Classy Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Classy Co-Founder & CEO Scot Chisholm
Scot Chisholm

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company culture and management support is really what I love about my job" (in 19 reviews)

• "Classy has the best people and an excellent work/life balance" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "With any growing company there are growing pains" (in 19 reviews)

• "401k matching not yet available" (in 18 reviews)

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Classy full-time

Pros

Amazing product and amazing customer base

Cons

Kombucha and Cold Brew run out quickly

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"Just awful."

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cold brew and kombucha on tap. Good coworkers. Cool office. Half day Fridays is okay. PTO isn't bad. They invest in great technologies that make your day more efficient as a salesperson.

Cons

I'm writing this because I was so mislead by the reviews on here and I don't want anyone else to experience the same. The sales org is a mess. The turnover rate is unlike anything I've ever seen before. My first month there 5 people quit. No wonder, they make your day to day miserable! Every move you make is micromanaged. You feel like you're under constant surveillance. You are expected to be a dial-making machine who can eat lunch at his/her desk while making phone calls at the same time. God forbid you are two minutes late to work one day, you can definitely expect a passive-aggressive text message from your manager (two minutes late, no joke, this happened). Then, you have to go home and do more prospecting because of course there is no time built in during the day for that. You end up working at least 50 hours a week because they make it impossible to do your job within a normal working hours. Oh and the pay is very much below average. Getting promoted is like a survivor episode, who can stick it out long enough and put up with enough of this company's BS to stick around?

Advice to Management

Free food does not forgive all the terrible micromanaging that happens. Build in time for prospecting during the day. Treat your employees like adults. Give us more autonomy in handling the accounts. Allow for more strategy in our selling. If you're going to expect us to work that many hours, warn us during the interview!

"Don't believe the hype"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative

I worked at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Classy does a lot of things well. They're a startup so things move quickly, change happens often. The sales training I received was phenomenal. Wins and victories are celebrated. The people are pretty great. The CEO is an awesome guy you can tell genuinely cares about the company and believes in its mission. They would bring in some current clients to speak on their story every once in awhile, giving you a break from the grind and reminding you of why non-profit work is so important. For the most part, this company really has it together.

Cons

The sales culture is toxic. The micromanagement that happens from the top down is suffocating. You feel like you can't even go to the bathroom without judgement or side eye for leaving your desk and taking a break from making dials. It was suggested to me multiple times to not take a lunch (even though I'm at my numbers) because I needed to do something work-related that happened to not be making dials. In case you don't get the gist, they only want you there to make dials, there is no strategy or creativity to your selling. Expect to work 50-60 hours a week just to keep your head above water. Don't expect to get paid fairly for it. They talk constantly about this "grit" and "grind," trying to glorify all the (frankly) misery in order to make it seem like this is just the way it is in sales. In reality, having worked for larger companies in the past, you can get paid much better and work a normal 40 hour week without feeling like a completely disposable dialer tool.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging. You hired these people for a reason, so trust them to do their jobs. I wouldn't have had so many grievances about the pay if I wasn't working so many hours in the week. Keep up the great and the ongoing sales training, keep up the transparency and open communication at the executive level, keep bringing in clients to inspire us.

Classy Response

Oct 16, 2018 – President & Chief Revenue Officer

Thank you for the feedback. Classy is at a pivotal time in our history as our growth continues to accelerate and we help even more nonprofits grow their impact.

Through this growth, we’ve made... More

"Beyond time for the BoD to get involved"

I worked at Classy full-time

Pros

-Incredible product for the SMB space (not so much for MM and ENT)
    -Great office (dog friendly too!)
    -Awesome coworkers

Cons

Classy's Sales Leadership Team is seriously a disaster. The Board of Directors needs to step in and fast! Things just keep getting worse. Dismal customer retention rate, severe micro-management, unreasonable quota, ever-changing quota and lower commission pay out; sales employees can't leave soon enough! They've significantly over-hired, and foolishly continue to hire thinking that will lead to increased sales, however, working off a recycled account list that's been harassed by countless Classy employees before you is NOT going to work. Very low base pay; you have to fight for a raise, and will likely be threatened along the way for bringing up salary. Leadership will seem offended you asked to get paid your worth. No 401K match. Constantly blame things on "being a startup" rather than learning from their mistakes or making sound business decisions (hence the need for the BoD to step in).

Advice to Management

Allow your best salespeople to SELL, not prospect 90% of their day. Your bleeding money (and employees) by over-hiring. Focus on quality not quantity.

"Unfortunately Disappointing- They aren’t what they claim to be"

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The time off, lunches they bring in sometimes, the kumbucha and coffee on tap. The monthly stand ups are motivational but aren’t a testament to what’s actually happening internally. Scot, the CEO, seems to care but the company will hire on new exec-level positions in conjunction with laying off the “lower level” reps. I do like the company outings though, so that’s a positive.

Cons

There is not pathway for growth or opportunity currently. Many people are being told to wait it out while doing the same job day in and day out, hitting numbers, but not seeing any chance to take the next step. All the while, higher level execs are being brought on to cut costs and slowly delete departments. They claim to be an ethical company with high moral standards by “empowering the world for good” but are just burning bridges with non-profits because of the endless cold outreach- calls, emails, LinkedIn, Facebook or any way you can hunt people down to ‘take a call’. A lot of the management doesn’t seem to makes sense; some people are underqualified while others seem to be overqualified for their position. There is no stability, but they won’t let go of the people that are underperforming either. It’s pretty sad. For those who don’t meet or exceed their expectations, they are put on “performance plan” where you’ll be micromanaged until you meet their unrealistic expectations or quit voluntarily. It may be because they dont want to pay unemployment but it seems beyond unethical to string people along all while belittling them. I’ve seen it happen too often. To be honest, the turn over is unlike anything I’ve seen before, with top-heavy management (many of whom have never done the job themselves) that practice intimidating and outdated techniques. Clients aren’t happy, the software is sub-par but expectations continue to increase- all the while you’re working 50-60 hours to allow for time at home where you are required to prospect your own leads and work accounts that have asked to not be contacted.

Advice to Management

Review your current management team, it’s too top-heavy with little to no need for a lot of these people that haven’t done the job. Value the people that actually do the job. I’m not sure how to fix the colossal mistakes that have happened and the laying off of an entire team due to a “finance error” but I do think the company can do better. Stop the buractratic top- down approach and listen to the people in the ground level. Allow for professional development, rather than putting off long overdue opportunity for upward mobility.

"Classy was one big load of BS!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-amazing office environment
    -incredible mission
    -young, energetic vibe
    -tons of outings/parties

Cons

-micromanagement unlike any other company I've worked for
    -sales department is truly a huge mess
    -classless approach to terminating their employees
    -noncompetitive pay

"Working toward something better"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of great people working at Classy around a shared mission to empower the non-profit community. The company is still small / young enough that anyone coming in has an opportunity to make an impact.

Cons

There's some growing pains as Classy works to scale its business, platform and identity while holding on to it's young, scrappy, upstart soul.

For engineering, it can often feel very top down from other departments on what we build and why.

"The people at Classy create an unparalleled atmosphere and culture"

Current Employee - Finance Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* The office atmosphere is better than I could have imagined
    * The people in the office are consistently pushing themselves to be better, which creates an environment of personal and company growth
    * There is a great balance of work collaboration and out of office team building - I feel welcomed and encouraged to participate across departments
    * Upper management does a great job of communicating information throughout org levels

Cons

*The kombucha tap runs out too soon

Advice to Management

Create even more opportunities for departments to provide visibility on projects to other departments

"Fast Growing and Learning Company"

Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are tons of great reviews on Glassdoor and for good reason. The best way to describe this company is really smart people working really hard to create an awesome product. There are definitely some road bumps and things that can be improved, but overall, everyone is working towards improvement.

Cons

Just like every company growing fast, Classy is working through growing pains. There are constant improvements being made and the only limitation is the amount of time it takes due to resource constraints. No doubt we will get over this issue.

Advice to Management

Keep working towards improvement!

"Best job, best company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Classy has such an amazing work environment and so much room to grow. I have enjoyed every minute that I have worked here.

Cons

So far, I have not seen any cons. However, you need to be open to change with a startup environment and be able to go with the flow.