Clothes Mentor Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Employee discount was a nice bonus (in 7 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, kind staff, and a fun work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Literally NO room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• Literally no room for advancement (in 6 reviews)

1. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

Pros

I love working in fashion and working with people. I enjoyed my time helping people find the right style that is fit for them. My time working at Clothes Mentor was a friendly enjoyable environment.

Cons

I didn't particularly like the scheduling of management. At one time there would be too many managers on duty. One manager would say to do something and then another manager would ask why I did what I had done. Non communication between managers.

Advice to Management

Open communication is very important to employees, I want to be able to approach management at any time. A manager should also have great listening skills as well as a professional tone of voice with giving orders.

2. "Rock Hill Sc location"

I worked at Clothes Mentor part-time

Pros

Great co workers
    Closed at a decent time
    Managers were very flexible

Cons

Owners lack management skills
    Owners Never accepted responsibility for anything and blamed all the employees.
    Rude comments were made about former employees from owers to current employees

Advice to Management

Management did everything they could to ensure great work environment. Owners were terrible.

3. "Too High Expectation"

I worked at Clothes Mentor part-time

Pros

Small Business, I loved the people I worked with,

Cons

The boss was too hands off and had too high of an expectation on part -time employees

Advice to Management

Be more hands on and work with the employees to train them properly

5. "Hopeful Start; First and Only Job Walk-out; 33 yrs as Worker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coon Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coon Rapids, MN

I worked at Clothes Mentor part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Owners sell well to new employees, seem engaged. Loved co-workers, but none stayed long. Fun to work in fashion and engage customers. Great employee discount for field.

Cons

Complete management train wreck; study in Management 101 What Not to Do. Manipulation, good reviews followed by demotions within a month, co-workers leave in disgust, abject failure to understand staff motivation, basic pandemonium

Advice to Management

If you have to advise your managers to only hire people who are less intelligent and less experienced than themselves, this is the definition of ineptitude in management style and business plan. Work environments that are healthy can capitalize on experienced, sharp staff and keep them happy, which isn't rocket science if you're not unethical. You lost scads of invested, talented people, promoted based on something obviously other than performance (willingness to grovel and not ask questions, one wonders?), and for all the world appear to want this business to tank. In 33 years of employment, this is a textbook example of what I studied in college as "companies that do themselves in." Congratulations, gold star.

6. "Terrible pay"

I have been working at Clothes Mentor part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits of this job is that you are the first to see new inventory, you get an employee discount, and management is flexible with your schedule so it's okay for students picking up a part-time job.

Cons

My main complaint is the pay. Starting pay is 8.25 and you only get a .20 cent raise when you become a buyer/keyholder. Low retention rate for workers so get use to having new employees coming in and out. I also got the impression that the owner doesn't really like to invest in the store. She doesn't seem to like to replace broken equipment. Store seems to change management as well and store can get quite messy and workers are responsible for keeping it organize and clean every night.

Advice to Management

Try to keep schedules consistent and don't change people's schedules last minute or without consulting with your workers. Keep your employees happy and give them incentives to stay. .20 cent raise to be responsible of the store when manager isn't available is terrible. Hire people that will stay longer. Increasing starting pay would be a great help especially when you promote your workers to buyers/keyholders.

"Clothes Mentor Rock Hill"

Former Employee - Buyer/Cashier in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Buyer/Cashier in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Clothes Mentor part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers
    Great Manager
    Positive Environment
    Room for growth/raises

Cons

Low pay
    Not always enough people scheduled at one time for the amount of tasks that needed to get done
    Some negative experiences from meetings

Advice to Management

Everyone was so positive and it was a great experience...except some negative experiences from time to time. One of the negatives is some people act like employees don't know basic information because they are lazy. They're not lazy, its's just impossible to do all the tasks some people believe you need to be doing. All of the other employees are wonderful intelligent woman and some other people mansplain through meetings about putting clothes in order for rack maintenance when clearly we all can do those tasks. When some people speak it's a waste of time.

8. "Customer Service"

I worked at Clothes Mentor part-time

Pros

Short Hours, nice people, minimum wage

Cons

too many hours for a teen

9. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at Clothes Mentor part-time

Pros

Not a difficult job because they train you how to use the cash register and if needed, how to be a buyer. Their goal is to buy clothing that is very current in style and still in excellent condition. The store is like a treasure trove of great women's clothing. It is fun seeing all the new items come in, and many of the customers are regulars, very sweet and nice,

Cons

You have to restrain yourself from shopping a lot.

Advice to Management

Nothing, they are really great.

"Communication issues, lack of knowledge"

Former Employee - Buyer, Keyholder in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Buyer, Keyholder in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Clothes Mentor (More than a year)

Pros

It's cool to learn how to buy clothes at resale prices, you get interesting customers, and it's easy to move up (at this specific franchise location)

Cons

Managers and buyers had no knowledge of current trends or brand pricing and relied on internet searches to price items that they weren't sure of. Poor communication between management and staff, no trust between owner and staff.

Advice to Management

You hire your staff for a reason. Trust them, and they'll do their job. Hire competent salespeople who are knowledgeable about current brands and trends (that's what you're reselling, after all)

11. "Management is HORRIBLE"

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Buyer in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Buyer in Amherst, NY

I worked at Clothes Mentor part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get first dips on nice things that come in, but that only ends up with you putting your check back into the company

Cons

No training
    Hire teens for management (horrible)
    Work with snotty little girls
    No paid 15 minute break when working 8 hours or more, no rest periods other than 30 minute unpaid lunch
    No oversight of management whatsoever
    Schedules went up 2 days in advance
    Minimum wage
    No advancement
    Everything about this place is bad, unless you happen to find one employee who is nice. They're all catty, talk behind your back, type of girls

Advice to Management

GET NEW MANAGEMENT. Oversight is needed. Don't hire a little girl for a position that requires some sort of leadership skills and professionalism. Stop playing favorites. Give your employees rest periods. Act like adults.