KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Clean Harbors

Engaged Employer

Clean Harbors

Add a Review

Clean Harbors Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jul 21, 2021

Found 65 of over 1,292 reviews

3.3
Clean Harbors Chairman, President, and CEO Alan S. McKim
Alan S. McKim
Pros
  • "Benefits here at clean harbors are very good and you are very treated well here(in 63 reviews)

• "Great People working together for a great cause(in 59 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Being that Clean Harbors is such a large company, some may not feel as involved/engaged but can be overcome if you make an effort to be more engaged(in 72 reviews)

• "Some of the upper management can be very buddy buddy with workers(in 65 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Clean Harbors and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Wouldnt want to work anywhere else :)

May 17, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ive been here 21 years. The upper management I know and deal with from time to time have the greatest values and strive for happy employees and a strong company. Clean Harbors is forward thinking and believes in safety first. I truly Love my job and don't want to work anywhere else.

Cons

The amount of VP, EVP, SVP, Presidents - With employees fighting for raises, they see announcements of new upper management frequently (VPS, SVPS, EVPS) and its discouraging.

4 people found this review helpful

Clean Harbors Response

Thank you for sharing. We are glad to have you in the Clean Harbors family!

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

a straightforward place to work

Jul 14, 2021 - Chemist in Tacoma, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enough variety to keep you interested in the lab work. They create a nice structure to move up job titles and pay raises with it. Supportive management and now with the employee engagement survey it feels like you have real input to push back again poor management

Cons

Hard to use benefits when they create a lot of barriers to entry. Can be slow getting and keeping staff. Some of the upper management can be very buddy buddy with workers. Management has a hard time figuring out a system that is both fair and reasonable for people with a life outside of work. But these things are a common experience at most jobs so I can't say this bothers me all that much

Clean Harbors Response

We appreciate you taking the time to write up a review.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Position with Internal Support, not so great without

Jul 16, 2021 - Program Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunity to work in various environments with various people and materials. Real skill builder position. Allows you to work and grow independently. Success is based off of how hard you work.

Cons

Sink or swim position. You either do really well, or really poorly. If you get proper training you'll do well but the key word is IF. You will need to tell upper management when youre sinking or else no one will know. Requires a lot of communication on your part.

Clean Harbors Response

Thank you for the feedback. Training is very important. Please check out our Training Center to see all the training offerings.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee

Terrible work environment.

May 12, 2021 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, expansive enployee discounts, good amount of vacation

Cons

Upper management doesn't care at all, no work/life balance, local management was always disrespect to me.

Clean Harbors Response

Thank you for this post. We will take your comments and pass on to the appropriate personnel. Good luck in your new endeavor.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stifled and Forgotten

Jun 8, 2021 - Transportation Compliance Coordinator in Norwell, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is good, my particular department is wonderful, benefits right out the gate, well intentioned. You can feel positive about your jobs impact.

Cons

They claim they can't afford raises while pending what has to be (at least) in the upper hundreds of thousands in unnecessary building renovations. If you work on the field you will be worshipped as a god, if you work in home office you are a worthless pitiful thing. All acolades are awarded to top executives or those on the field. Internal communication is abysmal; I am constantly berated by field workers for things beyond my control. Regardless of how cruel they are, we are to handle them with kid gloves. They face no repercussions for harassing and insulting me on an almost daily basis. My manager seems to care, but they are stunted by upper management. I was passed over for a promotion (regardless of my years and seniority over the promoted individual) out of convenience during the pandemic, when that money would have mattered most. If you are not a boring white yes man, do not expect advancement internally. "Employee Assistance Program" that I contacted to assist with the mountains of anxiety and depression induced by an ever increasing workload is abysmal and unhelpful. I was first referred to their website better help, and after not meshing with my first Dr was told my "account was closed because they can't help me". The two therapists they got me never contacted me again. They can't even help solve the mental health problems they cause. Upper management completely out of touch. Being an individual is frowned upon. If youre an emotionless number, you will do well here.

Clean Harbors Response

Please immediately contact the suicide prevention hotline 800-273-8255 as suicide is never the answer. Do not give up hope. We have informed HR and Employee Engagement Team who will address these concerns. Thank you for sharing your pain and please get the support needed from the many avenues available; the hotline, HR and/or Employee Engagement.

6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Excellent co-workers/ Lousy upper management and HR

Jul 8, 2021 - Territory Manager in Las Vegas, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers are like family and look out for your safety. Also, excellent training courses.

Cons

Upper management doesn’t support staff. Slow on compensation and commission. Absolutely no upper mobility unless you are part of a select group or the CEO’s son. HR does not keep employee reports confidential so there is no way to report work abuse ( Hello EOC). Also, management lacks diversity.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Do not recommend

Jul 21, 2021 - Field Service Technician
      Business Outlook

Pros

Travel, experience, networking and that’s all

Cons

Poor work/life balance, benefits pricey, had to use vacation and sick time to make full work weeks at times, upper management seems clueless on how each branch works, racist coworkers

Clean Harbors Response

Thank you for your review. Good luck in your next steps.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A large company with its ups and downs

May 15, 2021 - Administrative Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Stable job, decent benefits, semi-flexible schedule.

Cons

Upper management is very detached from day-to-day operations. As a large company any change is slow moving.

Clean Harbors Response

Thank you for your post. All the positives you mentioned are what makes CH a great place to work. As with every large corporations, there are ups and downs. Our leadership team is committed to the growth and success of the company.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Bad management

Jan 17, 2021 - Supervisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

It pays a weekly check.

Cons

The upper management lacks integrity.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Happy to work here

May 4, 2020 - Facilities Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people, great working environment

Cons

No raises, no bonuses given to the workers. If it wasn't for the workers upper management wouldn't get the bonuses.

Clean Harbors Response

Thank you for sharing....we do have amazing people who work here! Undercover Boss was so special for Mr. McKim and all of us. Wait to you see what our team does next.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 65 Reviews