Clear Channel Outdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Clear Channel Outdoor Reviews

Updated Oct 10, 2019

Found 238 reviews

3.2
Clear Channel Outdoor CEO Scott Wells  (no image)
Scott Wells
Pros
  • "Depending on the market, the work environment can be tight-knit and great for networking(in 10 reviews)

• "Great people, wonderful mentors that care about your upward mobility(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "upper management didn't realize what it had until people quit(in 15 reviews)

• "Low pay, high turnover zero employee incentives,(in 8 reviews)

1. "Welcome To CCO!"

Current Employee - Photographer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Clear Channel Outdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Clear Channel has already been by far one of the most exciting opportunities in my working career as a photographer. The entire staff welcomed me to the team with open arms bearing knowledge, and information to drive my passion for photography forward in order to strengthen my skills as an outdoor photographer. I am most grateful for the peers in my department, as they have been most supportive at catching me up to... speed to perform my working task at the height of my ability. The environment is very positive and professional, I am very grateful to be apart such a prominent corporation. I would recommend this company to any aspiring individual with a positive attitude to succeed.

Cons

The only downside, I could imagine is the fact that I wasn't able to apply sooner!

Advice to Management

Thank you kindly for such an invigorating entry interview. I appreciate the time & effort spent in choosing to invest in my future as a Clear Channel employee.

Clear Channel Outdoor2019-10-10
  2. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Clear Channel Outdoor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Many rewarding and challenging opportunities if you are willing to work hard and learn. The company is forward-thinking and invests in cutting edge, technological upgrades enabling us to compete with the best in media. This is a exciting time in the Outdoor industry and Clear Channel has positioned us in a great place to capitalize on it.

Cons

Sales is rewarding, but not easy. Don’t expect it to be handed to you. Be willing to work and earn you’re way.

Advice to Management

Continue to believe in and invest in your people. We, the often quiet majority, do recognize and appreciate it.

Clear Channel Outdoor2019-08-23
  3. "To many chiefs that forget what it's like in the field"

Former Employee - Maintenance Labor and Swing Man to Other Departments in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Clear Channel Outdoor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great vacation time 2 weeks vacation and 6 sick days after your 90 days and one more week at your 5th year and one more week at your 10th year for a total of 4 weeks vacation if you are their for ten years . Some of the work is easy at times. Lots of company functions. Lots of company lunches and special days like dog days and dress casual day and lots of other fun things. Mostly good people to work with. But you... always have your slackers. Good camaraderie with supervisors.

Cons

Management on both sides of operations and the management in the sales side do zero communication in between managers to make things flow smoothly between each department. It's like each department is afraid to ask if we change this part it will help the other part but everyone is afraid to speak up and try to make things better and easier for everyone full circle. Operations managers forget what it's like in the... field. their favoritism towards certain people in their department they will get the easy work and are never expected to work or help out in other departments. The more you know how to do the more work you have to do while the other guys who know nothing get to do nothing and for you knowing how to do everything you get zero compensation for your knowledge and you are expected to work harder cause you know more. Management or who ever gives raise thinks everyone deserves a raise. They don't give you raises based on how well you work or do your job and how much you know how to do they give everyone a raise equal and that seems to be the same for end of the year bonuses to. Certain departments with certain people are not expected to help out or cross train when other departments that are short handed. They have this speed to market which is a joke cause they expect the rotation and bill posters to put up all the work for that week in the first 3 days so sometimes you will have 20 signs to put up for three days straight and then the other two days there is no work. You think they would spread it out and not kill their guy's the first three days. And the ae's and the person who enters the work that has to be scheduled to go up into the computer communicate zero with the operations side. this causes you to go to the same sign two times in two days in a row instead of putting up both sides the same day and they will have you drive a hundred miles to the same county to put up one sign then the next day do the same thing and do the same thing again for three days straight instead of working together and communicating between departments and gather all the signs that go to one county and go to that county one time in that week and then the company could save on gass hourly pay wear and tear on the trucks. That would be the smart way but that's Not the Clearchannel way they complain about having to buy paint or buy tires for trucks but they don't mind wasting time and money driving back and forth to the same signs every other day or driving a hundred miles out of the way three different times in one week. There is pretty much zero room for advancement. It seems when someone retires that was in a manegment position. They don't refill that position they just pass off that position to a different manager and doubles their work load and they don't compensate us for taking on more work. If you want to learn how to do a mangers job cause you are next in line hopefully for that position it's like pulling teeth for them to let you cross train and better yourself and be a better asset for the company. That's the way you think they would look at it but it seems they would rather keep you in that same position for the rest of your life. No one is ever accountable for their screw ups. It's seems once you mess a job up you never have to do that job again. Then you end up getting the easy work and basically get payed to do nothing all day cause you can't be trusted to do your job correctly. Then all that work they get out of gets passed to the people that know how to do the work and those are the people who get payed less than the guys that screw up and don't know how to do the job. Seems really fair. The new pay scale for rotators and Bill posters sucks and they are loosing money no body likes it. They want the work done now but yet they took all the incentive and motivation away from them. when they changed are pay scale.

Advice to Management

Take time and spend more than a few mins with each of your guys. go out and work with each employee and see how they work and see what they can do and how safe they work. It seems that every manager pass that off the the next guy in charge. How hard is it to go out a few times a year and see how each of your employees work and spend a hour or so with them and work with them. Stuff like that goes a long way. It shows... that you care it shows you haven't forgotten what it's like sweating in the field it shows that you are interested in the quality of the work they are putting out. Everyone should be able to do everyone else job. You should allow everyone to cross train at least one position up from their current position. Pay your top guys what they are worth. sit back and look at everyone see who goes out of their way to empty that full garbage can or see what guy will stop what he's doing to help someone else lift something heavy with having to be asked. Those are the things that go unnoticed and those are the little things that make a great employee. Management gets stuck in their world and the guys in the back just want to see that there is hope to move up or that you care. Give that guy that you know is one of your best workers the easy job for the day. Management has to stop rewarding the slackers with easy work. Show the slackers that if you are a hard worker management will throw you a bone. Pay your guys what they are worth. And when your employees really need something to make there job easier it shouldn't take forever to get what they are asking for. Stand up for your guys. Show them off to the sales people and the gm. Remember it's how you say it not what you say to your guys. You can have a crap subject to talk about and correct with your guys. Remember you will get further with them if you remember it's not what you say it's how you say it. Manager's need to pay attention to the guys on the front line climbing and pay attention to your guys that you know have a good opportunity to move up and encourage them help them take them under your wing help them move up and better their selfs. It always seems management forgets what it was like. Try to remember and think about the next guy that wants to be the next ops manager or supervisor. Think about what you had to do to get where you are and try to help them along and maybe make it a Little bit easier or give them helpful hints on what to do or not to do

Clear Channel Outdoor2019-09-05
  4. "Favoritism, misogyny, micromanagement and zero employee perks"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Laurel, MD

I worked at Clear Channel Outdoor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I’m pressed to think of any

Cons

Low pay, high turnover zero employee incentives,

Advice to Management

Management at the branch level is the problem. Zero female senior leadership in the entire northeast region.

Clear Channel Outdoor2019-09-05

"Clear Channel Airports in Allentown is a joke!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Allentown, PA

I worked at Clear Channel Outdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being able to travel on their dime and work with some cool people are the only pros to working for this company. Those that say otherwise are probably lifers who are set or management trying to make things appear better than they are.

Cons

Where do I start. 1. Very low base salary 2. Low commissions and commission payouts are paid out over the term of the contract. Example: you sell a 3 year contract with a total value of $50k. Paid at 5%= $2500 commission, but they then divide that by 36 months, so you're paid $69.44 per month over the course of 3 years! 3. If you sell a contract that was paid in full by the client they still pay your commission... on a monthly basis based on the contract term instead of in full, as they were paid. 4 Absolutely no sales incentives. 5. Airport markets are small, which means price points and commissions are small 6. Benefits are sub par 7. Management is a joke. They have got to be the most uninformed group of people ever. They have been with the company so long and without outside leadership training that they have no idea of how to do anything as it relates to their HCM. Simple things such as proper communication, being HR savvy, being open to new ideas and ways of doing things, etc. 8. Training is a joke. There is no coaching, developing, mentoring, etc. They show you their antiquated systems/processes, give you a laptop and phone and leave you to your own devices. Your set up for failure, especially for those with no sales experience. They don't offer assistance if you dont ask. But of course they expect you to bring in business 9. No documented policy and procedures. Probably because they have no HR dept. 10. Their stock price says it all. 11. They're cash strapped and it shows

Advice to Management

Invest in your sales team with a better comp plan, commission structure, incentives and In your management team. Leadership development is a must! Be open to new ideas instead of staying with the same status quo of 20-30 years ago. Give people a reason to want to stay.

Clear Channel Outdoor2019-08-25

"If you like no accountability this job if for you"

I worked at Clear Channel Outdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some people are genuine and good

Cons

The company as a whole has a horrible reputation and deservedly so. There aren't any opportunities for advancement. There are pay disparities with those that are lifers and those who are new. The benefits package is a joke. To top it off this company has a culture of racism and sexism. People are open about their beliefs and aren't afraid to make them known. The HR staff might as well not exist. Avoid this place

Advice to Management

Start from scratch

Clear Channel Outdoor2019-08-23

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - RE Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Clear Channel Outdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

Clear Channel Outdoor2019-07-15

"NOT A GOOD PLACE FOR YOUNG TALENT"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Clear Channel Outdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Provides basic understanding of out of home ad industry...thats about it.

Cons

Were do I start.... -outdated culture, outdated technology, outdated office, outdated everything -management is not privvy to concerns of sales team assistants -does not provide adequate training to AE sales team which results of low revenue for market -because they do not provide training, sales assistants are required to know a bevy of knowledge & technology that AE's should know...but dont -low... commission rate = recruitment of sub par sales team that are difficult to work with -Management/HR are negligent to sexism/racism complaints throughout multiple deparments -no advancement for Sales Assistants unless you want to become AE

Advice to Management

adapt current technology and office culture. Theres no reason AE's shouldnt know how to use excel and powerpoint, yet the assistants do. How are we not able to draft contracts on an tablet. Why is our inventory program set in MS-DOS??!!!

Clear Channel Outdoor2019-08-19

"great teamwork environment but company is too top heavy with executives"

Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Clear Channel Outdoor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-collaborative work environment -good work life balance

Cons

-too many vice presidents -pay was not on par with other companies

Clear Channel Outdoor2019-06-04
  10. "Chartist"

Current Employee - Chartist in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Clear Channel Outdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

i wish to say nothing at this time

Clear Channel Outdoor2019-05-16