Close to My Heart Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeanette Romero Lynton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Felt like a peon"

I worked at Close to My Heart full-time

Pros

The company is very family oriented and takes the safety of employees seriously. They've been known to close for the day so employees don't drive in dangerous conditions.

Family is a top priority. They will accommodate if you have a sick family member. I've seen people get their own office after having a baby so they can bring their baby to work and have privacy.

Cons

Bullying - The CCO only cares about those that she is good friends with. She is a good friend of the CEO, and was handed her position. All the CCO and CFO do is go on vacations and attend conventions. The only work I've seen them do it appear in product/announcement videos.

You are spoiled if you're a favorite. $5k-30k holiday bonuses depending on how loved you are. Taxes paid by the company. Peons get around $100 in an envelope and get told how amazing they are. Favorites get top of the line computers (which collect dust since they don't do anything anyway).

It can get pretty frustrating.

Advice to Management

Recognize employees for their hard work. The Directors of each department get all the credit for what their team does.

Also, the CCO needs to be taken down a notch. She is very full of herself and isn't very nice

2. "Bullying Indeed!"

Former Employee - Design in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Design in Provo, UT

Pros

The great employees that work there! The fantastic Consultants the employees work so hard for. The friendships that are forged despite the negative atmosphere.

Cons

The upper management! The previous review that cites bullying as a con is completely accurate. The CCO in paticular is the worst, a "mean girl" to the core! Unfortunately, the other members of upper management won't stand up to her despite complaints from those in lower ranks. During the recent layoffs, those of us that were not part of her entourage were the first to go!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CCO if you don't want to continue to lose great employees from your already small team. Shouldn't it be a sign that people who had been there for years are suddenly leaving their jobs?

3. "Highlight of My Career"

Former Employee - Marketing Communications in Pleasant Grove, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications in Pleasant Grove, UT

I worked at Close to My Heart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creative, collaborative culture where you can hear people laughing and talking in the hallways. Lots of challenge and opportunity for people willing to take on tasks outside of their job description.

Cons

Sometimes information doesn't trickle down from top management. The industry itself is getting smaller, which makes budgets tight and the future less certain.

Advice to Management

Simplify the product mix, do more e-commerce, let go of some things that are "traditions" or "we've always done it this way" to stay needed for the future.

"So Much Nepotism & Bullying"

I have been working at Close to My Heart full-time

Pros

Some amazing people that are super smart.

Cons

The executive team chooses not to listen to the smart people in the trenches. The CCO promotes her friends and only keeps people around who will give her compliments and make her feel important. It is a toxic work environment rife with nepotism and bullying.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees.

"Terrible Benefits and Salaries for Peons"

I worked at Close to My Heart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Calm work environment. Great coworkers. People working here are very talented and nice to work with.

Cons

The Founder needs to let go of the company and let it thrive. She has her hands in to much and it holds it back. Having her best friends as VPs is even worse. If you upset them for any reason, you're fired. VPs get $30k bonuses, which is more than 90% of the employees make in a year. Management gets $3-15k bonuses. Regular employees maybe get $100 at Christmas. Salaries are low, and the company would rather fire talented employees who are worth more money, and then hire untalented people willing to take less.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Give them real benefit packages. When I worked here, birth control wasn't covered because they grandfathered their benefits in so they wouldn't have to pay for it since it's so out of the founder's religion.

"Employees aren't valued and CEO is holding the company back"

Former Employee - Marketing & Communications Specialist in Pleasant Grove, UT

I worked at Close to My Heart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of smart people you can learn from. Many talented employees work at Close To My Heart...until they are fired because they have too much experience to compensate appropriately.

Cons

CTMH tends to fire people who rise in the ranks, preferring to hire inexpensive employees rather than nurturing talent. Benefits packages are low, as is compensation. Additionally, CEO Jeanettte Lynton is not only too conservative, but also too hands-on to encourage growth.

Advice to Management

Let your talented employees lead the company into a new future. Invest in and keep those employees who are experts in the field.

7. "Independent Consultant"

Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Mill Creek, WA
    Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Mill Creek, WA

I have been working at Close to My Heart part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love that you work at your pace and its very flexible.

Cons

I don't see any challenges

8. "A terrible place to work, despite the great employees"

Former Employee - Marketing & Communications Specialist in Pleasant Grove, UT

I worked at Close to My Heart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Somehow, CTMH manages to hire brilliant, fun, knowledgeable people. I took great pleasure in knowing people all around the company, and I learned a ton from all of them.

Cons

Compensation was universally low, in part because whenever someone did well enough to be promoted or deserve a raise, management would lay them off and hire someone cheaper. Time and time again, I saw them let go their best people. The ones who remained would be forced to shoulder the burden, and I witnessed incredibly high stress levels among lower management as well as the workers in general. Additionally, the CEO, Jeanatte Lynton, was paranoid about intellectual property and obsessed with controlling even the tiniest details. This affected all aspects of the company culture, as there was never any trust extended, and everything was slowed by a web of approvals. Innovation was stifled by her extreme conservatism. Additionally, it made it difficult, if not impossible, to move to today's paradigm of intellectual property--give lots away for free so that when people are ready to buy, they'll buy from you. No matter how much money I were offered, I would never work there again (even though I learned so much from working there!), because the culture was stultifying and I never felt truly valued--while lip service was paid to employee appreciation, it was never shown in the places it counted: trust and salary.

Advice to Management

Jeanette's system of nepotism and her insistence in micromanagement is stifling the company. As long as she insists on keeping her best friend in power, the company will be in shackles. And as long as she insists that everything stay the same, it will never adapt to today's business world. Keep hiring great people, but instead of firing them or ignoring them, listen to them and allow them to advance within the company.

9. "Join my team on CTMH to join your future"

I have been working at Close to My Heart part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Independent consultants can work business at own pace

Cons

Nothing negative to report for CTMH

"Non inspiring"

I worked at Close to My Heart full-time

Pros

Good people to work with but hard to stay motivated

Cons

Poor management that shows no interest in employee growth and rewarding hard work