Clearlink Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Clearlink CEO Phil Hansen
Phil Hansen

Pros
  • They know the real meaning of work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• I can honestly say that Clearlink is without a doubt the best work environment I've experienced on both the sales and marketing sides (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • They type of flexible and always changing structure can be hard to handle for those used to a more strict call center environment (in 17 reviews)

• Not enough transparency from upper management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Really Great Company, but..."

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Clearlink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The healthcare cost are the most affordable I have ever seen.
    - The pay is very fair and just slightly below average in the greater salt lake area.
    - Talent is definitely rewarded and advancement opportunities do happen.
    - The company culture is fantastic. The majority of people enjoy their job.
    - Negative attitudes are definitely not tolerated.
    - Work/life balance is amazing here!

Cons

- Clearlink is one of those companies that grew faster than expected and it shows. In the context of cons it's not a major one; however it can make your day to day responsibilities a nightmare (on occasion).
    - Some of the legacy platforms used are entirely outdated (comically outdated).
    - The main platform is not any better, it is a proprietary CMS system that clearly failed and should have died a long time ago, but it continues to be actively maintained.

Advice to Management

- There are more modern ways of rolling out websites.
    - Try to spend more resources on planning then simply just doing and hoping for the best.

2. "Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Content Strategist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Content Strategist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Clearlink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, relatively fast paced, and no pressure to work outside of 9-5.

Cons

The brands/products/sites aren't the most exciting, and sometimes feels difficult to get excited about what we're working on.

3. "great benefits"

I have been working at Clearlink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

one of the best intro-level jobs in the valley

Cons

it can be taxing at times

5. "Amazing organization to work for - open to change, flexible, challenging"

Current Employee - Corporate Staff in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Corporate Staff in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Clearlink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clearlink is a fast-growing organization that fosters and maintains the types of close relationships that often come with startups and smaller companies. There is a core belief about caring about the people who work here. They are flexible, yet push you to really make a difference in the organization.

Cons

Sometimes changes are made so quickly and rapidly that I can't help but wonder if we're not giving new initiatives time to settle in and become effective.

6. "Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Clearlink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing. They give you free healthcare after a year and it's pretty cheap anyway. Free soda and fully stocked store. Pretty laid back for a call center. Great incentives (tv, cars, playstations, ipads etc..). Cool people and music playing all the time. Doesn't feel like a prison like most call centers. The home security and home services side is really good and well run. The best supervisor I ever had works on the verizon/movearoo team. I would definitely recommend that team to any prospective employee. I know people on the AT&T team who love it. Everyone who gets promoted to the quality team, corporate, HR and any other dept LOVES it.

Cons

Home services department: The call quality. I would suggest that they do a better job of marketing, filtering calls and acquiring leads. A lot of people would be calling for ridiculous reasons not remotely related to our job as sales agents. People calling for services that aren't in their state.

Insurance Department: Again the call quality. We had 37 states where we were licensed and I still have days where 75 percent of my calls flood in from states where we aren't licensed. Also the companies we work with, insure incredibly sub-standard people often having to pay $1000 a month. I'm not even exaggerating with that #. That is a pretty common price. Management somehow mismanaged funds this year and everyone had to take an hours cut during the holidays. The insurance department is the exact opposite of the home services side. I would never recommend the insurance department to a new employee.

Advice to Management

Shut down the insurance department. It is the most poorly run floor I've ever been a part of. Focus on funneling that money to incentives like you used to have. Like corporate games, sporting events etc...

7. "Love it"

I have been working at Clearlink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, amazing incentives, great commission, free soda, fun environment, lots of prizes

Cons

Sales can be draining. Can be hard for the "unpopular" people to promote. Other than that it's a great place to work

Advice to Management

Promote agents that have the want and skill to promote. Stop promoting your friends.

8. "Help Desk"

Current Employee - Help Desk in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Help Desk in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Clearlink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart group of well-rounded, friendly, and knowledgeable IT professionals
    Work hard play, play hard attitude
    Hands-on experience with things atypical of a traditional Help Desk
    Little to no micro-managing
    Great benefits
    Fairly competitive pay
    Fun team activities throughout the year and the annual Christmas Dinner

Cons

Little to no opportunity for promotion in the current structure (low glass cieling)
    Trust issues with management
    Nepotism
    Lines of open communication are discouraged

Advice to Management

Have faith in whom you've hired. Promote from within. Truly encourage open communication. Learn from mistakes. Create opportunities for professional and personal growth.

9. "Starts out great"

I have been working at Clearlink full-time

Pros

They offer lots of incentives for top performers as well as it is decent pay if you can sell everything offered. They work around school schedules really well.

Cons

If you are selling well you can fly by under the radar with out any one breathing down your back. Once numbers start to slip, expect your supervisor to try to weed you out instead of trying to coach and help you.

Advice to Management

Train your lower level managers on how to help people progress instead of just laying on pressure and blaming your mental game. Make the call floor fun again so that people actually want to be there.

Dec 27, 2016 – Employee Relations Manager

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We've read through your review and have passed it on to our sales leaders. If you would like to talk with our HR team, please email hr@clearlink.com.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Clearlink full-time

Pros

Insurance is free after the first year commission is good quarterly raises coworkers are nice people free soda blah blah

Cons

Management management management management management management management management management management management management management management management management management management management management management management

Advice to Management

Be clear don't be shady don't lie and try and cover it up don't threaten people's jobs just try and act like you care

Dec 27, 2016 – Employee Relations Manager

Your feedback is important to us. We've recorded your review and forwarded it to our sales executives. If you would like to talk with our HR team, please email hr@clearlink.com.

"I Really Wanted to Love Working Here..."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Clearlink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at this company is it's biggest pro and con. It's a fun, relaxed environment that is mostly young 20-somethings. If you're looking for a more professional feel, then you'll find yourself quickly exhausted here. If you're 19-24 and prefer a casual job that won't expect too much maturity out of you, than this is a great place, and will probably be one of the best paying jobs for that criteria.

For many, this will be their first real full-time sales job. When you're fresh out of school, the prospect of making $400-600 in hourly, plus another $200-700 in commission that's paid out weekly is fantastic. For the top performers, this is an incredibly job

Free gourmet coffee machines, soda fountains, and frequent catering, along with on campus access to a (slightly overpriced) market, as well as regular food trucks.

There are certain floors that are geared towards career sales. Whether this be business accounts, insurance, or home security, there are definitely places to move into that make really good money, and appeal to seasoned salespeople.

Cons

The culture. If you're attempting to grow up, and take your job seriously, then you'll feel incredibly out of place here.

Unfortunately, once you strip the fun culture away, it reveals a company with many, many internal flaws that is only holding on because their income structure is incredibly lucrative. This become even more clear when Sykes took over, because the vision of the two companies doesn't line up very well.

The commission structure is awkward. Your commission percentage is based on the performance of everyone else on the floor. If you have a particularly high performance week, then you're pushing other people into earning a smaller percentage.

The hours are horrid. Many new hires find themselves on evenings (usually 11:30 - 8pm or 12:30 - 9pm) which on its own is acceptable, but it's made worse by the fact that they hold your weekends hostage. Getting a true 2 day weekend is a privilege reserved for long term employees. Your days off are usually 1 weekend day, and 1 week day, and they'll never give you Friday/Saturday or Sunday/Monday as those 2 days off. Most likely you'll see yours as Friday/Sunday, Thursday/Sunday, Saturday/Monday or Wednesday/Saturday and you've probably got a year before you're allowed to have the 2 days in a row off that you've taken for granted at every other company.

As I mentioned in the "Pros" section, the compensation is fantastic for top performers. Unfortunately, on the flip side, I've watched many average/aspiring sales reps become unmotivated and quit because of poor compensation, and then not getting any attention from coaches. If you're not generating enough revenue, then they have little interest in helping you improve. They'd rather just pressure you into quitting so that they don't have to worry about you any more.

Moving up in the company is a bit convoluted and secretive. If you get on upper management's good side, and golf with the right people, you'll pretty easily find yourself in a cushy salary job. They claim to reward performance, but in my time at the company, it always felt like a Boy's Club with a strong "bros before numbers" attitude. I feel like this is exacerbated by a poorly defined chain of command, so you never really know how to move up until you already have. Interviews from internal applications feel very patronizing, because many people interviewing you don't even hide the fact that it's just a formality and they've already made their choice to promote a friend before even posting the listing.

Advice to Management

Improve coaching structure for employee retention. The high turnover seems to put too much demand on your tenured veterans.

Promote more people to apply for internal promotions and actually give them a shot. It's incredibly obvious to most sales reps that their management is a club of friends and they feel completely incapable of moving up. There are too few women in leadership roles, and I've seen many feel unwelcome and have to quit because of it.

Dec 20, 2016 – Employee Relations Manager

Thank you for your analysis of our organization. We’ve read through your entire statement and made notes of your suggestions for culture, commission structure, work schedule, interview process, and ... More