Clayton Homes General Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Clayton Homes General Manager Reviews

Updated Dec 23, 2019

Clayton Homes President and CEO; President, Financial Services and Manufacturing Kevin T. Clayton (no image)
Kevin T. Clayton
  1. "Getting back to the previous company culture that made them a great place to work back in the 80s and 90s."

Current Employee - General Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Can be a fun place to work, and it's rewarding helping people become homeowners. Good pay plan for managers that produce.

Cons

Lots of pressure to produce. If a GM were to have a bump in the road with his local economy, or sales staff, and that resulted in him losing money for the company for 6 months to a year, he would spend the next period of equal time or more trying to dig himself out of the loses with no meaningful compensation. Many times winter months force the sales to stall out and a store to lose money during the end of the 4th qtr and the first part of the 1st qtr. I've heard stories of GMs living on their credit cards or home equity lines during this period of time only to have to pay it all back during the 2nd qtr. This can make it a tough roller coaster ride and frustrating. There is something of a disconnect with the marketing team at the corporate office and the field. Many promotions are rolled out without our input that prove to be largely ineffective.

Advice to Management

Realize that no matter how much you measure store traffic, application volume, closing ratios, quarterly promos, etc., that there is only one thing that makes a real difference and increases sales; that is the experience of dependable and trustworthy GMs that have proven themselves as top performers in sales first. Then help that GM hire the best of the best salespeople.

Clayton Homes2012-12-05
  2. "Great company"

Current Employee - General Manager in Alexandria, LA

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits and amazing extras. Good pay if you work hard.

Cons

Lots of hours difficult to have work life balance at GM level

Clayton Homes2019-12-23
  3. "Progressive Company"

Current Employee - General Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been associated with the retail division of Clayton Homes for over 20 years and they are currently the most innovative company in the business of manufactured housing. There is no other company in this business I would rather work for.

Cons

In retail the hours and multifaceted aspects of the job can be demanding. The number of hats a manager wears seems endless as we essentially operate shallowly staffed "mom and pop" locations. There is no college reimbursement available for retail employees yet there is for corporate office employees. Also corporate office employees get specific holidays off while retail employees in the field do not. It would be nice to see mutual respect for retail employees to get something similar even if it is not the same days off.

Advice to Management

As a manager, I would like to see salespersons comp better from the start instead of there being a year of hard work to graduate to a higher pay comp. As an employee I would like to see a stronger 401k match and better benefits and an equity reward for xx number of years of tenure that increases and gets better with time. This would encourage others to stick with this career for much longer.

Clayton Homes2016-02-07

"MIT"

Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, decent people at the home centers. Not bad for training pay

Cons

You work every day for 10-12 hours and they usually don't even have a home center available for you to take over.

Advice to Management

Sexual harassment training, financials training, also screen some of the new hires a little better. I worked with some criminals.

Clayton Homes2016-01-14
  5. "Good experience overall"

Current Employee - General Manager in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great opportunity to make money for locations in the right area of the country. Excellent product. Great value in housing. General Manager shares P&L net profit with company. No cap on earnings.

Cons

Financing for customers is getting tougher. Land costs in certain areas of the country can be cost prohibitive. Housing market has been struggling. Many factors can get in the way of completing the sale beyond the customer saying yes (financing, budget constraints, interest rates and terms, zoning, etc.)

Clayton Homes2012-08-24