Cleo Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Mahesh Rajasekharan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Read the fine print!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Cleo Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, people, and working environment

Cons

Benefits have a "fine print" caveat emptor. Sick time is misleading. *IF* you have *ANY* scheduled procedure, that, as well as recovery time, is taken out of your Vacation bank. You may end up in the ER due to something (which is covered) but the "fix" (surgery/recovery, PT, etc) which is "scheduled" is taken out of your Vacation bank. This is the *ONLY* company I worked for in decades that does this.

Advice to Management

Change the policy taking "scheduled" medical procedures out of the vacation requirement. Vacation is to recharge oneself, relax, and a break from work. You're technically denying that by requiring vacation to be taken to recover from an injury/illness. Recently there was a post regarding an employee for another company who took sick leave for a "mental health"break from work. Her CEO replied back that was "great" and set forth an encouragement for other employees.

Will CLEO start accepting that as a valid "sick day" to make up for loosing vacation time to "sick time/planned proceedures"?

"Smoke and Mirrors- Lots of Politics"

I worked at Cleo Communications full-time

Pros

Lots of smart people at Cleo. Good place to learn and be challenged.

Cons

CEO use's beat down tactics and set people up for failure. Lots of crabby people. No other software companies in Rockford so upper management has everyone thinking Cleo's the best thing since Google.

Few greedy sales and marketing executives run the company with no regard for any department besides their own, they are master manipulators and use inflated metrics to justify their shady tactics. They hide any information (features they don't have- unsupported systems) until the deal is closed then throw it over the fence and it’s tag your it engineering and support - figure it out. No one can keep them honest and the owner always back them. This has created a toxic environment where people don’t work together.

Most of the positive review are from Human Resources.

Advice to Management

If people are unhappy, quitting left and right, and everything is in chaos do something about it. No amount of snacks and ice cream can cover the fact that there are huge issues looming in the foundation of the company. Upper Management needs to stop blowing smoke and address the issues and stop kidding themselves.

3. "Growing fast in a growing market!"

Current Employee - Senior Acct Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Acct Manager

I have been working at Cleo Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cleo has a strong pedigree and great customer base to leverage. Each day is a challenge but you can be confident you are helping customers and don't have to feel like a used car salesman.

Cons

Spread thin during massive growth. Scaling some departments is a challenge and to operationalize an organization after a major acquisitions (EXTOL) is tricky to align new responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Focus on bringing in top talent from colleges & universities around the area. Great to have Sr staff that are industry experts but Cleo shouldn't be afraid to invest in top level collegiate talent.

"Great agile engineering department with questionable corporate leadership"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Loves Park, IL
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Loves Park, IL

I worked at Cleo Communications (More than a year)

Pros

I can mostly speak to the engineering department, a great bunch of people there. There are a few subject matter experts who are fixtures and get away with some negative behavior, but overall it's a good environment where you can grow very quickly and learn some dynamic skill sets. During my time at Cleo they were beginning to transition to agile methodologies and it appeared to have been a good fit for the department.

Cons

Nearly no on-boarding at all. You are left to your own devices when learning the companies platform and work flow. It's a sink or swim proposition but if you survive, you come out stronger. Also, there's definitely a cultural clash between the newly agile Engineering department and the rest of the company which operates in a very traditional "corporate" fashion.

Advice to Management

I would make sure you value your hard working employees and constantly enforce how important they are through real incentives because there's a lot of amazing people I met at Cleo that other companies would love to snatch up. Lip service isn't enough when someone gives up a weekend and their nights to ensure a release gets out on time.

"Fun - Modern"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Cleo Communications (More than a year)

Pros

100% remote position and flexible hours make this a perfect position for the modern work/life balance. Company is stable and growing at an impressive pace.

Cons

We work hard... harder than almost any comparable company that I've heard of. More 18-20hour days and lost weekends than I care to think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Meetings cut into productivity. Provide a meal stipend to remote employees and those in the Chicago office who miss out on the catered meals.

"Run..."

I worked at Cleo Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a small company with strong technology out of Rockford, IL with a tight senior management team.
    They hire a lot of support, customer support staff and sales people.
    They are very metrics driven.

Cons

The turn over within the sales team and support staff is high even for a software vendor.
    The local staff are very much "trapped" as they are based in Rockford - not the best place to find the next software company to work from. Job Mobility is impossible within that region - the management understands this and that can be detrimental to the employee.
    They are very metrics driven.

Advice to Management

Learn from mistakes. Look at senior leadership to be just that; and if there are consistent issues with staff turn over, make the appropriate changes to the leadership as that may be the issue.

"I found my place!"

I have been working at Cleo Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

Cleo is a high energy company that has been around for many years, but "rebooted" with new ownership about three years ago. During my interview process, I met with many senior level executives and found their enthusiasm to be infectious. As a 20+ year software veteran, I've been careful about changing companies but after my series of interviews, I was convinced it was time to make my next career move to Cleo.

Cleo has the benefit of a legacy of products with a strong revenue stream and established customers combined, with the enthusiasm and energy of a startup! It's the best of both worlds. I've been here about six months and have found the culture to be extremely family oriented with transparency from top management downward. Everybody I work with is able to bring their views to the company at large and see their efforts impacting the company's success.

One major benefit of the Cleo culture is the way it embraces remote employees. A fair portion of the company telecommutes which means the company as a whole is accustomed to using group collaboration tools, some of which are developed internally,

Cons

The fast pace and startup culture may not be a good fit for everybody. The rapid employee expansion can make it challenging to keep up with new colleagues. The flexibility Cleo offers to its remote employees sometimes requires working outside the typical 9-5 scenario and that may not be for everybody. It's a fair trade to me though.

Advice to Management

I have no complaints thus far!

"Cleo"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Although declining, Cleo has a lot of loyal customers utilizing their secure data movement & integration software, VLTrader.

Cons

The new leadership/ownership, formerly of I2 fame, brought along with them a culture of bullying and ultra micro-management that first shows it's ugly head once you attend your first 3 day Quarterly Business Review (QBR) or their week long Boot Camp Sales Training. Finally, develop a true enterprise class software solution rather than repackaging an existing one only to market it under a different name in order to increase the software license fees of your current and potential customers.

Advice to Management

Just because certain management tactics were used while with I2 it doesn't mean it's an ethical way to treat employees. Also, while trying to convince potential employees to join Cleo stop preaching about having a healthy work/life balance when the reality is Cleo Mgt will call, e-mail, or text employees 24X7, including on Holidays.

"Great company to take you to the next level"

I have been working at Cleo Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative leadership and continuous learning environment. Great team of people who give 150% and want to be part of a growing, dynamic company. Excellent benefits and time off policies including flex time. Comprehensive training program for new sales team members. Growing company committed to superior products and customer service.

Cons

If you want to fly under the radar and relax at this point in your career, the fast pace and accountability may not be a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the company and people. Hire more A+ talent like you have done.

"Staring again - in hyper drive!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Cleo Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Massive changes have swept through Cleo; the executive team is fiercely committed and engaged to no end. Everyone is firmly committed to the success of each other thus the company. From sales to development to support and everything in-between, there are no big egos there is though a confirmed sense of care and engagement and above all else camaraderie.

Cons

The company is growing very quickly, more than doubled in less than a year and no end in sight to this trajectory. This causes some confusion despite being kept informed and well advised.

Advice to Management

The Cleo family is engaged, we are happily giving the company our best and all. We need to find a way to have a bit more work/life balance and be compensated better for our efforts, it's not bad today, but it could be better.