Clearlink Employee Reviews about "boys club"

Updated May 15, 2019

3.4
Clearlink President Ted Roxbury
Ted Roxbury
Pros
  • "Encourage a healthy work/life balance(in 29 reviews)

• "Great people, chill atmosphere on an Engineering team that tries to use best practices and solid foundations(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Coaches are paid based off your performance (can create stress)(in 28 reviews)

• "I'm not sure if the upper management knows(in 22 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "boys club"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good overall company

Jan 5, 2016 - Marketing Manager in Park City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company with flexibility and trust in employees. Making strides to improve pay and gender equality. Generally provides upward movement and most managers are open to listening to ideas from everyone. Employees are given a lot of autonomy.

Cons

Can still be a good old boys club.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee

Good company that has lost its way

May 15, 2019 - Sales Agent, New Hire Trainer
      Business Outlook

Pros

There definitely are pros. Many of the people are great co-workers who will become your friends, and there are coaches and managers that genuinely care about their reps. Free drinks, coffee, and frequent catering are nice too. The location of the Orem office is excellent, right next to University Mall. Getting paid weekly is awesome, as is the free health insurance.

Cons

Sadly, the main cons affect agents, not management. There is far too large of a disparity between how coaches and managers behave at work, and how agents are allowed to behave. Agents truly feel like second-class citizens at Clearlink. So many of the leaders are in their positions because they were in the right place at the right time, and it has created a toxic "boys club" where friends promote their friends, and there is little opportunity to break in if you're not in the club. They don't look outside the company for talent because they can pay internal promotions less money. Because the number of promotions is so few, there is intense competition for those jobs, and management uses that to terrorize potential candidates. Even though there is a ping-pong table for employee's use, promotion candidates are told they shouldn't play because it "looks bad." Why even have a ping-pong table if you shame people for taking a break? In training, the micromanagement was atrocious. The director insisted that everyone on the team replied all to every email that went out. Every email. So every time one small email went out, maybe touching on a small policy change or an event coming up, you'd get 18 emails that all say "on it" or "got it" or "what a great idea!" It felt like complete disingenuous pandering, and it felt like if you didn't respond with a vapid unnecessary response, you were falling out of the director's good graces. It also became a running joke. This same director was the perfect example of someone who was in the right place at the right time- no business acumen, no innovative ideas. Worse than this, she was an obvious gossiper, and those conversations frequently got back around. When I was new as an agent, the opportunities for commissions were exciting and real. I could make $500 a week in commissions regularly; now that would represent the top 5% of the agents of any given team. They have spun commission structures where they try to tell you that you can make more- but you can make more only if you're hitting ridiculous and unrealistic numbers. And the biggest con of all... the call flow. The call flow is this inflexible script where you have to read some things verbatim, and other things you have to mention or pitch on the call. So instead of a dynamic, intelligent, professional sales agent, they've created robots that have to follow the call flow and force products down peoples' throats. It's 2019 for God's sake and they would force agents to pitch home phone lines to people. Say someone has a call where the customer says "I am a conscientious objector to TV- I think it's immoral, and I'm leading a campaign to eradicate TV in the world." The agent is still required to pitch that person TV. So the agent comes off as either disinterested, disrespectful, stupid, or all of the above. Management's response to this is the weakest and most patronizing idea of all time: "we don't know that our TV pitch won't change their mind, so we have to pitch it on every call every time!"

4 people found this review helpful

COO and President of Home Services

We really appreciate this feedback and your suggestions for improvement. One of our new strategic business initiatives is focused specifically on the employee experience, which includes analyzing things like leadership development and compensation approach to address some of the issues you've mentioned here. I'm confident we're headed in the right direction, but I'd still love to know more about your experience if you're willing to share. Please feel free to reach out to me at Loudandclear@clearlink.com. Thank you. - Adam Mergist

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

They care, until they don't

Feb 1, 2018 - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free swag. People pretend they care. Great benefits. If you need any kind of drugs, you can easily find them. There are a select few good people.

Cons

They sold themselves to Sykes. It has become a corporate environment thats goal is to create robots. If you haven't worked here for years, don't plan on going anywhere. If you don't like to Mountain Bike or golf and like to make fun of other associates behind closed doors, don't even think about it. The fraud is CRAZY. And all management knows it. Why else do you think they just fired most of their VP's? It only took several years for Sykes to figure it out but, before that it was anything goes if you were in the boys club. And the 'Employee Advocate's are just there for mgmt to make it look like they care. They would rarther talk you into quitting than getting fired for their own statistics.

6 people found this review helpful

Communications Manager

We here at Clearlink absolutely do not tolerate any sort of fraud. We have worked extremely hard to earn our Certificate of PCI Compliance and take every precaution to protect our status as a trusted, secure organization. We would like to talk to you and further investigate your claims, please contact us at HR@Clearlink.com so we can begin the process. We also adhere to a strict anti-drug policy that all employees are subject to. Any reasonable suspicion triggers a process that can involve searches and drug testing and result in suspension or termination.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good Ole Boys Club

Jul 15, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

It was a really relaxed environment. They did encourage work life balance. Like most of the reviews here, it WAS an amazing place to work at first, but after a while the wax came off and you realized it for what it was.

Cons

Your ability, hard work and qualifications do not count for anything at this company. If you are a single wreckless male, who goes golfing and parties with everyone, you are going to get promoted. It is completely based on who you are buddies with and not ability. There are several reviews that mention that. Females do not rise to positions of high authority. It really is a good ole boys club. I am not sure if the owner is aware of it or not. You are also very underpaid. I went from Clearlink to another job and immediately started off 10k more a year and I have been there ever since.

4 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Director

We appreciate your candid feedback and would love to hear more about your experience. This is a feeling and experience we DEFINITELY do not want our employees encountering, nor one we condone. Our head of HR, Cammie would appreciate any additional insight you would be open to sharing. She can be reached at: cammie.cable@clearlink.com Thank you!

5. 2.0
      Former Employee

Good place to start out, not the place to end up

Sep 24, 2015 - Marketing in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of responsibilities that can help you learn about various parts of the business world. Nice people with a 'family' bond and amazing perks.

Cons

The worst of the 'boys club' mentality I've ever seen, even excluding other males who do not fit the mold. Too much emphasis on the external perks, and not enough focus on personal growth and quality of work. In my new job, I've expanded my horizons farther in the last few months than in all my time at CL. Strong, worthy employees don't need to be bribed. Perks are great and work as extra icing on the cake...but right now, that's all CL has to offer a person. Management openly acknowledges problems but does nothing to solve them. People are put in leadership positions because of tenure or favoritism, rather than merit or drive. So much potential in this company, lost just riding on the coat tails of the sales revenue.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0

Copywriter

Dec 6, 2015 -  in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Young, vibrant workforce with lots of energy and a can-do attitude from basically everyone around you. Well-stocked break/snack room. Manageable workload. Solid pay.

Cons

Thinks it's a way cooler place to work than it is. Zero on-boarding for non-call center employees. Vague and often contradictory directives that result from a lack of integrity in their mission and a lack of understanding of the creative process. Definitely a bit of a boys club vibe at times. Inevitable corporate-feeling environment that tries annoyingly hard to feel like it's not.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Stifling Growth With the Magic of Bro Culture

Dec 21, 2017 - Digital Marketing in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing benefits - from free ski passes to free food to regular team activities - Relaxed workspace - lax dress code, ping pong table, pleasant coworkers - Flexible scheduling - this depends on who your manager is, because some definitely discourage remote work or schedule changes

Cons

Clearlink's values do not line up with their actions in the marketing department. While the company promises an open-minded workplace where people can grow, learn, and improve their career, in marketing it is often the exact opposite. There, ideas are stifled, people are undervalued, and nepotism runs rampant. New ideas, good and bad, are discouraged almost across the board, not by words but by actions. For an industry that moves as fast as digital marketing, Clearlink's middle to upper management is strongly set in their ways and extremely slow to adjust. The CMO lords over the entire department, promoting personal friends and ignoring the ideas of newer hires and people outside his select group of friends. His pet projects often receive undue attention and resources, regardless of their success. These same friends, a literal boys' club of long tenured Clearlink employees, are promoted regularly and often into roles indistinguishable from their original roles. These promotions are also celebrated via department-wide emails, emphasizing the frequency and disparity of these promotions versus promotions outside the boys' club. While "People" is a core tenant of Clearlink's culture, turnover is incredibly high - on one small team there were zero promotions in 2 years while over a dozen people on that team quit or were fired. This type of environment is extremely discouraging, especially as executives are very publicly promoted and re-promoted. The only department that sees significant hiring is management, which is close to eclipsing actual workers. Managers are hired to manage managers while other departments are left struggling for resources. If you are a white man who likes to ski, hang out with good buds, manage marketing employees, and you've worked at Clearlink for 10 years or more, Clearlink is a great place to work!

18 people found this review helpful

Communications Manager

We are sorry to hear about your negative experience at Clearlink. As an organization, we do not take the issues of sexism, racism, or discrimination lightly. We value your honest feedback, and acknowledge that we can always do better. We would like to point out that we truly value the viewpoint and input from people of all different backgrounds at Clearlink. When we speak of inclusion at Clearlink, we envision an environment where everyone feels a sense of belonging and is comfortable being their whole self at work. We continue to work towards an inclusive workplace, where we all consistently advocate for each other’s needs, respect individual value, support each other’s life experiences, and celebrate our differences. We would sincerely like to hear what happened for you to come away with such a negative perception of Clearlink. Please email our HR Department at HR@Clearlink.com so that we can open a constructive dialogue and discuss your experience.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Terrible Leadership. Bros, bros, and bros.

May 23, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you're a C or D level player, or are good friends with someone who is on the leadership team, you can do what you want all day, get paid well, and live a very stress free life.

Cons

The entire leadership team is absolutely clueless. Take a bunch of bros who started together, never cared to put the energy into listening, learning, or even trying to be better, then give them the power to run a company, and you get Clearlink. The state of the company is as it was 10 years ago. No new blood has ever survived here- outside ideas are threatening, innovators are forced out, and if you aren't one of the boys, you get bullied until you leave. The only way to advance is to have been there since day one and get a hand up from a friend on the leadership team. Bad talent thats been there forever is valued far more highly than exceptional talent from outside. Phil (CEO) has been completely checked out since the Sykes acquisition (literally, does not even show up) and those who 'stepped up' are myopic, inexperienced, and defensive. The lack of vision, empathetic leadership, and innovation is driving this company into the ground. Oh, if you are a female, DO NOT WORK HERE. They make examples of the few female leaders they have in place but do not tell you that the only tenured females are married to male executives. Any female not in a relationship with a member of the boys club doesn't last a year. While Clearlink touts a great inclusive culture, its not a reality. It is the most clique-y, gossipy workplace I've ever experienced and its full of bullies, in place to defend the honor and status of the boys club. Their great benefits are being peeled back quickly due to failing profitability as a result of the terrible management. At this rate, they aren't going to last.

14 people found this review helpful

Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback regarding your employment here at Clearlink. While we are disappointed that we were not able to deliver the excellent employee experience we strive for, we appreciate your candor. The balance between promoting from within and finding the best outside talent is a delicate one, and we are constantly evaluating how we navigate the issue. As a company that has grown from the ground up to over 1,700 employees, we do have employees that have met and married their partners here at Clearlink over the years. However, we are meticulously careful to navigate any possible conflicts of interest those relationships could present and employee relationships would never have any bearing on career development/advancement. We take inclusion very seriously here and have been proactive in taking measures to ensure that everyone is welcome. In fact, in 2017, 55% of our leadership hires were women. Additionally, we signed the Parity Pledge this year and extended it all the way down to the director-level to enhance our efforts to promote women in leadership. For more information about Inclusion and Diversity at Clearlink, please visit https://www.clearlink.com/inclusion/. We would like to hear more about your experience and how we can learn from it. Please email us at HR@Clearlink.com so we can get the conversation started.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee

Good, but could be better

Sep 1, 2015 -  in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, low stress, basic responsibilities, smart coworkers.

Cons

Boys club. Classic male dominated upper management with the exception of "female" roles like HR and PR.

1 person found this review helpful