ClearSlide Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

Engineering

3.2
Dustin Grosse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The people and team I work with are intelligent, hard-working, driven individuals (in 15 reviews)

• Excellent work life balance- Like I said before, I was never asked to work 10 hours a day (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The sales team is starting to see their reps with actual experience leave for other companies now that they're figuring out they're all way underpaid (in 7 reviews)

• Definitely not for the faint of heart (in 4 reviews)

"This is a perfect company for you if you are not super ambitious."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In the past 2 and half years, things are moving toward good directions. I see great chances here for company goals, product, and code base.
    Managers are transparent, they listen to your thoughts and ideas.
    Work/Life Balance is great if you are smart and experienced.
    Salary may get raised twice per year after the sales team did a great job.

Cons

There is only free lunch by the end of the month.

Advice to Management

N/A

"nincompoops are welcome!!"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide (More than a year)

Pros

hardly any... i'd have given some points for the kitchen but then again every second company in the valley has snacks... good views but sadly engineers don't get to enjoy them as they sit on the other side of the building....

Cons

everything is a con... it's a con show being run by con artists who don't even disclose there quarterly numbers... no scope of growth and worst of all upper management encourages snitching to them rather than discussing problems with your immediate managers (p.s. read rebuttals by the head of HR on glassdoor)... my last hopes hinge on a this company being sold to some private equity firm (it has nothing proprietary to be sold to a tech giant )... I just need to get the money I deserve for taking the risk of working here...

Advice to Management

please sell the company and get out of our sight

"A Fresh Perspective from a New Hire"

Current Employee - Client Services Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Services Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just to preface this, I have been working for ClearSlide for about 1 month and honestly I feel that all the negative reviews being posted here are from a different time period and don't reflect the ClearSlide of today.

My observations thus far:
    1. I have never been asked to work 10 hours a day.
    2. Being proactive with your own career is how you promote career growth here.
    3. Leadership is pushing for the company to be profitable. Can't say that for most investment reliant tech startups can you?

So on with the PROs:
    -Very nice and helpful people- I've never had problems getting information. I have multiple avenues of contact with every team within the company. Despite being on a bit of an island in from the SF office in NYC, I still feel connected and can get resources whenever I need them (after 11:30am EST of course).
    -You are heard- When I find issues in the platform and report them, I always get feedback. I have found a few bugs or non-intuitive functionality within the platform within the month I have been here and the dev team is already actively working to fix all of them.
    -Excellent work life balance- Like I said before, I was never asked to work 10 hours a day.
    -Unlimited PTO
    -Free food- and lots of it!

I have many more pros I could list but I'll just keep it short.

Cons

Cons-
    -No matching 401k yet
    -NYC office is much quieter. SF office is more lively and fun at the cost of productivity(compared to NYC at least). Not entirely a con I guess.

Can't think of any more cons. Will update if any.

Advice to Management

I don't think I've been here long enough to say much about management.

I'll update this later.

"Can't find engineers so lets hire some VP's and directors!!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide (More than a year)

Pros

1) good engineering team (but the good engineers are quitting on a daily basis)

Cons

1) exempt developers are being asked to work for 10+ hours even when they have delivered their sprints on time everytime.

2) they are hiring any random engineer cause they can't find good engineers

3) good engineers who provide last hopes to this company are jumping off the ship on a daily basis

4) organization is becoming extremely top heavy where there are more manager than individual contributors. only people who have been hired in the past 6 months are directors and vp's with random or no responsibilities.

5) the companys growth has been declining since last past 4 quarters and they miss there quaterly targets by more than 10% quarter over quarter.

Advice to Management

stop the nepotism and stop hiring your brothers and sisters on meaty positions.

you have fired the original cofounder and are now busy looting and plundering all that he created.

ClearSlide Response

May 23, 2016

As the HR Leader at ClearSlide, I welcome the feedback from current (and former) employees. What’s particularly surprising from a current staff member is how inaccurate this post is at representing... More

"Where engineering hygene goes to die"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- the appearance of a legitimate product, business, and engineering firm
    - kegbot!
    - great office location
    - a legitimate attempt at creating an attractive work environment for engineers
    - a handful of excellent managers/engineers

Cons

- the frightening reality of a dysfunctional engineering team where trust is non-existent, meetings are abundant, and nobody gets hired into the "director/veep club" unless they were friends with the founder in college, or they're the hand-wavey ex-Microsoft types
    - testing is frighteningly manual, if existent at all (core code is mostly uncovered)
    - operations is always an afterthought
    - accumulating large gobs of tech debt is a daily occurrence
    - production deployment time was reduced from weeks to days and languishes there
    - no rhyme or reason to interviewing practices; they seem to turn away or hire people completely arbitrarily
    - very hands-off, old school "need to know basis" management

Advice to Management

Replace yourselves with management that has made a career out of driving SaaS product success via good engineering hygene, not via "high profile director/vp hires."

ClearSlide Response

May 23, 2016

It’s helpful to see feedback, even if it’s tough feedback from former employees. What’s been exciting for me as a former Microsoft finance and operations executive, is the level of commitment I’ve... More

"Promising Product undermined by poor management and politics"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome central location in Downtown SF. Great camaraderie amongst peers and colleagues. Good office break room perks. Promising space and the product delivers a lot of great sales insight and has a lot of use case potential. Market competitive salary.

Cons

The upper management has continued to undermine productivity and morale in a multitude of ways, with poor optics and no sense of perception. The first and most obvious being painting over our old company mottos during business hours. Another prime example being the "10 hours/sense of urgency" email sent a few months prior that many in their GlassDoor reviews have spoken of. Everyone working at a startup already understands that there should be sense of urgency, but by putting a hard number in a department-wide email, you pushed many who value work/life balance out the door, and demoralized those already putting in way more than 10 hours a day. This policy came direct from the CEO and when confronted by media denied it altogether and threw the VP of Engineering under the bus.

Another example of terrible optics is a C-level staff shakeup that occurred few months back and "pressing the reset button" layoff was followed 48 hours later with a round of champagne and open-mic toasts to "here's to a fresh start." The company just forced out both co-founders and 15% of the company...what are we toasting exactly? How is this even remotely appropriate given the circumstances of some of my fellow colleagues who just lost their jobs?

Anecdotal conversations with many current and former employees after my departure also uncovered that little to no raises were given to many team members despite years of tenure, and advancement opportunities were scarce. Empire building is rampant and politics rules the day.

Advice to Management

At what point during this mass exodus of employees will you look introspectively at what makes people excited to work for you? Come forward and speak plainly about your pas mistakes, and how you plan to rectify them. No one is enjoying their jobs anymore.

"too volatile environment"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

product is good and engineering organization is great

Cons

sales organization and leadership team is really bad at their work

"Despite missed opportunities still has huge potential"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a great core product. My coworkers were among the best I've ever worked with. Recent management changes will enable the company to reach its potential.

Cons

CS is the ultimate dog-food company. The employees know what is needed, but the management did not listen. There were product improvements badly needed and in huge demand for YEARS that went unaddressed.

For an engineering hackathon two years ago the engineers developed some great features that customers really wanted , and yet these were never incorporated into the product.

Often new features that customers had not asked for were approved and quickly developed, but then never enhanced. Lack of needed improvements along with half-done features left the product with a mediocre feel.

Advice to Management

Do fewer features but do them really well. Do the features your customers are asking for.

Decrease your turnover! You have amazing employees. You will not find better ones if they leave. The problems at CS are not because of your employees. They are due to bad management decisions, and even management knows this.

Listen to your customers. Since CS is a sales tool, listen to your sales people. They are also the customers who know your product best including its good points and deficiencies. And they truly care about making it better.

Advice to the new CEO. Get down to the engineering floor. They barely know who you are.

Advice to employees. Hold on. Things are about to get a lot better.

"Had a lot of potential, now the company is imploding"

Former Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some great people that I worked with at ClearSlide. There was strong engagement from the founders and the rest of the Exec team. Sadly, things took a strong turn for the worse when ClearSlide started bringing in execs and directors from much larger outside companies, and allowing them to drive day to day decisions. Benefits and salary were great, at least early on when the founders were doing the hiring and decision making.

Cons

Very little chance for advancement, many folks went 2-3 years without a promotion or salary increase. Instead, outsiders were brought in to fill all available leadership opportunities. All of the culture and cameraderie we had built up, which allowed us to thrive under adversity was discarded, and many highly skilled folks saw the writing on the wall and decided to leave. Rather than allowing for rehiring of strong talent, the founders were blamed and pushed aside, and it's obvious now that the current leadership is just looking to pump the company up and sell.

Advice to Management

No idea how this could be fixed at this point, but an attempt to bring back the strong culture and feeling of working together toward a common goal would help greatly. Or, pump it up and sell so that someone else can make use of the great technology we built and it doesn't all get thrown away.

"Best experience so far"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time

Pros

There are lots of opportunities in the engineering team to learn and build a great product. The people here, generally, are very enthusiastic and passionate about what they work on. ClearSlide hasn't lost its awesome start up culture and it has a huge potential to grow.

Cons

Due to start up nature of the company, things change pretty fast here. This adventure could be too overwhelming for some.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on taking required measures to improve growth and to outsmart the competition.