Clean Harbors Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Clean Harbors Chairman, President, and CEO Alan S. McKim
Alan S. McKim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good people and great place to work (in 17 reviews)

• Great people to work for, company enjoys to promote your after work environment (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management in the company needs to give the Buffalo branch manager the tools he needs to work with (in 29 reviews)

• Long hours, a bit crazy at times (in 22 reviews)

1. "Just say no"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time

Pros

None, none, none, none, none

Cons

Slow to hire, poor benefits, always late or slow with responses

Advice to Management

C

2. "Good pay, crazy work"

Pros

Great pay as long as you want to work for it.

Cons

Bad benefits, very clicky

3. "Not the worst out there"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large company, insurance and time off policy. One of the best Vacation/sick and personal day schedules out there. Decent pay, opportunities to advance, alot of training offered.

Cons

Large Company, They answer to the stock market. Employee's are numbers and nothing more, raises come every couple years, bonus program for managers gets taken away even when your division does good. downsizing happens every year, Very top loaded company more VP's than you can count. Middle management works alot of unpaid hours, staff reductions made but workload goes up with no pay increases. Eliminated 401K match

Advice to Management

Reduce the number of VP's that know very little of the day to day operations. Hiring process is to long, Managers need treated better, workload is pilled on and you take away any incentives they have to make more. Raises need to be more than every 3 or 4 years for employees who are performing.

4. "Good"

Pros

Good safety hours and coworkers

Cons

No hours are guaranteed

"Good career starter"

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time

Pros

You will gain a lot of valuable experience in environmental services through out a wide array of industries. If you are rasonably responsible and intelligent you can pretty quickly move up to an extent.

Cons

Benefits aren't great and the company is very stingy with pay and pay increases. Big corporate mindset leads to a huge disconnect between the people making the decisions and the people actually performing the work.

Advice to Management

Invest more into pay and benefits to incentivize workers to stick around longer.

6. "Good or bad"

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time

Pros

Easy Job and great pay for what I do

Cons

Very toxic environment, horrible benefits, they don’t listen to safety concerns

Advice to Management

Hire qualified managers from outside the company. instead promoting from within and continuing the cycle of a poor safety culture.

"Class a driver sparks Nevada"

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Sparks, NV

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working atmosphere great group of people my boss Mark was the best I’ve ever worked for easy to talk to and always fair. Always has your back as long as you’re doing your job and treat others with respect.

Cons

No 401k match, no pay increases for years,
    Corporates upper level management is against employee retention based on the fact that they are quick to discipline an employee over heresy and half truths and then issue written warnings without ever giving “me” the employee in question the opportunity to be heard. All this after reading another newsletter boasting how integrity’s is everything and the foundation of the company. So after 4 years of doing an excellent job for these guys I realized my best will never be enough for a company not willing to invest in their employees so I came in one day and quit.

Advice to Management

If corporate level management spent less time looking for faults with employees and instead tried finding ways to boost employee morale you would more than likely solve the issue of employee retention.
    “No disrespect intended just being honest”

8. "Project supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good hours
    Training
    Great company overall to work
    Can easily be a career

Cons

Local management is poor
    Do what is say not what I do
    They want you to work in the next position for a year or two before you receive the pay

Advice to Management

Treat people as you would want to be treated
    This isn't a temp agency
    Don't pay employees the bare minimum, then claim no raises but yet still received the year end bonus.

"Drivers Beware - Poor Benefits - High Turnover - Abusive Manangement - Better Jobs Out There"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Boston, MA

I have been working at Clean Harbors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with some dedicated staff but not enough of a positive to stay with company.

Cons

There are multiple cons to working for this company which is why I am looking for a new position. I clearly made a big mistake coming to CH about 2 years ago. HIGH TURNOVER - Turnover is at about 30% with another 30% of the drivers looking for a better job which is relatively easy to find. HORRIBLE MEDICAL - Medical benefits are very expensive with an extremely high deductible and getting worse every year. 401K - A complete joke. No company match and no retirement program. If you choose to work for this firm plan on a not so good retirement. TRAINING - Poorly run program which does not prepare employees to work in a potentially dangerous job. We complain but nothing changes. ABUSIVE MANAGEMENT - Starting with CEO and working on down through the company abusive management is the company culture. DO YOUR RESEARCH. Do not believe the recruiters. Compare a driver's job and benefits at this company with competitors of CH. You deserve better than what they have to offer. We have seen so many great people either leave or get fired because they tried to do the right thing. Turnover is high from senior management down to the entry level workers.

Advice to Management

Rather than fix a broken company you simply ramp up your recruitment efforts to make up for the high turnover. You are like a dog chasing its tail. You certainly don't view your employees as an asset.

"A disappointing place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwell, MA

I worked at Clean Harbors full-time

Pros

Some intelligent people work there

Cons

Culture is horrendous. No merit or cost of living adjustments. Company is always in cost cutting mode, this appears to be in order to finance acquisitions of smaller companies.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees.