Clearbrook Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Carl M. La Mell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Clearbrook is a mixed bag"

Former Employee - DSP in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - DSP in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the clients and their families. That was what kept me positive about working here. I do like some of my coworkers. They're fine. Some supervisors are nice, but there are some that you wonder how they got their position.

Cons

I noticed quite a bit of passive aggressive behaviors among staff, especially with a couple supervisors. I was also disturbed at how many staff members put each other down behind each other's backs and made fun of the CEO. I didn't feel too comfortable with that.

Advice to Management

Stop the backbiting and passive aggressive behaviors. It doesn't do your clients nor their families any good. This can be a really nice place to work if you combat this. Also be more consistent with things and let workers know RIGHT THEN AND THERE if there's something that needs to be fixed instead of letting it fester.

"They are a bunch of liars!"

Former Employee - Community Support Coach
    Former Employee - Community Support Coach

I worked at Clearbrook Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Good Training
    The Clients are fun to be around

Cons

Health Insurance is way too expensive (you are better off buying your own)
    Some managers are way too rude to be in the special needs industry
    Was terminated one week after my supervisor told me to "keep up the good work" and yet I was not given a fair fact finding investigation regarding the incident I was let go over.
    Could care less if one of their staff (employees) has a disability.

Advice to Management

Just because most positions are Union, and we have to complete a five month probation period, that doesn't mean that you should just fire someone when they are within the probation period. Even probationary employees should be entitled to a fair fact finding, to dispute your concerns.

"Mixed Review of the Agency"

Current Employee - QIDP in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - QIDP in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Clearbrook Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clearbrook offers paid training to earn/renew all certifications necessary for the job. If you have the right type of personality, most departments are eager to promote from within. This agency is an excellent one for those with no experience to receive intensive training, to observe and learn from talented veteran staff, and to work in direct service with a wide variety of clientele. The experience I have received in behavior management/intervention has been invaluable to me and has made me highly marketable as I've begun interviewing for other jobs. Many staff view Clearbrook as a springboard to bigger and better things as they use the agency to build a firm foundation upon which a career can later be built. The clients are the biggest "pro" and creating a positive, therapeutic atmosphere for them is very rewarding. Every single individual who works for the company is passionate about serving people with disabilities and working with these individuals is rewarding and unforgettable.

DSPs are part of a union, which is excellent for job security, but not quite excellent when the wrong staff slip through the cracks, become unionized, and then decide to sit on their phones for the majority of their shift because they know they most likely will not be fired for it.

Cons

The adage "it's not what you know; it's who you know" aptly describes the company culture. This can be a pro or a con; favors are often done and exceptions made for staff who are well connected. Networking is crucial and company parties are an excellent place to mingle and to make connections.

Many department heads prefer to promote young college grads who often have very little experience hands-on with clients in the trenches. These new promotions rarely have managerial experience and are unqualified to supervise veteran staff who have been working in the field for a decade or more.

Unprofessionalism is common; the QIDP sitting in the desk next to you has probably slept with at least one of the DSPs that work for him and possibly another manager or two. Two of the most recent "Above and Beyond" award winners have been nominated by their CSMs or coordinators, whom they have slept with.

DSPs do not earn a liveable wage. Dozens of hours of overtime is necessary each week for them to make ends meet. There are only a select few who have been able to become career DSPs at the company, often making tremendous financial or time sacrifices (missing holidays, working 100+ hour weeks, not seeing family often) in order to do so. Most staff attempt to move up or move out.

Advice to Management

This isn't advice; just a note on upper level management. Although I had many positive interactions with the former president of the agency, Carl LaMell, the new one, Tony DiVittorio, is also showing a lot of potential. His outreach to the surrounding community and advocacy for raising DSP wages is admirable. He works to make all staff, no matter what level, feel valued and necessary; in turn, this motivates staff to ensure that clients receive the highest quality of services possible. Unfortunately, Tony is not able to provide monetary compensation to express his appreciation, but the blame this does not rest on his shoulders since it's a statewide issue.

4. "Supportive Living Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to set a schedule that worked around my needs.
    The "timesheet" is easy omce you get it.
    Supervisor was avalible, when needed.

Cons

Low pay, but it was a first job.
    The minimum requirement seem a little too high in my opinion.
    Was a little disappointed with other supervisors when mine was unavailable.

Advice to Management

I had no complaints. Case load was pretty simple. Had the chance to work with a great individual. Supervisor was very helpful.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Supportive Living Assistant in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Supportive Living Assistant in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency (More than a year)

Pros

* flexible hours
    *great pay
    *rewarding career
    *great work life balance

Cons

there were no cons for this company

Advice to Management

none

"respite worker"

I have been working at Clearbrook Agency part-time

Pros

The clients were great. I loved getting to work with them at home and take them out into the community a couple of nights a week. Never had a problem finding a client close by to my house.

Cons

I was constantly getting new supervisors and sometimes what the goals and plans were set by the agency was nowhere near what the families wanted making it confusing on what to do.

7. "Service Coordinator"

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Clearbrook Agency (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for a good cause.

Cons

Bad pay, office was dark with no windows, and the main manager of my division left something to be desired.

8. "Community Support Coach"

Former Employee - Community Support Coach in Palatine, IL
    Former Employee - Community Support Coach in Palatine, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clients they are great....also co-workers they are what get you through the maddest
    Just working with the clients and seeing their achievements

Cons

Management...don't always understand what going on at the front lines
    The pay isn't the best but most people are there for the money

9. "QIDP"

Former Employee - QIDP in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - QIDP in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working directly with high-needs clients. Lots of responsibility. Ability to make direct change in many people's lives. Management experience.

Cons

High stress. Lots of responsibility. Not a lot of supervision from high management.

Advice to Management

More direct supervision of managers.

"Decent"

Former Employee - Supportive Living Assistant in Bellwood, IL
    Former Employee - Supportive Living Assistant in Bellwood, IL

I worked at Clearbrook Agency (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with pay
    Helps you get certification, good training

Cons

There was a mix up about what I was supposed to be paid