Clearbrook Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Carl M. La Mell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Supportive Living Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to set a schedule that worked around my needs.
    The "timesheet" is easy omce you get it.
    Supervisor was avalible, when needed.

Cons

Low pay, but it was a first job.
    The minimum requirement seem a little too high in my opinion.
    Was a little disappointed with other supervisors when mine was unavailable.

Advice to Management

I had no complaints. Case load was pretty simple. Had the chance to work with a great individual. Supervisor was very helpful.

2. "Mixed Review of the Agency"

Current Employee - QIDP in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - QIDP in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Clearbrook Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clearbrook offers paid training to earn/renew all certifications necessary for the job. If you have the right type of personality, most departments are eager to promote from within. This agency is an excellent one for those with no experience to receive intensive training, to observe and learn from talented veteran staff, and to work in direct service with a wide variety of clientele. The experience I have received in behavior management/intervention has been invaluable to me and has made me highly marketable as I've begun interviewing for other jobs. Many staff view Clearbrook as a springboard to bigger and better things as they use the agency to build a firm foundation upon which a career can later be built. The clients are the biggest "pro" and creating a positive, therapeutic atmosphere for them is very rewarding. Every single individual who works for the company is passionate about serving people with disabilities and working with these individuals is rewarding and unforgettable.

DSPs are part of a union, which is excellent for job security, but not quite excellent when the wrong staff slip through the cracks, become unionized, and then decide to sit on their phones for the majority of their shift because they know they most likely will not be fired for it.

Cons

The adage "it's not what you know; it's who you know" aptly describes the company culture. This can be a pro or a con; favors are often done and exceptions made for staff who are well connected. Networking is crucial and company parties are an excellent place to mingle and to make connections.

Many department heads prefer to promote young college grads who often have very little experience hands-on with clients in the trenches. These new promotions rarely have managerial experience and are unqualified to supervise veteran staff who have been working in the field for a decade or more.

Unprofessionalism is common; the QIDP sitting in the desk next to you has probably slept with at least one of the DSPs that work for him and possibly another manager or two. Two of the most recent "Above and Beyond" award winners have been nominated by their CSMs or coordinators, whom they have slept with.

DSPs do not earn a liveable wage. Dozens of hours of overtime is necessary each week for them to make ends meet. There are only a select few who have been able to become career DSPs at the company, often making tremendous financial or time sacrifices (missing holidays, working 100+ hour weeks, not seeing family often) in order to do so. Most staff attempt to move up or move out.

Advice to Management

This isn't advice; just a note on upper level management. Although I had many positive interactions with the former president of the agency, Carl LaMell, the new one, Tony DiVittorio, is also showing a lot of potential. His outreach to the surrounding community and advocacy for raising DSP wages is admirable. He works to make all staff, no matter what level, feel valued and necessary; in turn, this motivates staff to ensure that clients receive the highest quality of services possible. Unfortunately, Tony is not able to provide monetary compensation to express his appreciation, but the blame this does not rest on his shoulders since it's a statewide issue.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Supportive Living Assistant in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Supportive Living Assistant in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency (More than a year)

Pros

* flexible hours
    *great pay
    *rewarding career
    *great work life balance

Cons

there were no cons for this company

Advice to Management

none

4. "Service Coordinator"

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Clearbrook Agency (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for a good cause.

Cons

Bad pay, office was dark with no windows, and the main manager of my division left something to be desired.

5. "Community Support Coach"

Former Employee - Community Support Coach in Palatine, IL
    Former Employee - Community Support Coach in Palatine, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clients they are great....also co-workers they are what get you through the maddest
    Just working with the clients and seeing their achievements

Cons

Management...don't always understand what going on at the front lines
    The pay isn't the best but most people are there for the money

6. "QIDP"

Former Employee - QIDP in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - QIDP in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working directly with high-needs clients. Lots of responsibility. Ability to make direct change in many people's lives. Management experience.

Cons

High stress. Lots of responsibility. Not a lot of supervision from high management.

Advice to Management

More direct supervision of managers.

"Decent"

Former Employee - Supportive Living Assistant in Bellwood, IL
    Former Employee - Supportive Living Assistant in Bellwood, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with pay
    Helps you get certification, good training

Cons

There was a mix up about what I was supposed to be paid

"What a bunch of liers"

Former Employee - Community Support Coach in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Community Support Coach in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency full-time

Pros

Easy interview
    Good training
    Clients are fun to be around

Cons

Health insurance way too expensive (better off buying your own)
    Management in my department either rude or too nice (will turn on you if you are not careful)
    Was let go over a situation and was not given a fair fact finding investigation.
    Could care less if a staff member has a disability

"Stressful."

Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Palatine, IL

I have been working at Clearbrook Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great clients to work for and some very enjoyable coworkers. I love the staff that I work directly with who have my same job.

Cons

Poor management. As a newer supervisor, I got little to no guidance. My supervisors were never around and rarely answered my emails. I would have to find them in person to ask a question, and even then, they frequently didn't have an answer. Additionally, there is really poor communication between departments and people frequently just ignore emails and phone calls if it is inconvenient to them.

Advice to Management

Just be present and help your staff out when asked. My supervisors are rarely there and can be difficult to talk to; when your staff express concerns, please don't dismiss them like they're not important.

"A disaster"

Former Employee - DSP in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - DSP in Gurnee, IL

Pros

Nice days and hours. Co worker get away with murder cause management is never present.

Cons

Where to begin... I had to quit because this place allows client to client aggression and sexual harassment to take place and don't do anything about it.
    They allow clients to attend day program with shingles,MRSA, every viral and bacterial infection you can think of, they attend and spread their illnesses/diseases.
    If you want to bring this stuff home with you to spread to your family and children this place is your dream come true.

Advice to Management

Find all new managment, perhaps managment who is actually there. Managment is only there maybe once a week for 3 hours then goes home. But their salaried so I guess it's ok for them.