Clearswift Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Clearswift Chief Executive Officer Heath Davies
Heath Davies

1. "I love the culture and the people here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Devizes, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Devizes, KS

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The Culture, the people, the team work, friendly atmosphere, the flexibility
    - The corporate feel with an open door policy
    - The drive and inspiration from the Exec team
    - Social element
    - Beautiful setting

Cons

I can't think of any

2. "Great Place to Work, Former Employees Come Back"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

By far one of the best things Clearswift has going for it are the people that work here. I've been on the US tech support team for almost seven years and we've had two former employees (one had transferred to another team, one who quit working for awhile) come back. That tells you something right there. And Clearswift puts a lot of money into R & D and continues to provide really interesting products and technologies that our competitors don't offer.

Cons

Of course I can't speak for others regarding salary but I get regular raises and the company also gives bonuses when performance metrics are met. Being a smaller company, promotion opportunities are not as abundant as a larger organization but management also rewards employees in other ways such as the ability to work remotely and travel opportunities, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in us and we will continue to invest in you as well.

"Overall Experience very positive."

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with cutting edge technology in the content filtering vertical. Lots of traction in US Government. Have many customers in DoD. Never a dull moment. I work in a fast pace environment - lone pre-sales engineer working with 3 regional sales managers and a sales consultant plus the channel. I enjoy working in this type of environment. I am able to speak with many different people at many different types of companies from large banking institutions, universities, hospitals, and fortune 100... 500 companies. I enjoy getting excited about Clearswift and the solutions we provide when speaking with customers and prospects. We are relavant and offer technology solutions that these verticals require. It is relatively easy to get an appointment with a potential opportunity (or suspect) as there is an excellent story to tell. I worked at Clearswift 7 years ago, but was laid-off. A friend asked me to come back as they were looking for a pre-sales engineer in the US. I was hesitant, at first, but when I saw the strides Clearswift was making relative to new, disruptive technologies and having a good story to tell, I decided to jump back in. I also work for a hardworking VP of Sales. He is a sales fighter - a welter weight. Haha, but a great guy to work for. He really wants to win opportunities and is right there with his sales guys and me, rolling up his sleeves to get the job done as one of us. I respect that trait in a leader.

Cons

The total comp plan, compared to other US high tech companies for a pre-sales engineer, is on the low side. I am motivated by money (as well as technology). I am paid a good base salary, but my bonus schedule truly is not inline with the norm in the states. I am not completely unhappy about this fact, though. There is potential for growth and I am soaking up the experience and contacts I am making. I have only been here for a year and my belief is that you need 2-3 years to start really shining at a company - the trouble is most companies are quick to shift and change. I hope Clearswift is going to allow the teams in place to grow and shine before shifting and changing. The US market is huge. It would be excellent if there were more marketing presence here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! On a day-to-day basis I love Clearswift. I am in it for the long haul and enjoy my job, the technology, my peers, the environment, etc, etc. Thanks! Don't forget about your satellite offices. We may be far, but our loyalty and work ethic are on par with that of corporate.

"Getting back on the right track"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The first 4 years were less than stellar to be quite honest, but the team I work with is terrific. The main reason I stayed was the job market in the region, but there seems to be a real, postive culture shift from the top level and it is making it's way down to the lower level employees. Its apparent the new leadership is interested in the future of not only the company, but the employees themselves. The products which once showed promise, but were lacking in features now are maturing to the point of a real enterprise class solution.
    The customer base is loyal and have mostly been around for a number of years.

Cons

The road has been slow and there isn't a lot of logal organic growth in my region. This is likely due to the non-exisent brand recognition and a virtually complete lapse in marketing.

Advice to Management

Consider the US region a strategic market and make more investments in brand recognition and sales.

5. "European Company that has been around for a long time"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA

Pros

-getting experience in an European company
    -cool product
    -I was able to goto London (HQ)

Cons

A European Company, different than a US. Domestic company

Advice to Management

I don't have any

"Great place to start a career, bad place to end one."

Former Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Tech Support Engineer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

I learned a great deal about enterprise network architecture and troubleshooting and content filration. They were willing to give you as much responsibility as you were willing to take. This could be good for somebody trying to get their foot in the door and parlay this experience into a better job which I did. A good place to break into the lucrative world of IT security.
    They had a good 401k with matching that I managed to save about 12k in two years.

Cons

Basically a dead end job. The company was not growing and there was no path for advancement. When I left after 2 years to the day. The HR person said that a 2 year turnover is what they calculated for this position so they didn't really care. I advised her that all the most qualified people are just going to leave which will leave them with a green staff and no wisdom. Didn't seem to care.

Advice to Management

Create a reason for people to stay and they will.

7. "Small Company with limited vision"

I have been working at Clearswift full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technology that can be expanded upon in the content inspection space. Opportunities to partner are good, but need to find companies that have a need for this technology

Cons

Not enough focus for US market. Emphasis is on the UK

Advice to Management

Recognize hard work of US team and provide more incentives. Learn from past mistakes, don't reinvent the wheel

8. "An old fashioned company with a desire to modernise"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Theale, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Theale, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

The best aspect of working at Clearswift is the social atmosphere, a lot of people in engineering are quite light-hearted, easy to get along with and most are hard working individuals. There's quite a few social events ranging from sports to board games. The company also organises parties for the employees which tend to be enjoyable and have high attendance.

Clearswift are plagued by old fashioned development practices and tools but there is an effort to modernise the company. There are multiple people in powerful positions within engineering who are pushing for a renovation of the department but progress is slow. Given a few years I think the company will be transformed into a much more modern software development house.

A big positive of the engineering department is that they're very facilitating if you decide you'd rather work in a different team, they prefer to move employees than lose them.

Cons

As I mentioned previously, the tools and code bases used for internal and external products can be extremely outdated. Often it feels like a lot of things have been put together in a very rushed manner to get a product shipped or get an internal system working, this results in a lot of technical debt.

There are quite a few issues with lost knowledge of code bases but the company is making a genuine effort to spread knowledge between multiple people and multiple teams.

It feels like there's a bit of a disparity between departments, sometimes it feels like departments are working to their own goals with a disregard of collaborating more with each other. It can feel like the company is split into fragments that are competing with each other, when actually they should be helping each other succeed.

Finally the efforts to modernise feel like progress is much slower than it should be. I believe it's because some senior long-standing employees don't like change and are resistant to it. Also the desires of the business side of the company don't align with the engineering side of the business so there isn't much time set aside to tackle technical debt.

Advice to Management

The company has a good foundation to build from but more effort needs to be made into bringing Clearswift into the modern era. A great deal of technical debt exists and it needs to be taken seriously by those outside of engineering.

9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Theale, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

Clearswift is a real convivial and friendly place to work. It is quite a small sized company, and that means that we all pretty much know each other. It also means bureaucracy is down to a minimum, and projects are actually moving forward.

I have been here just over 4 years now, my role has continuously evolved, and my salary raised every year. Clearswift provides internal and external training, and focuses on its employees personal development.

The products are great. Product management and R&D are making real efforts to be unique in a busy market.

Cons

Salary could probably be slightly higher, but the great personal development can make a real impact on future career moves.
    There has been quite a few changes in directions and objectives lately, and it sometimes is hard to follow.

Advice to Management

Keep providing personal growth training for all employees. I have learned so much on a lot of topics since I'm here.

10. "Excellent Company that cares about their employees with great technology"

I have been working at Clearswift full-time

Pros

Since my time at Clearswift I have felt like a truly welcome member of the team with everyone being happy to help out and pitch in with anything I have needed. There is an excellent middle management and exec team in place that really knows the market and fosters confidence throughout the organisation.

The product is excellent with some clear differentiation from the competition with the needs of the market being thought about before anything else. Having a unique proposition really helps drives the vision of Clearswift with potential prospects and customers alike.

Cons

The only con I can think of is we do not currently have enough market awareness. There is a plan in place for this to change however over the past few years Clearswift has developed a new set of tools that is potentially game changing to space we play that the market does not necessarily know about right now.

With the recent investment in a more robust and larger sales force this is likely to turn around.