Clayton Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

Clayton Homes Reviews

Updated August 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The teams are looking to expand with new team members which will improve the Work Life balance for many departments (in 6 reviews)

• They manage to maintain outstanding sales and has great backing as a Berkshire Hathaway company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, Limited vacation time for sales staff (in 9 reviews)

• The hardest part of the job is just trying to get a customer to visit a home center when they are unsure if what we offer is the right fit (in 5 reviews)

"Fall in Line or Else!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clayton Homes has some good amenities for their employees: on-site gym, on-site cafeteria, walking trails, and a disc golf course. Another nice thing about Clayton Homes is that they aren't too focused on actually doing work. It seems like there is a daily party or craft-making session somewhere in the building, and as long as you are doing the minimum of what is required, you will be able to keep your job.

Cons

The overall culture at Clayton Homes is that you turn a blind eye to the company's shady business practices. There's a reason that the CFPB has investigated them multiple times. They are in the business of making money from high interest mortgages. They prey on individuals and promise to "open doors to a better life, one home at a time" when in reality, they are selling a lifetime of debt on an immediately depreciating asset.

If you can be willfully ignorant of their business practices, then perhaps Clayton is the right place for you. That is, until you encounter their management strategy. Essentially, it boils down to this: always praise your management, never have a dissenting opinion, and don't try to make any sense of their decisions. Simply follow, do not question.

Lastly, the way in which they pay their employees is a joke. This is a company that is turning $500M+ in profit annually, yet refuses to provide the employees that enable their massive profits with a decent wage and affordable benefits. They mask their low wages with their profit sharing plan that has only continued to decline in payouts. That's the interesting thing about profit sharing vs. increased salary: the former can be taken away at a moment's notice to appease shareholders and boost profit numbers.

Advice to Management

There really isn't much Clayton Homes can do in order to address the cons. It's part of their core business practice. If they had decent mortgage rates like everyone else, their profit margins would go down tremendously, and that's just not something I think Warren Buffet would accept. They can, however, start to pay their employees more, give them decent benefits, and adjust their management mentality.

"Beware of wolves in sheeps clothing"

Pros

Because they make mad money the system can be fixed, but first they have to recognize its broken. If you are in the inner circle or good ole boys club life is great. But don't get caught on the out side....

Cons

I haven't found an honest person in the bunch. I am sure there are some, they are hard to spot and that includes upper managment. I was warned in the beginning to get everything they tell me in writing, now I understand why. They talk about a culture that doesn't really exist.

Advice to Management

Seek some personal training. Your system is flawed at its roots and until you break that cycle to will continue to breed less than the best people. money hides many things, but not the core of who you are. You can tell everyone you are an angel, doesn't make it true, and you will fool some people, some of the time....

3. "Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Home Consultant in Universal City, TX
    Former Employee - Home Consultant in Universal City, TX

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being in the right location is key.

Cons

You will have to be patient in the process.

4. "Over Expectation"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lumberton, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lumberton, TX

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unique diverse company. Compensation well above city data average for a small town.

Cons

Not permitted to conceal carry. (As if that's a big deal though, lol)

5. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in East Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in East Ridge, TN

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They are an amazing company to work for, They have great benefits, good hours and are a family oriented company. We are encouraged to work hard and get paid for it. I can't imagine working anywhere else. I have been lucky enough to work for them for 20 years and hope to work 20 more. They take really good care of their customers and care about every home we sell.

Cons

We do work in all kinds of weather.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

6. "For those who prefer a good environment over compensation"

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good and corporate office has a 1st class gym with full time trainers. Very flexible working hours and great PTO structure.

Cons

Heavy office politics and salaries are practically non-negotiable. Very difficult to advance unless you involve yourself in the office politics. Salaries are way below the average for the industry.

Advice to Management

Compensate good employees with promotions and not simply a pat on the back.

7. "Great company for production."

Current Employee - Top Building in Rockwell, NC
    Current Employee - Top Building in Rockwell, NC

I have been working at Clayton Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great for fast paced people who love constructive jobs for good causes. Great benefits and pay scale and great management compared to anywhere else I've worked. This job is a great opportunity for knowledge and skills training and team building. I am great full to be a part of it and love my job. Keep building!

Cons

Moving up is on you and what you do and make of your work decides on if you'll make it home before dinner is cold. If you can't take the heat stay out of the plant I'd say.

Advice to Management

Conduct a better way of initiating department head counts. I notice the lack of cross trained people and we need back ups when people are out sick or whatever may be.

8. "Labourer"

Former Employee - Laborer in Rockwell, NC
    Former Employee - Laborer in Rockwell, NC

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and you are guaranteed 8 hours if you work 6.
    Excellent and affordable benefits and 401k.

Cons

Bosses on personal friendship relations.
    Little to no chance of advancement.
    Some bosses hardly know what they are put in charge of.
    Everything is winging it.

Advice to Management

Hire bosses that aren't personal friends with upper management.

9. "Amazing career"

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Paris, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Paris, TN

I worked at Clayton Homes full-time

Pros

The salary, training, bonuses, friendships, hours, poetry much everything about this job was wonderful.

Cons

There were not many negatives. If you came prepared to work, this job is fantastic.

Advice to Management

Train more people. Train younger people. New more personable and available. Create more techniques for training.

"Clayton - IT position"

Former Employee - Senior BI Analyst in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior BI Analyst in Maryville, TN

Pros

Employee-centric environment with on-site cafeteria, gym and exercise programs to maintain healthy life, work balance.

Cons

Employee to work ratio is lean - sometimes too lean requiring multiple position coverage for extended periods so primary job function is not only focus.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore employee departures - might want to consider 'exit interview' process to improve work procedures and standards