Clevertech Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2020

4.0
Clevertech Founder Kuty Shalev (no image)
Kuty Shalev
Pros
  • "Remote work -- is always a plus to work from whenever you want in the world(in 25 reviews)

• "You get to work on really interesting projects(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "this is not a con of CT itself, but of the remote work style(in 19 reviews)

• "Every employee is a B2B contractor, so there's no benefits(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Years in, still loving it"

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Holyoke, MA

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Fully remote-first -- the company is built from the ground up to support remote workers * Lots of special events to reward developers * Lots of training events, especially leadership and skill-sharing * Flexible schedules (varies by project) * Value-driven as opposed to politics driven -- if you're delivering value for the client, you're doing a good job. * Awesome projects -- not simply a WordPress or Drupal mill. Clevertech builds and maintains enterprise-grade web applications from the ground up with expert full-stack developers. * Easy communication channels with management

Cons

* Less structure than an in-office sort-of-deal * Less hand-holding. You're expected to know your stuff and to ask lots of questions

Continue reading
  2. "Freedom, mastery, and purpose"

Former Employee - Technical Lead

I worked at Clevertech full-time for more than a year

Pros

CT is a great place to work. Lots of smart people; super low overhead; candid feedback.

Cons

Career path fuzzy. Communication with management not the best.

"Flexible, but Terribly Managed"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible hours and a diverse team

Cons

- You never know when you will be fired (CTO randomly fires people) - Projects are managed poorly - Main CTO does not care, rushes conversations with team members and clients - You are paid as a contractor, but treated like an employee with low benefits - Devops is pretty poor

June 17, 2020Founder

Thanks for your feedback. We are proud to have satisfied clients and projects with us for many years. I'm sorry to hear that you had a situation where a project did not go the way you expected. I'm glad to hear that the flexible hours and diverse team was beneficial to you.

4. "Never work here if you have options"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for more than a year

Pros

CT hires highly competent people. Most projects are ambitious and cool. Minimal contact with the owners (they don't even know people's names!)

Cons

The worst employer I've ever had - they poise themselves as a company, but only so people don't think of them as a short-term gig consultancy - which is what they are. Projects are severely understaffed, lack DevOps infrastructure to scale, and do not have dedicated design / product / QA staff. Turnover is incredibly high due to low compensation and the lack of insulation between engineers and the client. There's a lot of pivoting (even for an agency), which makes 1 week sprints difficult and burns most employees out. Few last over 6 months. Terrible compensation and no benefits. Blame culture is highly prevalent here and the owners come across as sociopaths. You're a cog in a wheel, without technical oversight. US: CT does corp-to-corp only to avoid liability, meaning you'll have to create your own company and pay more in taxes (~15%). No unemployment insurance which is a big deal because great people are fired ALL the time. International: You practically need 6-8 hours of overlap time, no "flex" like CT may claim. Many of my colleagues started working at 2/3am local time.

"Stay away"

1.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Clevertech full-time

Pros

If you need to be remote and have no other options, then maybe this would be a good fit.

Cons

Pay and benefits are atrocious. Overtime is common - every week is like a hackathon. No clear career trajectory or room for professional growth. Micromanagement. Need I say more?

June 17, 2020Founder

Thanks for your feedback. Our standard is to work eight hour days so I'm sorry to hear that you had a situation where you put in so much overtime. The growth at Clevertech happens by taking more responsibility on projects and being exposed to new technologies regularly. I'm glad to hear that remote was a benefit to you.

"Remote First, Interesting Work, Great Culture, Great People, Fast-Paced"

Current Employee - Human Resources and Recruiting Specialist in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Clevertech is an amazing company. They are always innovating their process and are unique in the way they approach their work. They care deeply about what they do and the people they do it with. I first found Clevertech through needing a remote job, and I am so glad I did! They value culture and they value being masters at what they do. I did not think it was possible for work to be this engaging, challenging, and fast-paced and I love that! I would highly encourage anyone to apply!

Cons

I would say that you need to be someone who enjoys a fast-paced work environment to thrive here, and you also need to be someone who enjoys working hard at what you do. They also typically pay less than other companies who hire a traditional workforce but this is because there are many advantages financially to being remote such as not having to live downtown or pay for a commute, etc.

"It's a job that pays on time"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Clevertech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work remotely with little technical oversight.

Cons

You're just a cog in a never-ending wheel of over-demanding clients. The clientele is looking for bargain pricing on engineering work, and they get what they pay for.

"Freelance agency style"

Current Employee - Senior Full Stack Developer

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for more than a year

Pros

- remote work - quality projects with interesting tech - great for people accustomed to freelancing: no need to seek out clients - competent and experienced folks on staff if you can find them on slack

Cons

- teams work in silos - basically working as temps, little connection to overall organization - need to set up a business for the business to business relationship - you won't feel like an employee; more like you're working for an agency

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Junior Product Analyst in Remote, OR

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, great atmosphere for remote employees, positivity, skilled coworkers, nice perks, rapidly growing

Cons

So far the pros outweigh any cons by a landslide. No need to even mention any!

June 3, 2019

Our whole team really sets the tone for welcoming new employees and creating such an awesome company culture! We're grateful to have you as a part of it!

"Excellent Product Analyst Experience"

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Clevertech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fully remote, autonomy, trust, great perks, culture

Cons

Remote can be challenging for some

June 3, 2019

So grateful for our growing product analyst dream team! Our developers always have great things to say about the input and collaboration they receive from the "product people." Thanks for helping us put our best work out there!

Found 81 reviews