Cleary Gottlieb Reviews | Glassdoor

Cleary Gottlieb Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • When it comes to actual substantive work, top-tier law firms all do the same stuff and you'll work roughly the same hours (in 9 reviews)

• Great company very nice people great benefits advancement opportunities international travel good company holiday patties (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Demanding job which may disturb your work-life balance significantly (in 9 reviews)

• As with any firm, sometimes you work long hours (in 14 reviews)

1. "Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cleary is a terrific firm, full of smart people. What sets Cleary apart is the people. Not only are the people smart, but they are human. Overall, they tend to be understanding and good team players, and all dedicated to working hard and delivering high-quality advice and products.

Cons

Working at a law firm requires dedication to your work, but, if you are going to do that, this would be a best choice.

"Non - legal staff"

Former Employee - Applications Specialist/Software Tester in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist/Software Tester in Lanham, MD

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, and work life balance is excellent! The pay is very good but that's a con in a way because you get complacent and comfortable.

Cons

It was great at first. I was there 7 years working in IT. I out grew the position and Io wanted to learn more. That was disapproved so I went back to school for my Masters and two weeks after I graduated. I was laid off. with a bunch of folks who were 45 or older under reconstruction. With that being said, I would not recommend this firm as a IT member. Morale doesn't exist and the environment is filled with employees who are very agitated, bitter, and dissatisfied.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff fairly regardless of there age.

3. "Best in the business when it comes to pro bono"

Former Employee - Associate/Law Clerk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate/Law Clerk in New York, NY

Pros

Substantial commitment to pro bono; no limit on the number of hours an associate can perform
    Meaningful diversity outside of the partnership
    Congenial work environment; great colleagues
    Good exit options in the private sector and public interest

Cons

Limited opportunities for promotion, especially within the litigation department
    Limited opportunities for associates to develop trial advocacy skills

5. "LItigation Paralegal"

Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perfect job for a recent college graduate that does not want to be a career paralegal and/or is thinking about law school. Exposed to a wide variety of cases and acquired a lot of hand on experience. Car home and free dinner if you work after a certain time. OT pay.

Cons

Steep learning curve. Some attorneys are happy to teach you, some will belittle you and yell. Most people leave after their two year commitment. They do feel like they own your time so weekends and nights are not unheard of.

Advice to Management

I would say better trainings, but it is impossible. The variety of tasks that a paralegal might have to do varies. They do an ok job at helping people if they ask for help.

6. "Great Summer Program"

Former Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Really fun events
    - Lots of flexibility to work with practice groups
    - awesome international options

Cons

- Wish I could have gone more in-depth for some projects
    - felt like I didn't get to know my whole summer class with people coming/going all the time

Advice to Management

Focus on a way to lengthen the time the entire summer class is together and engaged in doing things.

7. "Great firm"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I have been working at Cleary Gottlieb part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been working 28 years. Always a great company

Cons

Nothing to report. Great firm

"Litigation Paralegal"

Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Washington, DC

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High Profile Cases, better than average pay, some of the big law perks trickle down to the paralegals

Cons

No work life balance. Associates are the only commodity of value. Paralegals are just smart, ambitious college grads that they run into the ground and replace.

Advice to Management

Care for your employees and you wouldn't have so much burnout, resentment, and turnover

"Professional Staff Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cleary Gottlieb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, unique training sessions. Work life balance is excellent. The pay is very good but that's almost a con in a way because it makes you stay there longer than you should.

Cons

I would not recommend this firm as a member of the professional staff. Morale doesn't exist and the environment is filled with employees who are very agitated, bitter, and dissatisfied. There have been constant restructurings and that hasn't helped the situation. Expect to be treated as a second-class employee: egos are very big (and fragile) here. Also, this firm is not internally innovative or modern. Very mundane and boring work as a member of the professional staff, no advancement opportunity.

Advice to Management

This is not the kind of management that would consider advice given from their employees, so I have no advice for them.

10. "Not a bad first job (litigation paralegal)"

Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY

I have been working at Cleary Gottlieb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great first job - there is a lot of support and understanding for the steep learning curve of a litigation paralegal's responsibilities; you can have the opportunity to work with intelligent, highly respected individuals; the pay and compensation is admirable; if you are lucky, you can get some very interesting cases and have the opportunity to perform substantive tasks

Cons

The work is, for the most part, administrative; the hours can be insane (3 am night happen) and often you are obligated to stay late without prior warning; there is very very little opportunity for mobility without a law degree

Advice to Management

Just because someone is straight out of college does not necessarily mean that they need to be micromanaged. Find ways for paralegals to be more integrated into their cases and perhaps create an opportunity for upward mobility for those who decide to stay and not go to law school.

11. "New York"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Cleary Gottlieb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice offices. Good people and environment.

Cons

Hard work - but that's biglaw