Clayton Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 10, 2017

2.0
Kevin T. Clayton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The teams are looking to expand with new team members which will improve the Work Life balance for many departments (in 6 reviews)

• Great people here who are very spirited and into the company's mission (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, Limited vacation time for sales staff (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management is not versed in digital marketing, so it can be difficult to justify and gets action approved for the department (in 7 reviews)

1. "Manufactured home sales"

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time

Pros

You are helping families own their own home.

Cons

This company has a hard time keeping their promises to customers even though they drill it in they will always do the right thing. They make the customers wait far to long without resolution and make the sales team seem like liars for making the promises.

Advice to Management

Take care if your customers quickly and accurately everytime! Small town areas do really shop for products and they will not stand for being taken advantage of no matter how wonderful and expensive your product is.

2. "Not what they promise"

I worked at Clayton Homes (More than a year)

Pros

The hood thing about working here is that you can get off when you need to.

Cons

No business half the week we could go without having one customer. The GM does not get in a hurry to submit your applications for customer houses to the bank.
    The money is not as good as they promise because not many customers show up

Advice to Management

Hire a new general manager, one who will push to get there employees apps approved

"Too Good to be True"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Alcoa, TN
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Alcoa, TN

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time

Pros

Compensation, Facilities, Medical/Dental Benefits, Team Share

Cons

Management, Future Projection, Business Acumen, Position Stability, Work Environment

Advice to Management

My interview and hiring process at Clayton was very slow. I was understanding of this and super excited by the time I was hired. Very quickly after starting, I discovered the position was NOTHING like the HR/management team depicted.
    In the multiple years I was there our team went through multiple managers, as well as the CIO being fired suddenly with no explanation. This really affected morale and no one seemed to care. Under the new CIO
    the management style was extremely hands off, until crunch time of course. Then they became hostile, demanding, and micromanaging....CYA mode as I like to call it.
    There was never any talk of career advancement. The team I worked on was extremely lacking in technical skill and initiative.
    I enjoyed the "depicted" culture Clayton portrayed to me at the beginning. It seemed like a company that had endless possibilities, and was super employee focused. Sadly this was not the case. From what I have heard Clayton's compensation packages lack compared to the competition. I didn't experience this as I was very content with my pay. Well, I then discovered why. If your compensation is good and competitive, expect to be used for all your talent and skill while they need it. Then expect to be disregarded when they think they can hand off your tasks to subordinates with half the skill and paycheck.

I can't speak for all departments, but the IT dept was a mess. The new CIO is a tight wad, who tries to be funny, but behind the scenes, leads by fear. This snubs out creativity and free thinking. Its very disheartening to see as, this company has the budget and talent access to do better. They strive so hard to mock the "Google culture" ....sadly they missed the fact that this means more then trendy logos and a kicked back dress code. Mocking Google's culture but not having the budget to employ the same young, fresh talent....Makes as much sense as being budget conscience and renting camels for "Hump day" ... Which they did.

Get it together Kevin Clayton. Treating young talent this way will run your company into the ground. Do you think the senior citizen managers you have are the future of your company? Think again, sir.

"Beware of the wolf in sheep's clothing"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rogersville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Rogersville, TN

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really good people that work there

Cons

Pay scale varies depending on what plant you work in even if you are doing the same job

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees and stop trying to cut corners because people live in the homes you create

"Fall in Line or Else!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clayton Homes has some good amenities for their employees: on-site gym, on-site cafeteria, walking trails, and a disc golf course. Another nice thing about Clayton Homes is that they aren't too focused on actually doing work. It seems like there is a daily party or craft-making session somewhere in the building, and as long as you are doing the minimum of what is required, you will be able to keep your job.

Cons

The overall culture at Clayton Homes is that you turn a blind eye to the company's shady business practices. There's a reason that the CFPB has investigated them multiple times. They are in the business of making money from high interest mortgages. They prey on individuals and promise to "open doors to a better life, one home at a time" when in reality, they are selling a lifetime of debt on an immediately depreciating asset.

If you can be willfully ignorant of their business practices, then perhaps Clayton is the right place for you. That is, until you encounter their management strategy. Essentially, it boils down to this: always praise your management, never have a dissenting opinion, and don't try to make any sense of their decisions. Simply follow, do not question.

Lastly, the way in which they pay their employees is a joke. This is a company that is turning $500M+ in profit annually, yet refuses to provide the employees that enable their massive profits with a decent wage and affordable benefits. They mask their low wages with their profit sharing plan that has only continued to decline in payouts. That's the interesting thing about profit sharing vs. increased salary: the former can be taken away at a moment's notice to appease shareholders and boost profit numbers.

Advice to Management

There really isn't much Clayton Homes can do in order to address the cons. It's part of their core business practice. If they had decent mortgage rates like everyone else, their profit margins would go down tremendously, and that's just not something I think Warren Buffet would accept. They can, however, start to pay their employees more, give them decent benefits, and adjust their management mentality.

"Run if they offer you a job"

Pros

Money is decent if they pay you

Cons

You work a ton of hours. I had sold a home for cash and the company uses contractor movers to set their homes. The mover didnt want to set the home for the customer and it went over 45 days. The company charged my commission back out of my check and still had the money for the home I had sold, with no intention of refunding it to the customer. I was on pace to "circle" the first quarter I was there, which is their awards for high sales achievements, but by them doing this knocked me out of the award, which i do believe was a set up from the beginning, they don't want the new people to outsell their veterans.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees for what they sell, not for what homes your contractors want to set.

"Sexist good 'ol boy company"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Some financing for homes to help salespeople sell overpriced inventory

Cons

I did make over 100k in sales before Warren Buffet took over. After his take over, pay structure lowered for all. The worst good ol boy discrimination toward women ever. Glass ceilings everywhere.

Advice to Management

Thank you for finally firing several of the worst sexist men after I left - but SHAME on you for letting them abuse women and discriminate for YEARS!

"Explore other options"

Pros

The people you work with are great, some managers should not be managers. Just because someone can sell, it doesn't make them a leader or management material.

Cons

Salary too low. If you want to attract and retain quality sales people, you have to pay a professional salary. It's hard to support a family on this salary.

Advice to Management

Stop selling the fantasy of making 100K a year.

"Disappointment at local managements unprofessional and extremely questionable decision making."

Former Employee - Home Sales Consultant in Marshall, TX
    Former Employee - Home Sales Consultant in Marshall, TX

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some coworkers were great and the only thing that made it tolerable at all. Customers were great too cute the most part.

Cons

Management and their non performing pet employee who was allowed to stay and drag the whole does numbers down.

Advice to Management

Try making decisions based on something besides who kisses up and shakes their backside for you. Try enforcing dress codes and attendance requirements equally for everyone.

10. "When I was working for Tru mh I didn't feel like I had a team"

Pros

The hours are ok and pay is ok

Cons

Not enough people to keep up with produ

Advice to Management

Hire new supervisors because the ones they have had for a couple of years..they don't work heck they don't even get there hands dirty