ClearSlide Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dustin Grosse

Pros
  • The people and team I work with are intelligent, hard-working, driven individuals (in 15 reviews)

• Excellent work life balance- Like I said before, I was never asked to work 10 hours a day (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The sales team is starting to see their reps with actual experience leave for other companies now that they're figuring out they're all way underpaid (in 7 reviews)

• Definitely not for the faint of heart (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Company with Great Momentum"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ClearSlide ION - awesome new release
    Cool career experiences - great exposure and collaboration with various departments
    Company at the top of new, growing Market category
    Amazing people who work hard and have fun

Cons

Rapid pace with changes that don't work for everyone
    Empowered to drive projects but could use more coaching sometimes from managers (who are also busy)

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on

"Already great now, will be a career maker in the future"

Current Employee - EAE in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - EAE in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great people- on all teams. Very energetic, enthusiastic. You've got to be a hard worker, but as long as you put in the effort, you'll be embraced and supported by the entire org.

Product- Amazing, especially if you're in sales. Huge wow factor from DMs and users alike. Very robust, always works, and works well. Incredibly easy to get behind!

Market- Hot. It's still a heavy prospecting business, so you'll have to do the legwork- but once you get a small team using the platform, it spreads virally. I've been through several startups, and its so nice to know there is actually demand in the market place for the product. This is how you want to be selling.

Company- Leadership is strong. Very driven, high energy, and thorough. Proven track records. Office location is amazing, can't beat the views. Great financial stability- just took in series A last year. Sky is the limit, and the equity packages are strong. Solid long term possibilities.

Cons

While its mostly a pro, ClearSlide is a paperless office- no printer in sight! Can't rely on the office to print concert tix, directions, etc.

Advice to Management

Full speed ahead- keep at it on product+ sales, and remember to throw in some fun off-site events here and there.

"This is what being at a startup should be like."

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ideas are listened to and more than often actioned. I've worked in lots of environments where technology suggestions have been ignored, often due to internal politics and infighting. Those attributes seem to be non-existent, which is in part due to the emphasis of screening candidates for cultural fit and keeping the Corporate Zombies out of here. In that respect it's a techie's heaven.
    The team works together to make Clearslide successful, which is no doubt why the company is experiencing strong revenue growth.
    High energy team, work hard play hard attitude. No bullying and finger pointing.
    Profile is increasing at a strong rate, I'll be having a beer talking to some random, they say "Hey I know Clearslide. I .....". First startup in 5 years that I've worked at where that frequently happens.
    We don't do meetings.

Cons

Emphasis on healthy snacks. Where is my junk food?
    Ears pop in the elevator getting up here.
    Not allowed to bring bikes into the office, have to lock it up in the garage.

"The Future is Clear"

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ClearSlide has nothing but a bright future in my opinion. The product is developed and continuing to expand. The culture is professional, yet we have fun on a daily basis. The opportunity for ClearSlide to go HUGE is there. I can't wait to look back in a year and think about the impact I have had on the success here.

Cons

Unfortunately you do have to work hard. The brand name isn't out there to the world so as a sales person, you do have to work to achieve. If you're use to just working your "rolodex" maybe it's not the best company for you today. I do see the company making strides and improving the brand recognition.

Advice to Management

Focus on training for the younger/less experienced AE's, give clear and obtainable expectations, and it will help promote people from within.

"Great Company for Go-Getters, not the faint of heart"

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the negative reviews here are from terrible sales reps who lack the ability to hit their numbers and will look anywhere besides themselves as the cause of their lack of success. ClearSlide is a young, hungry, growing corporation that provides a healthy, fun working environment. They listen to their people and improve the company with feedback from even their lowest employees. Although I can't speak for anyone but salespeople, the pay structures and OTEs are attainable and in-line with most of the typical tech organizations around. As a sales professional, nothing is better than selling to other salespeople and I have seen firsthand just how awesome the product is at helping people sell better. Great location, awesome and open company culture, really cool and accessible management and founders.

Cons

As you see mentioned repeatedly, a solid training program is an issue; particularly for the young sales people they hire. If you are hungry and seek out development rather than wait for it to be handed out to you, you can learn a lot, but you have to be a go-getter rather than most of the people reviewing here who want to be hand-held. If you're going to choose to hire younger reps, you need to have better training programs starting day one. Also, recruiting here is atrocious. It now seems to be improving, but the lack of talent being brought into the organization is deplorable. Lastly, more structure is needed. Directors have too much workload and more sales managers or team less need to be installed allowing for smaller, more manageable teams.

Advice to Management

Focus on acquiring better talent and take a serious look at the quality of your recruitment staff. Promote more people internally to team leads at least. Lastly, make a more comprehensive training program one of your top priorities. Other than that, keep rocking and rolling. I love it here!

"Great team, solid training, lots of opportunity"

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ClearSlide is a fun but professional start-up in super growth mode. I've just started in sales and am already loving the opportunity. It's rare that the all stars align in any sales role - getting to sell a great product with a big edge on the competition, to a market that is actually interested, training to support you, solid sales leadership and the opportunity to rake it in if you work hard.

Cons

Haven't seen an downside so far - you have to work hard to be a top performer but that's to be expected!

Advice to Management

Keep sharing information and news throughout the company - we're growing so fast it's difficult to keep up with all the change and news.

"So far so good!"

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stellar training program. First few weeks are super intense, but in a good way. They have invested a great deal of time and energy into training. Word is that the CEO and senior level execs took prior Glassdoor reviews with harsh critiques of the company seriously, which prompted them to initiate an entire training program that is led by prior top performers in the company. You won't hit the sales floor until your product knowledge is bullet proof, which means you have to pass both written and verbal certifications on the product before you can move to the sales floor.

Management and the product team listens to feedback from employees and customers. Product team integrates feedback to make refinements and new functionality to the product. The entire company is very data-driven, primarily because the product itself has a backend analytics component to it.

The entire company from sales reps to customer service/adoption specialists use the product in almost all customer interactions because it really does help people sell better. It's cool to work at a company that practices what it preaches by having everyone use the tool for all external facing communication.

There is a great deal of autonomy on the sales floor and it's unique to find that ClearSlide's sales culture is one of supporting one another, rather than competing with one another. I was really concerned about this specific issue prior to accepting my offer, but after initiating a few conversations with other sales managers and AEs, it turned out that everyone was really open and transparent about sharing best practices. Cool cultural thing: a bell is rung and everyone claps every time someone hits goal. If you're a rep, it will definitely be a positive eye-opening experience to see how much collaboration, sharing, and friendly work happens internally here.

Everyone in every department is always willing to help and provide feedback. The company is expanding quickly. In the past 6 months there have been two major acquisitions: SlideRocket & Crunched. The executive team and other key managers are doing their best to be intentional about how the company grows. They recognize the importance of having great leaders in place who know not only what to do, but how to do it so that the company still retains its hard-working, open, transparent, and collaborative culture.

BTW - If you have any doubts about joining the ClearSlide team because of previous Glassdoor reviews, make sure to ask lots of questions during the interview process. Don't be afraid - if you don't ask and reach out, you won't ever know! In fact, it's your responsibility to ask if you don't know or feel unsure about something! Better to be armed with information than to accept an offer or turn down an interview with an assumption that may or may not be true.

A note about work-life balance: for the first few weeks of training, you won't really have a life outside of studying to pass certifications you need before they'll let you work on the sales floor. This really is for your own good (so I've found) because the people who fail are the ones who don't know the product inside and out.

There are some great fitness perks as well: pilates & yoga each one day a week; boot camp twice a week. It's probably safe to say the company prioritizes the healthiness of everyone here: the refrigerator is always stocked with sparkling water and juice rather than soda. Also, the pantry is stuffed full of trail mix, nuts, pretzels, and fruit rather than candy and corn chips. At the end of the month, lunch is usually catered in as well.

Overall, my experience has been fantastic working here. This company is definitely poised for long-term growth. I love working hard, but ClearSlide is the first place where the bar is set so high that I'm having to go above and beyond by working smarter to really stand out. It's an awesome feeling if you want to challenge yourself. And the views -- the views are AMAZING! Reminds me every day why I love working in San Francisco.

Cons

The bar is set super high during the first few weeks of training. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Sometimes managers say that ClearSlide prioritizes a culture of feedback, but there are some managers who like to dish feedback but not hear it in return. However, this really is few and far between.

Like most jobs, it really depends on the manager you're working under and the team you'll be working with. If you don't think you'll be compatible with any of the people interviewing you or you don't mesh with the culture or other people in the company during your interactions here, listen to your gut. Otherwise, if you're willing to do the work, ask for help, and not complain when things get tough, you'll do well here.

Advice to Management

Thank you for listening to all the feedback from us as employees. Continue to focus on adapting ClearSlide for the post-PC era (read: mobile devices) because that's the only way the company will stay competitive in the long-term. Also, continue investing in training and retention. The company will grow faster and retain its amazing culture if you do. Finally, check in with the team to give a State of the Union more often, especially as we continue to grow. This helps us all feel motivated about where we're going as a company and motivates us to work harder and smarter to get there.

"Awesome People and Awesome Product Awesome to Sell"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone who works there want to be there. People are confident in the product and the future of the company and that makes it easier to sell. Management is hands on and willing to take the time to coach and help close which doesn't happen at most companies.

Cons

Right now we are spilt in 2 different buildings until they can find an office space to accomodate all of us and it would be nice to be back all under one roof

Advice to Management

Even more coaching and sales focused training sessions would be beneficial to more junior employee

"Not for everyone, but I've had a blast"

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great office locations
    -Impressive senior leadership team
    -Really, really good work parties (rented part of Giants stadium for xmas party 2012)
    -Recognition and rewards for top performers
    -Continual improvements based off employee feedback
    -Hours, in at 8am out at 5pm
    -Cool people (yea some frat and bro stuff, but I was never in a frat and don't consider myself a bro and get along with pretty much everyone)
    -Fun spiffs/contests/prizes and team outings relatively often
    -Still small enough that your work can make a noticeable impact

Here's what you need to know about ClearSlide. This is not an easy job, any job at ClearSlide is not easy. But that's kind of what makes it rewarding. You come work here to gain skill-sets you didn't have before or improve on ones you have. You figure out how to overcome difficult challenges and you develop yourself even more. If you're looking for a job that you can just sit back and collect a paycheck without putting in hard work this place is not for you. Everyone I know that likes working at ClearSlide (which there are a lot of, this board leads you to believe there aren't) is super positive, self-motivated, hard working, and knows how to get things done.

Cons

-Starting to get bureaucratic, things take longer than they should
    -Communication barriers. Company is split between three offices. It's difficult to communicate change and new processes to everyone.
    -Dress code. Not terrible, but could be better.
    -Pay, while ok, could be better
    -Product updates. I guess this ties back to communication, but need to do a better job communicating updates to the platform to both employees and customers.

Advice to Management

A lot of the negativity seems to stem from sales teams. Work on developing processes that are bullet proof and back them up. Pay more attention to what your customers need to be successful with the product as opposed to what we need. Other than that keep up the fun events and parties, hold more company meetings (but make them shorter, please), and keep recognizing top performers.

"Focused, Determined, and Willing to Succeed"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro that you need to know if you are considering a career in sales is that you will learn from some of the hardest working franchise players in the Bay Area. If you want to play ping pong all day there is a really cool table tennis spot in North Beach called AMDT PING PONG. I believe they even sell Ben and Jerry's.

Sales people show up everyday, with hard working, honest intentions. Helmets are on in an effort to maximize customer interaction whether it is from a support or sales perspective-connectivity is trending.

Cons

The role was not a specific match for myself. I do not feel the need to complain about a growing company that provides significant opportunity to hard work employees. I write my darkest thoughts in my journal.

Advice to Management

There are some employees on the corporate side that show up everyday and reveal a work ethic that is unmatched in the Bay Area from a sales perspective. Bring these people close and continue on.