Clean Harbors Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Clean Harbors Chairman, President, and CEO Alan S. McKim
Alan S. McKim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work for, company enjoys to promote your after work environment (in 17 reviews)

• Great company to work for good people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management in the company needs to give the Buffalo branch manager the tools he needs to work with (in 28 reviews)

• Long hours with a strong possibility of required Saturday work (in 20 reviews)

1. "Stock Holder profits and investment opportunities are put in front of employee benefits"

Current Employee - Chemist in Dolton, IL
    Current Employee - Chemist in Dolton, IL

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are some times opportunities to work overtime. Some departments get none while other departments get a lot of overtime.

Cons

There is no 401-K match. The company keeps buying up competitors on the profit on the profit they make off our labor and refuses to share any of the profits in the form of lower health care benefits and lower health care premiums. None of the different departments work together. Internal politics are killing the company. Each department is more concern with their departments profit margin. The company misses out on working more efficiently by putting every department out for their self. One department may have a lot of work, but then the company will NOT allow other employees to pick up hours working in those other departments. There is not cross training and chances to utilize their employees to the companies advantage and to the employees best potential.

Advice to Management

Employees are getting fed up with they way things are currently going. Because every month we read the emails how Clean Harbors is buying up different competitors, so we see and know that the company is extremely profitable. But, none of the profits are being use towards paying your currently employees. Why haven't the company restored the 401-K program? Why is the company not helping out the employees by offering a more competitive health care program. Employee are stuck paying $150 per week ($7800 per year) in health care premiums and they stuck paying $6000 per year in out of pocket health care expenses. So those of us with kids are get sick are loosing out of $13800 of annual income because of medical cost. The company is no longer a family friendly company. It is a great place to work if you are single and healthy. But if you have a family and kids, it is a horrible place to work. Then as far as offering a future? What future do we have with Clean Harbors when we have not a single penny getting thrown at us those our retirement fund. Wake u[p before your employees start a National Unionize Movement or a large amount of your driver start to wake up and realize other Union companies pay better pay and offer better health care benefits.

2. "Field Supervisor"

Former Employee - Field Service Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Field Service Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours, if you like to travel then this job is for you moat of the time you would stay in low budget hotels

Cons

Very, very disorganized you might not know what your doing from day to day literally and the management is horrendous they hire people with no experience and expect you to give up your life, very unsafe workplace all they care about is getting the job done and that's with every office.. because when you travel you'll work for different managers and trust me there all different most of them don't know how to do the job let alone bid it. I felt like it was a year waste of my life what a joke definitely would not recommend working for this so called environmental company..

Advice to Management

They wouldn't take good advice of it was given to them.

"Bottom of the barrel."

Former Employee - Chemist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Chemist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clean Harbors (More than 5 years)

Pros

Long, long hours, mostly outdoor labor.

Cons

Low pay, lousy benefits, no leadership, favoritism, in group politics, high turnover rate, exposure to toxic chemicals, lack of training, incorrect or broken equipment, poor supervision, zero top level management support, frozen pay year after year, top level management brags about their stock options and high pay while cutting their employees to the bone. Only take a position at Harbors if you don't have any choice.

Advice to Management

Stop bragging about your profits and executive perks in front of the hourly branch employees.

4. "Racist, disrespectful & degrading"

Former Employee - Refinery Operator in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Refinery Operator in East Chicago, IN

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money..... only because they forced you to work 70-80 hours a week. Got a family? Not anymore!

Cons

Racist supervisors, the good ole boys clan, they treated you like dirt & if you stuck up for someone due to mistreating you will also be targeted. No life due to forced overtime. 401k is a joke right next to benefits.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat you employee's! Give back our pay & benefits you took away from us.

"prone to layoffs - dont trust them"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Richardson, TX

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made great friendships with those who would speak to me. If you know how to sweet talk you will go far in this company.

Cons

It was like working at high school. Layoffs every year!!! Don't believe the recruiters when they say its not possible. I was one of them. Poor benefits, no room to move up unless you are on the popular team.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. You lost some great people and will continue to.

"Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Finance in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - Finance in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are really good people who care about the job they do and are doing the best they can with what they are given.

Cons

This truly is the most toxic and dysfunctional environment I've ever worked. It's an environment that stifles creativity and does not foster innovation or new ideas. As a result, they are constantly reacting and not being proactive. You have various departments trying to cover themselves and blaming other departments when something goes wrong rather than accepting responsibility and working towards a solution. This all trickles from the top down. Leadership only wants to be told what they want to hear and as a result things keep running the same way despite serious red flags on compliance, health and safety & human resource issues. Employees are seen as a means to an end rather than valuable resources. This is shown in the cutting of 401K match, lack of raises and constant increase of health benefit costs.

Advice to Management

There is none since Leadership does not listen to their employees. Leadership is the problem because of the way they micromanage every aspect of the business and don't allow their employees to have meaningful input or manager their business.

"None"

Former Employee - Environmental Program Manager in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Environmental Program Manager in Evansville, IN

I worked at Clean Harbors (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, Zero, Not one PRO about this company.

Cons

Management lied about everything. Management never gave me help when I needed it. I reported safety problems at customer and management blamed me for the safety problems. I should have called OSHA. Management did NOT care about me or my safety. They cared how much revenuie that I brought in.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the management

"bad place to work"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Newark, CA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

safe place to work for

Cons

no pay raises, long hours, poor management, no training, no promotions

Advice to Management

listen to your employees

"Beware of Ageism and Disability Discrimination"

Former Employee - Field Service Specialist/Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Field Service Specialist/Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I met alot of good friends that I still have today.

Cons

This place waits to pounce on you the first sign of getting old, and having a few days off to take care of health. Years of service with this company do not matter, and first sign of you going to be old and decrepid, they will disintegrate you.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror, you are getting old too! Your older staff that has been there for many years has a few problems once in a while, and that is because they are human. Quit treating people like machines/equipment.

"Sinking ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors (More than 3 years)

Pros

There really isn't any i can think except for a few good co workers. But most of the good people left.

Cons

Little to no guidance and there is no room for growth. Also benifits are horrible. There is no communication at all.

Advice to Management

Promote a good work environment. Try training people and promoting within.