Clearwire Reviews | Glassdoor

Clearwire Reviews

Updated July 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • All the great people who were committed to joint success (in 10 reviews)

• In technical support the work environment was awesome (in 9 reviews)

Cons

1. "Most positive environment under difficult circumstances"

Former Employee - Senior Manager - IT in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager - IT in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Clearwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent IT leadership. Good morale and high motivation during difficult circumstances.

Cons

The company went through multiple rounds of layoffs. It was difficult to deliver projects that needed more resources in the midst of layoff activities.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the excellent leadership. Role model for how to lead under pressure.

2. "An amazing opportunity with tons of growth and great people. I am worried I will never find that again in my career."

Former Employee - Recruiting Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Recruiting Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Clearwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Going outside your job description was expected.
    Autonomy to get stuff done.
    Everyone is a leader.
    People, people, people
    The company worked with a chip on its shoulder which kept everyone sharp

Cons

Sprint bought the company out it was disbanded

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work with future companies

3. "CSR"

Current Employee - Senior Oracle Database Administrator in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Oracle Database Administrator in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Clearwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very laid back atmosphere however unfortunately the higher tier groups have alot of negativity. Even though they have high negativity they still prove to be very resourceful in resolving issues.

Cons

Financial hardships unfortunately caused severe issues and hurt moral very badly. Company has had several sets of layoffs that unfortunately resulted in mixed feelings. i personally watched my brother, lover, and best friend all get let go because they were deemed not important enough to keep.

Advice to Management

Try not to let the hard times get you down

4. "Working at Clearwire was awesome, with the most amazing teams and leaders, and people in general."

Former Employee - Various Positions in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Various Positions in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Clearwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clearwire was so unique an environment that scrappy, fun, engaging, dynamic, full of recognition, with an amazing group of talent, able to ride through storms and sunny days with the same tenacity and eagerness one would want with a tech start up. The possibilities for growth and support of all types of personalities was second to none.

Cons

Truly the only down side that I can say about working at Clearwire was that the time had to end and the people go their separate ways. I would have been happy to stay there for many years and will always look back at my years there fondly

Advice to Management

I hope the management team from Clearwire takes their awesome and supportive enthusiasm to their next companies, and continues to deliver amazing leadership

5. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Desktop Support Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Clearwire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Clearwire. I was set up through a college recruiting program ran by Kylah Searing. The entire process was fun and interactive. It was a program meant to get college grads used to work life. Exactly what I was looking for. The company culture was awesome. It was a work hard play hard culture. People shot around dart guns, messed around, had fun, pulled pranks, Thirsty Thursdays, etc. The CEO (Erik Prusch) was always around the office and would acknowledge anyone and everyone. At one company event there was whip cream pie to the face challenges. Erik was the first to get on the ground and start cleaning the cream off the floor. Great demonstration of leadership. The company put an emphasis on this by having cubicles for everyone on the same floor.

Towards the end of Clearwire Beth Taska took over as CHO. She ran a number of self development classes meant to educate and improve the live of employees inside and outside of work. She had a number of interactive exercises that I still use to day in my day to day routine when conversing with people.

The college recruitment program involved a mentorship program. It was pretty amazing because all the kids recruited from college had mentors that helped them receive new jobs at other companies after we were all laid off. I can say that my mentor was incredibly patient and taught me more than I could have learned in any other support position. My GPA is not great, but my resume and job experience trumps my college transcripts.

Cons

Its really too bad that Sprint let go of so many people that made the culture at the company. It was crazy to see how the company culture disappear over night. People walking around with vibrant smiles no longer enjoyed their time at Clearwire. I actually feel bad for those still there (I was there 8 months). However, when a company merges, this is all part of the process. No need to be bitter here. No one means anyone harm, its just business and wherever there are lay offs, there are new companies recruiting and growing everyday.

Advice to Management

After years of experience be willing to look inside for potential flaws and blind spots. Because they are there.

6. "It was amazing. Made a LOT of money!"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Clearwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clearwire let me be as creative as I wanted as long as it increased sells.

Cons

Lots of lay offs, needed to come out with cell phones.

Advice to Management

Wish we could have kept the campanula going.

7. "great company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Clearwire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

well respected and well treated was taken care of well and respect this company love the culture

Cons

not to many as long as you like sales you can do well here

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing dont stop taking care of your employees

8. "If you could stand the heat, it could occasionally be fun in the kitchen."

Former Employee - E-commerce in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - E-commerce in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Clearwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. Clearwire was under a lot of hardship - much of it their own creation. To get out of that situation, the company needed to take drastic measures. If you were in the right group, that situation could be really interesting. If you were in the wrong group, your time at the company could be short. Being under the gun, the company was willing to try new and different things. In some areas where senior management didn't have a ton of experience (ex. e-commerce) your ability to roam was pretty great. You didn't need to detail all the nitty-gritty...just share the results. As long as you delivered results, they left you alone to run the show.

Cons

Web technology infrastructure was archaic at best. No room to grow from a resume career standpoint once things started coming to an end. Golden handcuffs for a select few

Advice to Management

Enjoy your severance packages.

9. "excellent place to build IT systems from zero"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Clearwire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

startup environment
    energized to compete with big players

Cons

Uncertainty
    Lot of moving pieces
    eco system is not properly built

10. "Working for Clear was like working for Google!"

Former Employee - Tier II Supervisor in Milton, FL
    Former Employee - Tier II Supervisor in Milton, FL

I worked at Clearwire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work enviroment was great we played games, like deal or no deal, did karoke on fridays. They made you want to come to work for fear you'd miss something fun or an exciting giveaway.

Cons

The company decided to outsource to the Phillipians.

Advice to Management

Never leave good workers hanging!