton of movement within the company for people who make a name for themselves through their work, and I'm confident that even more opportunites for growth will present themselves are we expand further. Don't let reviews from un-motivated, apathetic ex-employees sway you from this fact.
    -Environent: Let's be real, what's better than having a casual, open working environment?! We can bring pets into work, can wear whatever we please, and aren't stuck in stuffy cubicles.
    -Downtown location: Right next to Petco Park! Beautiful views of Coronado, parking is paid for, we have a gym in the building..can't get better

Cons

-No 401k match/would love more company $$ devoted to employee health insurance but understandable given where we are at as a company.
    -Silicon Valley style catered lunches would be nice..(see how spoiled we are that this is a con?!)

Advice to Management

Continue to give opportunities to hardworking current employees - you will keep people forever!

"3 years at Classy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many pros, some of my favorites are -
    Autonomy over my work (how and when I do it and an ability to affect change.)
    Career growth and development; managers who care about employees, and a big focus on employee well being, both in and outside of work.
    Fulfilling work, knowing you're making a difference in a non profit's ability to sustain their programs and create change.
    Beautiful offices in East Village with easy access to everything from the gym to great restaurants. Also free espresso drinks really bring down my monthly Starbucks bill.
    A culture that puts innovation first. We continually try to get better and learn from mistakes.
    Fun, intelligent people!

Cons

There are no real downsides. It would be easy to complain about things you'll read in other reviews, like "there's so much change that it's hard to keep up and management doesn't communicate the changes well enough." But what that really means is well-intentioned people are trying to improve our processes, win more, make a better product, etc instead of keeping the status-quo. And yes, change is hard. It used to be a challenge for me but after 3 years it's become normal - I even welcome it now.

3. "Empower the world for good!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people work here. Awesome place to help organizations grow with top of the line tech! Great new office above Petco.

Cons

Only care about #s, not people. People treat others like stepping stones to move up and back stab. Management limits your growth potential for promotions. Unrealistic goals.

Advice to Management

You need to have the SDRs talk more about Price with harder questions to qualify NPO. Then if they are qualified then have the AE demo them. Shouldnt be this hard to move through the pipeline and close.

"Best tech company in SD"

I have been working at Classy full-time

Pros

The environment is invigorating! It is great to work in an industry that serves the world at large but the group of people at Classy is phenomenal! The company goes above and beyond in developing you personally. From wellness meetings to life coach speakers to toastmasters to career conferences.

Cons

As the company grows in size there's definitely some growing pains. Not all the processes are fully defined. But that's an opportunity for anyone to step up and drive it forward.

Advice to Management

Enable better communication across departments and hold all departments to the overarching companies goals.

Aug 17, 2017 – Sr. People Operations Specialist

Thanks for the props! The People Team values your opinion and would welcome any ideas to better enable cross functional communication. We hope to hear from you soon and are glad to hear you're taking... More

"Love this Classy Family"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture here is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced (in a great way). Everyone is so friendly and truly wants you to succeed. Especially for someone moving to a new city, Classy has been amazing at providing me a tight knit group of friends. It’s so easy to be yourself here and no matter what kind of person you are, there is a group of people here for you. It’s so obvious how much emphasis is placed on employee happiness here - and clearly it is working.

Also, working for a company that partners with thousands of nonprofits across the US gives me a lot of satisfaction knowing that we are providing a tool for awesome organizations to accomplish their missions. I like to think we are in a “best of both worlds” scenario where we partner with nonprofits, but Classy is a for-profit company.

Cons

Lots and lots of changes. This isn’t necessarily a “con”, but if you are someone who prefers that processes stay constant and you dislike having some changes thrown your way, Classy may not be the place for you. But just know that each and every change is done with the best intentions. It might be frustrating at times, but I always try to look at the bigger picture because it’s true, we have some lengthy goals to hit at times but each change is done to give us a better chance at reaching those goals.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work - I love this place. Only thing I would change is, at times, providing more of a “why” to the changes. Every now and then a change will be rolled out, and the rationale won’t be quite clear.

Jul 7, 2017 – Sr. People Operations Specialist

Thanks for writing in. We hear you and are continually looking for ways to increase communication in our ever-changing world. It's fantastic to hear you've found a community and fulfilling work here... More

"Great Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Classy is an amazing company to work for, with a very easy mission to stand behind! The atmosphere is fun, with fun events, guest speakers, amazing office view and great people.

Cons

The sales team is still in big transition with upper management implementing things from the top down without taking a look at how it's going to affect various teams. Lots of talk about career growth and moving into new opportunities, but that is also not the case- a feeling of being stuck in your current role.

"Welcome Home"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To quote one of my colleagues--I'm a lifer as well. This is truly a wonderful place to be, and every day I am so happy and grateful to be here.

You are truly valued here, the support we have is unparalleled! Every attention to detail is thought of when it comes to moving our team, clients, and company forward.

Great company culture--blend of personalities, backgrounds and experiences. Our victories are celebrated, our challenges are addressed, and we find a productive way to push on.

The end goal is for everyone to truly find where they best fit in, and where you will be most successful and happy in your role.

Cons

-More ethnic diversity, it's better than most companies--but something that we should still be working towards growing.

Advice to Management

I really appreciate the constant check in's we have to make sure that we are on pace, and everything is great with us professionally (and personally). I

"Marketing"

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Tons of room for professional growth
    - Growing, fast-paced company committed to succeeding
    - Great leadership and product vision
    - Employees & management truly care about each other

Cons

- Fast-paced....so be willing to jump in and provide meaningful value
    - Growing pains....so be willing to navigate change and know you have the ability to make a difference

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing! Your commitment to learning fast, experimenting and moving forward, and favoring action over inaction....all of these are phenomenal opportunities you give the company every day. Continue to explore ways to increase communication across teams and bring growing teams together over time. Generally speaking though, A+!

"The most exciting and rewarding experience in my career thus far..."

I have been working at Classy full-time

Pros

I was somewhat skeptical coming into Classy thinking there's no way it can be as good as it sounds, but I'm so happy to be proven wrong. Pros include (but are certainly not limited to):
    - Surrounded by all-stars; colleagues are hungry, driven and supportive
    - Learn something new every single day
    - Always purpose-driven, from our vision and mission to even the day-to-day decisions that get made at every level
    -Opportunities to deepen involvement in company culture are there if you want them, but not forced if you don't
    -Leaders empower their teams to take ownership of projects and grow by leaps and bounds
    -Inspiring sessions like "Brain Food Fridays" that connect us to our clients' amazing work and allow each employee to really see Classy's positive impact first-hand; especially great for those who don't interact with clients on a day-to-day basis
    -How can I not mention the dogs and cold brew?

Cons

The only con I can think of is born from the fact that it's an incredibly exciting time for Classy: as with any rapidly growing company, there are some expected pain points along the way, but how the team navigates these – while staying true to Classy's vision and core values – is impressive.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on: the continued transparency and emphasis on culture provides a foundation at Classy that not only drives us forward, but also radiates into the work we're doing with our amazing nonprofit clients.

May 25, 2017 – Sr. People Operations Specialist

We aim to make the employee experience at Classy fantastic for everyone, and are so pleased to hear we’ve exceeded your expectations coming in. We truly appreciate your feedback.

10. "The first of many years here..."

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

Pros

My time here at Classy has truly been an eye-opening experience. Past jobs have left me wanting more from my industry, management, and company. Classy is truly invested in helping the NPO's of the world make a difference. And that attitude and conviction ring true from top to bottom. When I first arrived I thought I would be the only one here from outside of the tech or NPO space. What I found is that my story was far more familiar here than I thought. Classy is full of dreamers and forward thinkers who left their previous jobs to work at a company that shares their passion. Doesn't hurt that you get to live in San Diego as well! I've been in the workforce for a while now and can say unequivocally that you will find few places that truly care about their employees, customers, and impact like Classy does.

Cons

I can't really think of any cons, problems, or complaints that are worth mentioning here in this review. As with most younger companies, there have been some growing pains. But Classy has navigated them well.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep the collaborative and progressive spirit that you have cultivated here from the beginning alive!