Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi Chief Executive Officer Rakesh Suri
Rakesh Suri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I was so excited when I got the job four years ago, and I still am always proud to say I'm a caregiver at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi" (in 6 reviews)

• "Plenty of opportunities to network with world class professionals both within and outside of CCAD" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of structure in HR and across the organization" (in 3 reviews)

• "Working environment especially for UAE nationals is not healthy" (in 4 reviews)

"Great"

Current Employee - ER SCRIBE
    Current Employee - ER SCRIBE

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi part-time

Pros

Great hriing. Interview. Customer. People

Cons

Nothing to be said..

"Hospital or Hotel?"

I worked at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi full-time

Pros

Amazing architecture
    Sparkling clean everything
    State of the art equipment in many areas

Cons

One of the most disheartening things about working at CCAD is that there is the constant “elephant in the room” that they follow the practice of the UAE where employees are compensated according to their passport . So two employees doing the same job with identical experience and education could literally be making 50% of the other depending on where they originated from. One example that I saw more than once was there was a Filipino nurse that I knew there that had been working in the United Kingdom and came to CCAD, and she was criticized and ostracized by other Filipino employees because she made a much much higher salary than them, even though they both had trained at the same place in the Philippines.
    Another problem I see if this place is that there are policies that are put into place but not enforced.
      Even though this is a hospital, the local population have decided to use it for their long-term nursing home needs. So they would probably brag that they take care of their elderly population, that they don’t believe in nursing homes but yet they would admit their family to a hospital for literally years - is the dirty little secret that the hospital has lots and lots and lots of patients that have literally been there for a year or years. This is obviously not a prudent use of Mubadalas resources

Advice to Management

You were told in orientation that you need to be flexible because this is a new hospital and they are still trying to find their way so you should be flexible and patient . There is a difference between being flexible and having a constant barrage of knee-jerk reflexes that are causing policies and procedures. It was very common for us to run out of basic supplies that we required for our job yet we all chuckle because we have monogrammed bath towels and personalized bottles of water
    I realize the hospital was founded to reduce the number of Emeratis traveling abroad to seek medical care. But you have created a culture where the patients come into the facility and expect to dictate their care . Any medical professional worth their salt will advocate for their patient to be a big part of their treatment; however, that is different then people arriving at your hospital with a list that they have procured from Google of the lab test they would like to have today on a whim, or the surgery or expensive radiology procedure they just decided that they would like to have . It is very common for patients to come in to CCAD saying I was advised to two years ( or five years or whatever) ago that I needed to have gallbladder surgery for example or that I have a chronic problem with my wrist and I decided I wanted to have that surgery now even though it might be a weekend at night. They become very irate that we do not facilitate this request
    Also I think it is very important to hire locals or Emeritas into employment positions but they must be held to the same standards: it is a well-known fact that many many locals clock in and then get back in their car and go home and never work, or if they are at the hospital on duty you cannot find them. They walk over to galleria mall and have a coffee or go shopping

"Physician"

I worked at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi full-time

Pros

Beautiful facility with state of the art equipment. Great colleagues and friendly staff.

Cons

There are very little opportunities for women. Hardly any women in key positions even though its a 5000 employee company. Also salaries are 25% less than male. Its 2018 and still we have a significant difference in pay notwithstanding world recognized Women Physicians.

Advice to Management

Diversify King Arthur and the Round Table

"Silence is Golden, I have stayed silent for too long. Run the other way."

I worked at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lets start with the true Pros.
    The mix of lots of cultures that we can be learning from and Caregivers who generally care.
    The optimism of Mubadala to bring "World Class Care" to ta great country and people.
    Work/Life balance and time off.
    Benefits, though some expats get less than others because of ethnicity.
    Now for some real Pros.
    The current scripted 4 and 5 star reviews, (probably forced by the CEO/Suri., with the "No organization is perfect."
    Stellar covering up of corruption.

Cons

Silence is Golden, because if you speak up about flaws, corruption or bullying, you are targeted. Under Dr. Marc Harrison, CCAD was on the right track. Dr. Harrison had empathy and vision. Then Dr. Mihaljevic took over and it seemed as if things would progress. Then the infamous CHRO came in (aka, the henchman) and well, all hell broke loose. When the henchman came in, it was all about numbers and bringing in U.A.E. Nationals to fill potions. Though I truly appreciate Emiratization, the way the "Henchman" went about it, only caused animosity in the whole organization, with Expats and qualified hardworking U.A.E. Nationals . Starting with replacing most of the Medical Secretaries that were very well qualified with staff that were forced into these positions with no experience (I was waiting for an appointment and a secretary asked me to help her set up a meeting in outlook!) or did not care about advancing their careers (who didn't want to be bothered with collecting the Dr. Jackets, as that was beneath them) Then they went after well qualified Expats in all positions or those who were not silent. Morale went downhill rapidly from there, but in many departments you were forced/coached to put high marks to bring up engagement scores. It was an actual joke, when one of the leaders won an award for bringing up engagement scores. It was joked they were "torture scores ". Around the same time the CHRO came aboard, the Chief of Staff also took charge. It was deafening, the bullying and low morale of Doctors. It seemed there was a mass exodus of MD's leaving once contracts were up. Under-Qualified "Associates", were brought in and some specialty MD's were taking on GP cases.
    One of your most important duties as an organization, is making your employees feel valued, this did not happen. Only felt disposable. Now they are planning on expanding and building, I hate to see who comes into these positions. No growth potential, or learning, as they have cut most of that out, as well as team building. I gave two stars, because I know there is truly caring staff that still presides in the walls.

Advice to Management

CCF/Mubadala need to turn that ship around. Give the UAE what it deserves a "World Class" Hospital with Wold Class Caregivers, Get rid of current CEO and learn to value your qualified caregivers.

"What once was no longer is.."

Pros

The dream we all had when we joined and individual physicians, legends, many of whom have left already.

Cons

The dream crumbled when the new leadership took over, forcing the hospital’s values to take a back seat while they (he, really) does the shady business. Many things make absolutely no sense. People working around him and effectively calling the shots at the hospital have absolutely no business doing so other than kissing up to the higher-ups.

Advice to Management

Mubadala and CCF, the guardians of the dream, were and will always hopefully be visionaries and true leaders. Here’s hoping the take a closer look at what’s going on behind them closed curtains.

"Application Specialist"

I worked at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues with a vision of quality and innovation.

Cons

Decrease in leadership integrity and focus obscured to producing numbers instead of quality.

Advice to Management

Replace leadership / management with qualified visionaries.

"Word is already out"

I worked at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're lazy, inept management will not notice.

If you like to gossip, you are in paradise

If you don't know how to do the job you are hired/promotes for, just laugh at the boss's jokes and you will be fine. You are allowed to put the patient in danger by performing tasks out of your scope of practice to stroke your own personal ego.

If you're a suck up who failed at your previous job(s), you can erase the past, lie on your linked in profile, and become an Assistant Manager.

Cons

Where do I begin?

They will hire you for a position, bring you halfway across the world, and a month into your start date. Then put you in a different position and tell you "sorry you were mis-informed."

Many Western administration personnel are not qualified for their positions.

They have chased out many good Western nurses. There are a few great nurses that have stuck around, but mostly bunch of spineless "yes doctor/yes boss" nurses.

Informatics department is a joke. Electronic charting is full of errors and much more complicated than it needs to be.

They leave fake reviews to better their score.

Advice to Management

Wake up...realize that your expats in C-Suite are ripping you off. You have lost a lot of money bringing good nurses over, only to have them leave frustrated. Listen to the complaints from the staff in the trenches. It's not a coincidence that hundreds complain on your surveys and your Glassdoor rating is low. Good caregivers do not like dishonest, lazy managers. They will continue to leave.

"rn cm"

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi full-time

Pros

beautiful, supreme, efficient, prime, whatever

Cons

7000 miles. away from family, hot,expensive, far

9. "Senior Specialist"

I have been working at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi full-time

Pros

Great people and benefits, such as salaries and expat packages.

Cons

Horrible culture, vision and leadership.

"Poor GI leadership management and poor treatment of Board certified consultants"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi full-time

Pros

Carries the name of parent company in US

Cons

Poor leadership in both GI, DDI and CCAD. Unfair and built-in prejudice treatment of GI consultants. Poor utilization of resources by one side of Institute over the other side.

Advice to Management

Seperate GI under Medicine Institute away from surgery and provide adequate resources. Sad state to the most productive unit in the organization. Very low engagement scores. No GI leadership.