Clayton Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin T. Clayton

Pros
  • The teams are looking to expand with new team members which will improve the Work Life balance for many departments (in 6 reviews)

• They manage to maintain outstanding sales and has great backing as a Berkshire Hathaway company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, Limited vacation time for sales staff (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management is not versed in digital marketing, so it can be difficult to justify and gets action approved for the department (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great earning potential"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Texarkana, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Texarkana, TX

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

your paid on performance

Cons

long hours not much home time

2. "Product Owner"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Alcoa, TN
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Alcoa, TN

I have been working at Clayton Homes (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture that Clayton Homes strives to achieve is a good one. An on-site workout facility, outstanding management training resources, a healthy work-life-balance motto. I have worked there for almost 8 years and have had an overall positive experience.

Cons

For their information technology department, they are a bit behind the times and have a high amount of technical debt to pay down. This makes the department a frustrating place to work in at the moment. Their goals for change are good ones, but the execution thus far has failed to achieve appropriate buy-in from all managers and employees, and has adopted a more directive approach, rather than one that empowers creativity and change. That being said, I cannot imagine being the primary driver for a change initiative of this scale. Casualties and complaints are unavoidable. I have no doubt, in the long run, once the bumps and wrinkles have been ironed out, Clayton will be much stronger as a result.

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate the impact that investing in the technological platform can have on the long-term profitability and sustainability of the company's success.

3. "Beware of the wolf in sheep's clothing"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rogersville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rogersville, TN

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really good people that work there

Cons

Pay scale varies depending on what plant you work in even if you are doing the same job

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees and stop trying to cut corners because people live in the homes you create

"Just the good ole boys"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time

Pros

Great people here who are very spirited and into the company's mission. Great campus with excellent cafeteria and a new gym that is very convenient and well-serviced. They do a great job of fostering teamwork at Clayton and of keeping people engaged in the company.

Cons

Too many less than intelligent people in key management positions. Too many good ole boys who lack the intelligence, experience and training to be where they are. Why are they there? Good ole boys take care of other good ole boys. Vanderbilt is especially bad. That group is a joke honestly. The leaders in that organization are buddies with the CEO and are incredibly under-qualified for their jobs. Most of this is the fault of the elder Clayton (not Kevin) who likes to hire buddies and then let them run important roles for which they lack the qualifications. Bottomline: this company has a culture issue and it's a culture of hiring and promoting white men who are mostly under-qualified for their positions.

Advice to Management

Put the right people in the right places. Don't be afraid to axe people who lack the intelligence and willingness to learn..especially if they are in important managerial roles. Hope you're listening Kevin : )

"Good company"

Pros

Good hours. Sales commissions are nice after you grow your personal business.

Cons

High pressure sales/no upward mobility unless in retail management.

"Terrible pay and benefits"

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with customers, I guess. Until construction gets involved and the customers end up hating all of us because some people can't do their jobs right.

Cons

Gee, where do I start? The pay. Terrible. Take home is $300. For working from 9am to 7pm in summer, every Saturday as well (9-5). And the whole cr*p commission thing "Oh you can easily make over $150,000 a year" well, you can't. Even if you get to 9 or 15% commission, if you don't keep your houses booking every month (and you can't control that, your manager, the weather, and the construction crews do), you'll slide right back. And if a customer gives Clayton a 1 score on the six month phone call, back you go, 2% lost. Even if it wasn't your fault, but the construction or service crew (99% of the time it is), you lose 2% of your commission. The wages are a joke. And the medical benefits are too. I have a $3000 deductible to try to take home SOME of my stupid wage, so every year I spend my own money going to the doctor cause I'm never gonna reach that deductible. Or I can give away ANOTHER $50 of my precious take home pay and have $1000 deductible. Just don't do it. Honestly, go wait tables, you'll make more and have less stress. And you won't have to watch people sign up for mortgage rates of 9 or 10%.

Advice to Management

None. It works perfectly for them, I'm sure.

8. "Over Expectation"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lumberton, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lumberton, TX

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unique diverse company. Compensation well above city data average for a small town.

Cons

Not permitted to conceal carry. (As if that's a big deal though, lol)

9. "Why I think you would want to work for Clayton Homes"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Maryville, TN
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Clayton Homes as a contractor

Pros

The company strives to be the best for their employees professionally and personally. By offering an onsite fitness as well as full time wellness coaches it is a step that many companies do not offer.

Standup desks, walking trails, onsite dining, Onsite Fitness are just some of the great offerings.
    The teams in each business line participate in team building events such as Pot Lucks, Tailgating, Wiffle Ball tournaments and much much more.

Job performance--
    Each employee is unique and with 1800 in Maryville alone I cannot speak for every department. The teams are looking to expand with new team members which will improve the Work Life balance for many departments.

Since this summer I have personally seen over 20 employees promoted into new positions across the business. Some transfer from loan servicing to IT, others from HFA to Wellness. This to me demonstrates the companies commitment to you as a professional.

Cons

Some departments do work longer hours than others.
    IT Team members do feel stretched thin at times when there is a big release coming up but don't we all?

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the people that make the company so great. You offer so many perks and discounts.

10. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in East Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in East Ridge, TN

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are an amazing company to work for, They have great benefits, good hours and are a family oriented company. We are encouraged to work hard and get paid for it. I can't imagine working anywhere else. I have been lucky enough to work for them for 20 years and hope to work 20 more. They take really good care of their customers and care about every home we sell.

Cons

We do work in all kinds of weather.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

11. "For those who prefer a good environment over compensation"

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good and corporate office has a 1st class gym with full time trainers. Very flexible working hours and great PTO structure.

Cons

Heavy office politics and salaries are practically non-negotiable. Very difficult to advance unless you involve yourself in the office politics. Salaries are way below the average for the industry.

Advice to Management

Compensate good employees with promotions and not simply a pat on the back.