Clear Channel Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Clear Channel CEO Bob Pittman
Bob Pittman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work environment especially for a contractor bouncing from job to job (in 20 reviews)

• Great company with great people (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are horrible, No room to "grow" within the company (in 12 reviews)

• They don't want to make anyone full-time because they don't want to pay anyone benefits if they don't have to (in 10 reviews)

"Depends what you're looking for"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Perks. Concert tickets, event tickets, company happy hours after sales contests, etc. Opportunity to meet some awesome people on the sales team but its a revolving door so it's easy to feel like it's not worth getting to know someone until they've been there a while. However, if you're great at sales and have a lot of contacts in your area then you can do really great.

Cons

Some truly terrible managers. Will mess around with your commissions just because they can (which is terrifying because it's commission only pay).

Advice to Management

Be upfront and honest. Don't act like you're a family member that's looking out for someone. And stop wasting time with meetings that don't include training.

"Broadcaster"

Former Employee - Anchor in Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - Anchor in Aventura, FL

I worked at Clear Channel (More than a year)

Pros

The building was a nice place

Cons

Low pay. Poor management. That's all

"Director of IT"

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Before the company went public there were many pros. Among that was there were staffs in each department instead of the department head being the entire department (except sales).

Cons

As the business progressed the headcount was reduced in many departments and pay raises were frozen and bonuses not awarded. There were department heads covering more than one city with no support staff.

Advice to Management

A healthy tree needs a root system and reducing headcount in the technical staffing for a technical company is tantamount to cutting out the roots of a tree.

4. "Could have been much better"

I worked at Clear Channel full-time

Pros

The office wasn't far from my house and there was plenty of free parking. Sometimes they bought us pizza.

Cons

The company was over leveraged as a result of private equity buying the company at the peak of the market. As a result they cut senior management to the point that they were ineffective. I couldn't get my boss to return my phone calls or e-mails. I felt bad for him because obviously his work load was too much.

Advice to Management

When you eliminate positions the work doesn't go away. Adding more responsibility and work load to the remaining employees without any increase in pay hurts morale and leads to a lower quality work product and employee turnover.

"Board Operator"

Former Employee - Board Operator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Board Operator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Clear Channel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

State of the art equipment. Employee fitness center in building.

Cons

Company absolutely refused to promote me even though colleagues told me I was doing a great job. They seem to view all board operators as identical, not realizing some are better than others.

Advice to Management

Reward good work. Give operators a reason not to seek employment elsewhere.

"Worst Company Ever"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dayton, OH

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Obviously, the pros are limited to the obvious....perks of working for a radio station (prizes and tickets for events and such)

Cons

Though I had a media background, I very much felt like a number. Radio is a tough business and working for Clear Channel in Dayton, Ohio is certainly no different. The stress level is through the roof from the top station management, through the sales department and of course, it trickles down to administrative staff who are helping complete reports, etc.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure any advice I can give to corporate would be helpful, I'm sure they aren't sitting around reading reviews on Glassdoor.com. Local station management needs to evaluate their personal management style to encourage staff and be approachable, even in times of stress. Stressed out management makes for miserable, stressed out staff.

"Clear Channel"

Pros

Conservative organization with structure. Reliable income with a stable, good media portfolio to sell.

Cons

Conservative / old school culture. Change commission structure periodically.

8. "Free interns is an outdated concept"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Clear Channel as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office, fun employees, flexible working hours, few responsibilities (meaning you're not going to mess anything up royally). Interacting with radio personalities and musicians, free studio concerts.

Cons

It was an unpaid internship and not many daily tasks to take leadership on. Frequently had to ask "do you have anything else for me to do today?..."

Advice to Management

Have a clear outline of items you want the intern to take care of each day and provide a bit more training. Though it was a cool experience, I had no sense that a job would come of it and that was true. If structured correctly, internships can serve as a recruitment source and should be treated as such.

9. "wasn't a big fan"

Former Employee - Web Team in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Web Team in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Clear Channel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. (Mostly) great people. Occasional tickets to concerts and free lunches. The work was fairly simple and straight forward.

Cons

Pay was below average. The cost of benefits kept going up. Manager wasn't knowledgeable about what they were really doing, was a hardcore micromanager and would talk down to employees constantly.

Advice to Management

Hire managers for this position who have experience in all things web.

"Glad I'm Gone"

Former Employee - IT Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

- Always working always busy
    - New technology welcomed

Cons

- Place was more like a cult than a team

Advice to Management

Too many egos not enough leadership