Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Kids are great!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Teacher in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Children @ CLeveland heights-University heights are great! Most parents cooperate in their children education. Some administrators lack experience and preparation

Cons

Some administrators... specially in the smaller schools

Advice to Management

Respect and appreciate the teachers, you have some of the very best! Other districts are always reaching out to hire them

2. "Administrators are VERY unprepared and fail to do their job"

Current Employee - Teacher in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Teacher in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District full-time

Pros

Kids are great, teachers are some of the best!

Cons

Administrators are chosen for god knows what reasons, because they are inexperienced, lack knowledge, and their supervisors or mentors are bad, so it’s horrible to work under them

Advice to Management

Learn to listen, to the teachers, learn to do schedules that are efficient, and beneficial to students performance

3. "adminstrative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good sick leave, medical benefits

Cons

workload over 40 hours a week

Advice to Management

pay employee what their worth

"High School Teacher"

Former Employee - High School Teacher in Cleveland Heights, OH
    Former Employee - High School Teacher in Cleveland Heights, OH

I worked at Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They had an Amazing Healthcare Plan, 100% coverage of everything and small monthly payments. There are some really dedicated teachers to work with. The union is supportive and active.

Cons

Not a lot of support from school principals, I think they are just over worked and not able to provide the real support that is needed. The lack of motivation and general attitude of some of the students was difficult to deal with. Some of the teachers were not helpful or friendly, when I expressed my opinion or asked for advice I, believe it or not, got made fun of by grown adults. We were forced to work in groups to "plan" and evaluate a class we were all teaching together on a weekly basis. this was a complete waste of time, no one took it seriously in my group. Honestly, I am not sure if I have a thick enough skin for teaching in this environment which may have led to my severely negative experience.

Advice to Management

You need to find a way to deal with severely disruptive or students that need A LOT more help and are learning nothing in class in a better manner. I had a student that needed to be on an IEP and should not have been in my class or needed accommodations at least the ENTIRE year, even after I brought up the issue at the beginning of the year. There were a few meetings about him, but for the entire year he wasted his time in my class and by the end was hugely disruptive. I felt so sad that nothing was done when we all knew there was a problem.

5. "Admin does not support teachers. District is racist"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Willoughby, OH
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Willoughby, OH

I worked at Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The teachers work very hard in the classroom, rarely supported by administration. Pay is above average, but not worth the stress

Cons

Principals are always picking apart staff. HR is on a power trip.. expectations are unreasonable and staff is under appreciated

Advice to Management

HR is overbearing

6. "English teacher"

Former Employee - High School English Teacher in Cleveland Heights, OH
    Former Employee - High School English Teacher in Cleveland Heights, OH

Pros

PLC's, students and colleagues, PTA, teaching

Cons

Much emphasis on testing and not in teaching core curriculum

Advice to Management

Balance is key

7. "Great"

Pros

Busy and fulfilling. I like the patrons.

Cons

Flexibility, late nights and week ends

8. "Very Stressful"

I worked at Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District full-time

Pros

The pay for teachers at CHUH is competitive. There is administrative support for meaningful professional development opportunities like leave for fellowships and grants.

Cons

The environment is chaotic and dangerous. The lack of control over the student body leaves teachers vulnerable. Parents have an unhealthy level of control over administrators.

9. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Educator in Shaker Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Educator in Shaker Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District (More than a year)

Pros

I think there is a lot of possibility for improvement. There is a lot of room for creativity in encouraging an interest in learning. I enjoy creating that spark in students, which usually causes an interest in learning.

Cons

Contemporary education in many of our school systems has become challenging, but it is definitely worth the effort. Most students require discipline, so that they can learn. Without it, nobody can learn and grow.

Advice to Management

Schools in Cleveland Heights need structure and discipline. They will not improve without it.

10. "Math Teacher"

Former Employee - Math Teacher in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Math Teacher in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Pros

Large school system. Independent schools within one high school. Each school had a different focus: Engineering, The Arts, Science, Etc. Benefits. Pay.

Cons

The administration. Was told that my principal usually doesn't hire people as old as I am.

Advice to Management

Keep a chain on your principals. Some have huge ego issues.