Cloud Imperium Games Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Chris Roberts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "One of the best working experiences in the industry."

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Co-Workers feel like family
    - Excellent managers
    - Flexible time off and schedules
    - Clear expectations
    - Decent pay for work

Cons

- Crunch periods tend to be longer than should be

Advice to Management

Maybe evaluate crunch periods and see what can be done to make them shorter to achieve a better work/life balance.
    Keep it up with making us all feel like we're genuinely appreciated here, because it really shows and we appreciate it a lot.

"Great Start-up and Project!"

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is a gem in an otherwise dull landscape. They truly care about employees' health and well-being. I've read all of the other reviews on here and have no idea what company they were working for but it was not CIG. NO company is perfect, it is true. But they try their best under circumstances that other companies would collapse under.

They provide a great healthcare service. They are always looking for ways to show their appreciation to the employees. And they are some of the most understanding people when it comes to work/life balance.

Cons

Again, no company is perfect. They ask a lot of their employees but never more than they can give. You can see it in the eyes of the managers and executives.

They can ask for long hours sometimes but never to the detriment of an employee's health and sanity.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Never lose sight of the fact that the employees are what make this company so great.

Consolidate the employee service programs. It's just too many and it gets confusing. Also let us know about changes as soon as you can. Last minute changes or updates to policy and procedure can be stressful.

"Nice people but no idea what they wanted"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really cool company to work for and everyone wants to talk to you about it. Have some great equipment especially stuff donated from Amazon.

Cons

My job wasn't really needed at the stage in the project I was hired, and won't be needed for quite some time. My advise was taken but not listened to, and more senior people were posted above me from other departments with absolutely no history of networking - like art / marketing.

"Not the best place to work"

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time

Pros

Good benefits, cool tech, free snacks, neat people to work with

Cons

Lack of communication, unprofessionalism, lack of work/life balance. Not a lot of upward mobility. Drama.

5. "Great Internal Community"

Former Employee - QA Specialist in Bee Cave, TX
    Former Employee - QA Specialist in Bee Cave, TX

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a QA tester for a little over a year and a half, and during my time there they fostered communication, and supported me in expanding my skill set. There was a ton of opportunity to take on new roles, learn new things and transition into different disciplines.

Cons

The pace of development can sometimes feel a little slow.

Advice to Management

There were a few issues with the building the studio is housed in. Some AC problems that impacted workers that might have been addressed more quickly.

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time

Pros

team makes the company work

Cons

structure is lacking, minimal benefit

"Pretty toxic environment to be honest"

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time

Pros

Cool project. Talented people. Tasty snacks.

Cons

management is scattered and confused.

Advice to Management

put forth realistic goals for your devs. and dont kill them in the process

"Talented ppl for a mission impossible"

Current Employee - Programmer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with extremely strong and talented programmers

Cons

They no longer provide free junk food

Advice to Management

I want junk food for free!!!!

"Incredible place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEO and management who genuinely care about their employees. Great group of creative people. Excellent benefits and perks. Coming to work everyday here feels more like hanging out with friends than working, it is such a comfortable and creative environment, which allows people to really do their best work. This is easily one of the best gigs I have ever worked. Great employees who are all passionate about what they are doing. 5/5 stars!!

Cons

Sometimes the hours can be long, but that is to be expected. Having to deal with jealous failed game developers incessantly taking shots at our company on social media can be a bit fatiguing, but at the end of the day, we will have the last laugh.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!! The small things you do for us on a daily basis do not go unnoticed, and really help boost our motivation and performance.

"Mixed Emotions v.3"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

My peers are for the most part an inspiration to work with. The level of talent employed here is truly a blessing for CIG. This team has the ability to do great things. Some of the best people in the world work for this company. No question. Having a lot of Former Crytek folks working on the engine has shined a little bit of light on the limitations of the older engine. Top Notch folks indeed. Great to have them on board. Working thru the many technical issues can be challenging at times but often very rewarding as you will often learn something daily.

Plenty of netcode work to go around as well. Once our Single player game is pushed out, we will start pushing hard into making our current early access netcode into something much more viable.

Cons

If you are seeking a job with our company, there are some serious issues that you may have to contend with while working here. Below are some of them:

You might have to deal with some over zealous fans of the project both for and against. We have to be really careful as to what we say and where which is why a lot of us do not like attending functions or hanging out on social media websites. Certain fan groups are are at odds with each other and Employees are being caught in the middle having comments/discussions taken out of context. Its best to just ignore anything outside of the Official Forums and only let the authorized folks do the posting. Be sure to run public comments thru the Chain before posting a SME level discussion offsite. Many honest reviews of various things can often get attacked if it doesn't fit into somebodies narrative.

There are issues with promises made in the past causing trouble now. As we have a diverse set of public eyes on this project, a lot of people want their special something on day 1 and if/when that does/does not happen, there will either be great praise or a great outcry about failed promises. You should not take it personally if you are working on something that somebody doesn't like or is not happy that its not top priority.

You might also be asked to appear publicly on one of the many videos that are produced. As many of us are introverts, this might seem like a no-win situation as you wish to please your management but not wanting to be a public face.

It is not advised to rock the boat with this company. Due to the growing public frustrations, Senior Management is (as well they should be) getting tired of dealing with every small thing turning into a epic disaster as portrayed by some of the community.

Crunch times are real. And excruciating. Get used to working long hours.

The company is lacking strong leader to start defining hard choices for actual implementation. To date, this has more or less been a big wishlist of ideas that many folks seem to think will in fact be part of this game upon launch. We all know what happens when there are 100 things to work on not enough people.

Backers often question about the financials of the company due to the crowd funded nature of the project. Its best to just not even touch this with a 10 foot pole. The games terms of service account for this and when they will make financials public. Don't get trapped in a corner by "industry insiders" just asking for some water cooler talk. Your Job is not worth it. As was explained to me, it is "not our place to worry about financials, and just work on the tasks given to me". This is good advice. Also, just know that our marketing/public relations have already publicly stated that they have the crowd funding planned out 18 months in advance so there is nothing to worry about money wise.

Advice to Management

I believe we should make an official announcement as to what players should expect will actually be part of the game when the persistent universe goes live. This roadmap should be clearly defined and explained monthly as to the status of the systems. Information is currently too scattered with many external sites assuming things and us not exactly clarifying them. With all of the 10 for the "x" episodes and Media shows we produce, there is some outdated information that should be updated publicly so there is no confusion about something we added or cut after that video was created.

It is also advisable for senior management to make itself more accessible to its staff without feeling like there is a cloud over our heads. We would not want to start losing folks to rival companies soon.