Classy Employee Reviews about "nonprofits"

Updated Feb 10, 2020

4.1
Classy Co-Founder and CEO Scot Chisholm
Scot Chisholm
Pros
  • "Love the mission, the people that work here, the company culture & environment(in 22 reviews)

• "Product is best in class and you can stand behind what we are asking nonprofits to invest in(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "You have to be type of person that is okay with growing pains and constant changes (literally, by the hour)(in 22 reviews)

• "Glad to be heading to greener pastures with an employer that actually provides a 401k match and a fosters a culture of respect(in 17 reviews)

Reviews about "nonprofits"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Place to Grow Your Career"

Current Employee - Lead Product Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I came to Classy about 2 years ago from start up culture and felt right at home. It's fast paced, exciting, and there's plenty of opportunity to make an impact. I am fortunate to have a position that allows me to work cross functionality with leaders across the organization. From leadership down to the front line, I truly feel that people who work at Classy are here because they want to help nonprofits make the world a better place. People are passionate, hard working, and we look to build each other up and challenge each other to be better. And, it doesn't hurt that we have an amazing office, great benefits like 1/2 day Friday's the first Friday of the month, volunteer time off, and they just started work from home Wednesdays! I've really appreciated the strides the organization has made to train and invest in their managers, as well as provide opportunities for leaders to step up and take on projects outside of their comfort zone. Our CEO has a strong vision for where he wants to take the company and is a hands on leader that truly adds value. He's constantly working to better himself, the organization, and find ways to support and empower his staff.

Cons

It's fast-paced which means things change often. You have to be comfortable with change and ambiguity, and have the ability to step up and be an owner. That's the name of the game in start-up culture, but that's not for everyone.

Head of Talent

We're so happy to hear that Classy is providing you with a well rounded experience.

"It's been a long run, and at every turn a new set of challenges and learnings"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-This company has always dug deep to focus on impact and thought-leadership in the space. Sure we are a fundraising platform, we have aggressive revenue and profitability goals like any other tech company that's been around for over a decade. While our platform is great, and industry-leading in its offerings, it has been our commitment to the impact we want to have on the nonprofit space, and the pledge we have made to provide donors, fundraisers, and nonprofit admins with the most modern and amazing experience that has allowed for our continued growth and success. -There is not a soul in the building who won't admit that the leadership of this company makes a concerted effort to ensure that working for Classy means enjoying benefits that are not standard in the space. And I am not talking about standard benefits (like health, dental, and vision which are also great) I am talking about the small things that add up to making employees feel appreciated. 2-3 different beers always on tap in the Classy pub, cold brew, coffee/espresso/lattes, kombucha. We celebrate big time for Pride week, and st. Patricks Day. They encourage employees to feel comfortable bringing their dogs into work, they constantly offer ways for employees to volunteer for causes we love. Unlimited PTO. After all these years, from 10 employees to 200+, we still hold monthly All Hands meetings, where we block out 2 hours, snacks and drinks are provided for the whole company, and our leaders stand up in front of the company, talk about the health of the organization, highlight individuals who are brand new, or who are achieving career growth, answer the really hard questions with honestly, it really feels like a family as corny as that sounds. -Career growth for those who take initiative, unlike anything I have ever seen in a company this big. While Classy's ability to provide standardized career growth tracks for employees across the board has been questionable over the growth years (reading through other posts that's been a consistent knock), what I can attest to is that Classy's leadership is completely open, and all ears to creative and innovative suggestions from employees who have the confidence to step up. Do all employees fall into this bucket? No, unfortunately that's not a holistic trait that all employees at a tech company embody. That being said, our leadership team has always admitted that they aren't always right, they don't always make the right decisions, and they are hungry for others to make suggestions that make more sense than the current course. I have seen this time and time again, those that have a strategic mindset, bring ideas to the table along with a plan to test it's validity, are typically the employees that find accelerated career growth here at Classy -The future of the company, and the space is very bright. With the competitive landscape drastically consolidating, and the growth that online giving has been seeing year over year, Classy is positioned to take control of some markets that it hasn't had the ability to previously. If you are looking to work in the tech space for a company that has the potential to still be around and thriving in 10 years, Classy is definitely a strong bet to make on your career. All this being said, it's on Classy and its leadership to deliver some much needed progress in the next year to stay in this power position, and that is something we will need to wait for and see...

Cons

-Classy is a tech company that builds and licenses a product to an ever-growing nonprofit space. Classy's product, and its ability to continue to innovate its product will make or break Classy's chances at hitting its very aggressive revenue and profitability goals that it has set. I have been here for over 5 years, and I have seen the ebbs and flows that Classy's product has had when it comes to product innovation. In the first half of my tenure, we were completely ahead of the game. Our current product was already ahead of what other competitors we frantically putting into their future roadmaps, and our own future roadmap was shaping the precedent for how the NPO tech space needed to push the envelope. Fast forward a few years, and we find ourselves in the hunt with everyone else, fighting tooth and nail to get to market first on features. This current challenge does not come from a continuing systematic failure, rather it was the result of a product strategy that took questionable priorities, sequenced these priorities in a questionable order, and deployed questionable scaling tactics to arrive at our desired outcome. While I would definitely say that this is a legitimate con to working at Classy, it is absolutely a historical challenge, rather than an ongoing or future challenge. In line with what I said in the pro section, our leadership team admits to placing the wrong bet, or making a bad strategic decision. They have owned up to this, they have corrected our course, and brought in experts to lead our product down the best path. This remains a question mark as I watch and see how this new direction, and new product leadership not only corrects our past mistakes, but furthers our product innovation to meet the standards that we have made our clients feel accustomed to having in our partnership with them over the years. I know, it's a tall order, but now is the time, we have the right people, and I am eager to see it happen. -Leadership turnover has been higher than we feel comfortable seeing. I wish I could pin this turnover on one reason, or a subset of reasons that point to a systematic failure, but the truth is that it has been for a myriad of reasons. Classy is a respected tech company in the nonprofit space, Classy has a sterling reputation that is difficult to live up to at times, and Classy has gone through a recent series of investment rounds over the last few years. Each round brought new challenges and new expectations for Classy's leadership to meet. Classy has been in extreme growth mode over the last couple of years, which has made it pretty difficult to see the forrest thru the trees. Short term goals, unreachable sales numbers, unnatural growth goals have all been themes that you might have heard around the water cooler. It is very hard to grow and scale at a velocity that has not been achieved to date, that also seems to compound quarter over quarter. I would credit most of our leadership turnover to the casualties that we faced during these high growth periods, where outcomes weren't delivered, and while we have always held our frontline reps and managers accountable to their goals, it was only right and fair to hold department heads to the same accountability. So for the folks who have been here at Classy throughout all of this, you could say that we carry some war wounds with us. But for those of you joining Classy now, I do believe that we have settled into our position in the market, we have gained insights from our previous battles, and we are positioned to take on goals that we fully support

Sr. Manager, Recruiting

Thank you so much for this thoughtful review. We appreciate the time and effort this must have taken. We take all your comments to heart. We agree that investing in all levels is critical! We are a small but people-forward company, and we've taken great strides over the last year and a half to carve out career pathing resources for our team members to own their careers. From encouraging interdepartmental exploration, to investing resources into a structured Learning & Development/Professional Development program, we are committed to taking the right steps to make sure our people feel like they have paths and futures here. We also have a rigorous advancement process to ensure we have regular opportunities to evaluate employees for promotion. Stay tuned as we will be rolling out more development resources over the next year and a half.

"Classy engineering went through some speedbumps, but we're on the open road now."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Classy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Classy has been very good to me, and the best place I've ever worked. I care a lot about the company, I work hard, and they recognize it. The past couple of years have been quite a journey for the engineering department. After a management change and a decision to bring on an offshore team, there were a large number of tenured employees who left. My theory (I'm not a psychic) is that Classy had been in such a family-like startup phase for so long that it was tough for some to grasp the changes that needed to take place for us to move forward into becoming a permanent, profitable business. Others may have sought a stable environment over the obvious effort it was going to take to bring Classy through the transition period. To each their own, and I respect anyone's career decisions. I've ran from tumultuous periods in several startups, so I get it, but I decided that this time I would stick around and try to be a force of change. I'm very happy with my decision. We are now on the other side of that debacle and morale is back to where it was when I joined almost two years ago. To name a few positives: engineers are paid market salaries, we are not expected to work ridiculous hours, we work on a product that has a net benefit on society, and we have a great time with each other. Name another company that you can say all of those things about. Technically speaking, we have some really cool stuff. Our platform is diverse enough for most web engineers to find their home. We've got react, angular, laravel, node, sick infra on aws, serverless, you name it. And I've never seen someone prevented from working on another piece of the stack they were interested in.

Cons

The nonprofit sector is not silicon valley. The money that funds our business ultimately comes from donations. Don't expect daily catered lunches and limit-free expense accounts, but do expect to feel good about the product you're building.

Continue reading

"Great Company and even better people but definitely challenging at times"

4.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people make it great, I've never been surrounded by more genuine, caring and supportive people in a workplace. CEO is awesome, truly cares about his employees and that attitude is reflected in a lot of the work place. The office is epic. Great culture and people definitely like to have fun along with performing well. Leadership for the most part is very transparent, open and willing to listen to feedback from anyone. I'd like to think that none of the leaders have a large ego here which makes them very relatable and easy to get along with. The work itself and the partners make things rewarding, you get to see the work you do has a profound impact on nonprofits and ultimately helping people in the world

Cons

You read the other reviews, there's definitely been hiccups along the way, growing pains. Its not perfect and that's no secret. I'd like to think it's exciting working at a company at this stage of their life and the challenges that come with it, you learn so much. Those challenges can have negative impact on people though which can be tough. There is also a lot of pressure from investors and the board and that can definitely be felt within the company. Also working with nonprofits can be a grind, really tough to work with at times in terms of how they operate.

Sr. Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for the note. We are glad you are enjoying your journey at Classy. There have been hiccoughs along the way (and this industry can be tough) but we are confident that the online giving space is ripe for disruption and our hard work will pay off.

"Great Product, not sales culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Classy full-time

Pros

The actual product is fantastic and they are truly making a much needed change to the online fundraising space. Scott (CEO's) vision for the company is in the right place and they are continuing to do incredible work with nonprofits

Cons

Sales culture at Classy is an ever changing project that has yet to be perfected. Think of the metaphor working on the car while driving down the road only they are constantly trying to take pieces out of the card and replace them with pieces that don't fit. Leadership is ever changing and nothing is consistent. It makes it really hard for reps to hit their goals especially in a market that is already difficult to sell to. If you are looking work with Nonprofits and feel like you are making a difference then Classy is the company for you although I would advise against sales. If you are looking for stability and consistency then stay away.

Continue reading

"Great product, great mission, great culture, tough market"

4.0
    Former Employee - SDR in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time for less than a year

Pros

The office environment is a big perk to the job, and one of their biggest hiring strengths. In a sales gig, especially in Saas, it can be tough feeling like you are having much of an 'impact' on the world, but obviously if numbers are great that may not be a big worry. At Classy you get to speak with nonprofit professionals every day and get to help them make a difference in their organizations (which may or may not be a positive given your disposition). - dog friendly workplace - overlooks the ballpark and all of down town - catered lunches, beer/coffee on tap, etc etc - the founders are great and very approachable

Cons

- it's tough selling software to nonprofits in general, but in a congested market it is even tougher. - generally skilled, helpful sales managers, but it is a performance driven team. learn and do well quickly, or else it will become uncomfortable (this isn't particularly unique to this company, generally the case in any B2b sales job) - comp plan changed almost every other month. not fair, or motivating in that you never really knew the impact of hitting your numbers.

President & Chief Revenue Officer

We are so glad that you had helpful sales managers. We are a performance driven organization, and our sales culture is metrics driven. In past years, the comp plans have changed too frequently. We know that consistency is something is so important to our staff; we have listened to all the feedback coming into 2019 and rectified the situation. We are now basing our sales quotas off of realistic goals. We love our partnership with Salesforce!

"SDR"

2.0

I worked at Classy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The office space is awesome Dog friendly office is a huge perk They hire great people Unlimited cold brew is cool Great product and cool problem to solve Some great managers If I was not in sales I’m sure it would be a fun experience.

Cons

With in my first 3 weeks they laid off half my hiring class after I moved across the country to be apart of “ San Diego’s top tech company.” Just heard they laid off the rest of my hiring class in March 5th. Quotas are not realistic, very few people hit their OTE. Not because they are not capable sales professionals, but because there is simply not enough hours in the day to be pounding the phones to hit them. It is possible but an absolute grind. Direction of the company is questionable. Working only with nonprofits is not fun if you are used to doing sales in the for profit space. I have been successfully in sales for multiple years and this was by far my worst experience. After going to a new tech company do I really realize how terrible of an experience it really was.

Sales Operations Manager

Thank you for the note. We admittedly were faced with some difficult decisions earlier this year, but we have rebounded by adhering to a much more disciplined goal setting process. We have found the right quota mix (attainable yet sustainable). Working with non-profit organizations is a complex, yet rewarding experience, and we agree that being passionate about the space makes the job much easier. We are happy to hear that you are thriving in your new role and wish you continued success.

"Gross Mismanagement & Toxic Culture... With a View!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Classy full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will make some friends at Classy as it used to attract great people. The office is nice (while they are still in it). Dogs around the office, cold brew.

Cons

OVERVIEW: Where to start... Classy and its management does not care about its employees at all. It went from being a great environment to one of the most toxic companies under its new leadership. Morale is always low, there is no such thing as job security, and they have conducted 2 mass firings in the past 8 months simply because they have no idea what they are doing, and the answer is always just to fire more people to free up capital. CEO: The CEO is honestly a good guy, but he has no business running a large company. He is over it. He's tired, has lost interest, and is being pushed around by the new CRO simply because he wants an out. You can tell when you see him that he doesn't care anymore, and rather than push forward or step down, he is misleading all the employees forward. PRODUCT: Selling the Classy product is not easy. You are selling into the nonprofit space, which is a "good mission", but nonprofits already have no $$ and you are trying to sell them incredibly expensive software. The only thing Classy has is that its the most aesthetically pleasing, otherwise it lacks features that competitors have, it hasn't been innovated in years, and is priced at the high end of the market. No point in wasting a sales career here. SALES: Quotas are constantly changing and are more and more unattainable. They take months to get a comp plan to you. Hitting/exceeding quotas doesn't even give you job security. MANAGEMENT: The management here is all centered around shady micromanagement with not one ounce of transparency. There are a large group of managers who have no business being a sales manager. All led by the condescending CRO who has no idea what he is doing in this space. He pushed out some great talent and people from the company. The management took this company from being a top workplace to have an 80% turnover rate and incredibly unhappy employees in less than a year. OVERALL: If you come to interview at Classy, it is very easy to get blinded by the great office, amazing view, and what they present as the morale. Don't let them fool you. This is a churn and burn company that will screw you over any chance they get.

Continue reading

"Classy is stronger than some bad glass door reviews"

Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Classy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compared to other companies that I've worked at, pretty much everything, especially the people and culture. I don't really understand the recent negative reviews and felt compelled to write a positive review to defend things (and no, I wasn't forced to write this!). There are challenges right now, especially in sales, but the people I work with on a daily basis are no where close to these reviews. If you've been at a startup before, you understand that there are waves of growing pains as you go for something greater. Classy is now working with thousands of amazing nonprofit organizations and continues to bring on hundreds every month, so the future looks very promising!

Cons

There are definitely some scaling challenges right now as Classy enters the next phase of growth, especially in sales. Sales has a new leader though that came from Okta and has a ton of experience so things are almost certainly going to get better for the AE and SDR teams. Our focus on enterprise and mid market also made leadership team decide to cut some people on the SDR team that focused on smaller nonprofits.

Continue reading

"Ready to be an SDR hunting nonprofits?"

I worked at Classy full-time for more than a year

Pros

- relevant, meaningful, engaging industry - increasing brand awareness and generally positive reputation in the space, huge sense of pride and community at Classy - a company that's changing and evolving so rapidly that veterans and new hires alike are valued for their opinions and their unique personalities - a CEO that anyone here would have taken a bullet for - dog-friendly office, beautiful space, work hard/play hard culture - inclusive and fun work environment - genuinely incredible people from diverse backgrounds - chance to be a part of The Collaborative in Boston - people leave higher-paying jobs or more tenured positions to work for Classy - large office-wide meetings that highlight certain nonprofits or social movements with catered Lemonade lunches - encourages volunteering, fundraising, contributing to social good - guaranteed: walking into the office every morning, thinking, "how did I get so lucky?" - your coworkers WILL become your best friends and family. People joining Classy from out-of-town are immediately welcomed and, depending on how quickly you drink the cool-aid, absorbed into the culture, experience, the contagiously energized work environment.

Cons

- frowned upon to work normal hours, ideal of a hardworking and valuable employee is one that stays beyond 8 hour days and doesn't take lunches - procedures and rules and even quotas change monthly, pivots are sudden - decisions are made impulsively, drastically affecting some peoples' paths to promotions or bonuses, then management plays dumb and moves on to other things - lack of experience managing in the sales department. Either way no matter how successful you've been in the past, how large your deals were in your prime, even if you were an AE closing business previously - selling to nonprofits is a completely different world. Honestly in sales the people that were most successful came in at 6am and left at 6pm, kept their pipelines fresh, had high activity, and never took vacation. It's a numbers game, this isn't a place where you can hand-pick what you want to work and spend your time doing. - lack of logic - management was asking team to perform 70+ outbound calls daily because working backwards from number of opportunities to number of calls, it was the bare minimum they needed us to do in order to show new senior leadership that they were trying. - bad budgeting decisions - degrading into a hire/fire and churn/burn environment - hiring the wrong people from outside and promoting the wrong people from within, this is a really delicate balance that's easy to screw up - 2017 started micro-managing, demoting, laying off many people - morale can become extremely low, no structure or process to achieving success and management will blame the employees and question them and threaten with performance plans resulting in dismissal as early as 4 months employment at Classy - have not found the balance between efficiency and volume - lack of prospects, lack of strategy, lack of opportunity, too many salespeople, too few salespeople... - as with most SaaS companies - you build a tool and then it becomes a heavy sales organization with one goal of licensing it out to as many new clients as you can. Too much emphasis on acquiring new nonprofit business, not enough focus on retaining existing clients or fine-tuning tool. Ran into better competition too often without much to differentiate ourselves. Tech team is sharp but changes take way too long to happen. Beta-testing, unexpected delays and quick changes are hard to keep up with internally and are confusing and discouraging to current and prospective nonprofit clients

Found 22 reviews