ClearSlide Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

Sales

3.5
Dustin Grosse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The people and team I work with are intelligent, hard-working, driven individuals (in 15 reviews)

• Excellent work life balance- Like I said before, I was never asked to work 10 hours a day (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The sales team is starting to see their reps with actual experience leave for other companies now that they're figuring out they're all way underpaid (in 7 reviews)

• Definitely not for the faint of heart (in 4 reviews)

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time

Pros

Management is very transparent. They hire really well to create a good culture and atmosphere.

Cons

Some startup pains but nothing to be concerned about.

"You will not find a truer review on Clearslide"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part a good, smart group of people throughout different teams. Surely, a hard working crew. The views and location are stellar, no doubt about it. Kitchen and snacks are fine, but not uncommon for the startup world.
    The product is improving on a monthly cadence (long overdue). Not great at anything in particular, but decent all around. Beginning to open up more about targets and numbers, which for some reason was kept under wraps for years. Profitable company.

Cons

VERY tough to meet your sales quota unless you're an SMB rep. In which case your in-bound lead flow is only matched by the singles pouring down at Cheetah's in Vegas during NBA All-Star weekend. Almost by default this team will always make quota.

Sales development has been taken apart and lead generation doesn't exist, good luck on ye' mate!
    AE's will 100% outbound and get nothing from Demand Generation/Marketing. Again, unless you're SMB sales, which would not exist if E-Commerce were in play.

Expect work to be HARD and be your own demand gen. engine if you're thinking about joining. "Rock star" sales reps come to clearslide thinking they'll do great because they've done great in past sales jobs, then the wake up call happens. They're usually gone within a few months.

Most of the reps are checked out looking for a more positive culture, guidance and some help, any help, with lead generation and more than 0 SDR's. Favoritism is prevalent and it's obvious to everyone.

Comp plans & pay outs have been misleading and demoralizing as of late. They tell you it'll be better in the long run. *holding breath*

If you're looking for training and career development for sales and services, don't look here. No investment is made for that. Unless you count the inept, hard to work with and inexperienced "sales enablement" which no one does. 'Churn and burn baby' is the mantra for sales here. If you come to clearslide with more expectation than you've read here, come back to this review after 90 days and don't say it wasn't a warning.

Sales at Clearslide is not for the faint of heart. Period.

Advice to Management

If you build it, they will come. Focus on the product and people. Do a better job of instilling confidence in your customer facing teams. Build and invest around the good ones, let go of the bad ones. Kick around the idea of having a Town-Hall meeting and let people be honest about the state of affairs and how it affects there work.

ClearSlide Response

Mar 7, 2017

I was disheartened to read this review. It doesn’t reflect my view of the state of ClearSlide, nor the facts we’ve shared internally with the team. Working at a mid-stage start up like ours is... More

"Work Hard. Be Successful. Get Rewarded"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll read a lot of reviews about ClearSlide. The honest truth is this: People who take direction, work hard, and are team oriented have great success at ClearSlide. These people are also rewarded in terms of career progression and compensation quite nicely. Selling at ClearSlide is not easy (but where is it). However, if you want to sell behind a sales leadership leadership team who are not afraid to get in the trenches and knock down walls for you - ClearSlide is your place. Additionally, ClearSlide employees great people. I look forward coming to work and spending time with co-workers.

Cons

Internal Process Issues: sometimes company feels bigger than it is in terms of red tape and process. This has been getting back over the past 6 months, but still needs work.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to our customers in terms of developing the product. Over the past year we have taken customer feedback and incorporated it into the product quicker and more than in the past.

"Good things take time"

Current Employee - Sales and Services Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales and Services Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company feels as focused as I've seen during my tenure.
    Great to see our Customers are our number one priority
    Open door policy. Everyone has a voice and access to Executives
    Team on board understands we're turning the company around and driving to healthy profitable growth

Cons

User interface of the product needs an update - a new release is in the works and due very soon
    Company is in turnaround mode, and it's taking time for the new direction and results to show

Advice to Management

Stay engaged with your employees and keep the focus on our Customers!

"Truly enjoyed my time at ClearSlide"

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Development Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales Development Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Product. Easy to wake up and go to work when you truly know people are benefiting from your offering. Great Co-Workers, especially in Seattle. Some truly talented fun people to work with.
    Bomb snacks too! Bottom line, you're going to get out what you put in but know that this is a company worth putting in the effort for, you'll learn a lot.

Cons

Not much to complain about here...unless you don't like a beautiful office, caring managers and a group of coworkers who got your back, work hard and still find time for a game of ping-pong.

Advice to Management

Loved the transparacy, seeing the vision from the top down has helped to build that unity you are looking for.

"A Start Up"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-Unlimited opportunity
    -If you want to work hard and think outside the box, this place will reward you
    -If you are lazy this place will throw you out. (This is a pro)
    -There is a new C-Suite that wants to run ClearSlide like a business, not a Build A Bear factory where everyone is told they are special.
    -Many accounts to work. People who disagree usually are not thinking outside the box.

Cons

-Customer Support is coddled.
    -Our internal systems are archaic. They are fixing them and this is a priority, but day to day it can slow you down. Once this changes, ClearSlide will hum.

Advice to Management

-Our new management knows what they are doing more than some 20 something year old sales person. I will let them decide what needs to be done.

"The blind leading the blind"

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company culture and the most talented group of sales people I've been around, until most of them along with half the company were laid off.

Cons

ClearSlide was the undisputed leader in a new space since its founding in 1999, signing up big name clients and many early adopters. Hard nose reps accomplished this on their own with no help from marketing.

Skip to August 2014. The company hit a road block since most early adopters had been sold to. Reps couldn't "cross the chasm" on their own without marketing help. Dustin Grosse (former CMO from Docusign) was brought on as COO to get the company over the hump. Within a year, Grosse recycled the marketing department twice (as in firing and rehiring the entire department) and made numerous changes to sales compensation and processes. Result: Reps still had no help from marketing. Sales were down 50% during his charge as COO and many tenured reps left.

Skip to September 2015: ClearSlide was hemorrhaging cash due to lack of growth. Half the employees was laid off. Grosse was promoted to CEO because of his stellar results during his one year tenure. A day after the layoff, Grosse organized a companywide toast celebrating poor performance and the complete destruction of our company culture.

Advice to Management

Stop throwing around the word "transparency." One day we're fine, the next day half the company is gone. It's obvious we're getting rid of dead weight while shopping for buyers.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ClearSlide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job right our of college but management is a mess and sales and marketing is not connected at all

Cons

Management is a mess and sales and marketing is not connected at ALL. Leadership has no idea what theyre doing

Advice to Management

Get a new management team who knows what they are doing

"Pretty solid place to work with good opportunities for advancement and skill building"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ClearSlide is full of fun and interesting people. If I need a 5 minute break, I can do a lap around the office and have a great intellectual conversation with one of my peers, then get back to work. It's rejuvenating to work with such cool people. I also like riding the shuttle to and from work (I save 2 grand a year on not riding BART!) and the free snacks aren't bad. Best of all, when I go home on a Friday I don't have to take my work with me. I don't mind working hard all week, but when the week is over I cherish my me-time.

Cons

As the company grows, it is getting increasingly corporate, and sometimes we spend a whole day talking about "refining our go-to-market strategy by forming team engage" and other buzzwords.

Advice to Management

ClearSlide has too much management. This company is crazy top heavy. I can't imagine all of these managers and directors are necessary.

"Great company on the verge of doing big things..."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ClearSlide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great Culture = people are great, answer all your questions, and share the knowledge/wisdom freely
    -Celebrate = sales org celebrates wins with fun events and prizes. Also use bells and gongs to recognize success.
    -Unlimited PTO = nice if you are looking for flexibility
    -Great product = game changing product for anyone with a sales org.

Cons

-Development = while the product is good, it could be better. Occasional issues with software on new releases. Also need to create open API to integrate with more CRMs.
    -Selling in an emerging market = not the company if you want to sell a commodity or be highly transactional. This is a new and sometimes complicated sale, so be prepared for longer sales cycles.

Advice to Management

-Find the recipe = sales org is still looking for ability to replicate success month after month. Need to better tune the tools/training/marketing to help Account Executives hit quota.
    -More Marketing = need to get much more aggressive in marketing and targeting the right verticals/markets
    -Keep developing the product = get more engineers and keep getting top talent