Cover image for CloudLock

CloudLock

Is this your company?

CloudLock

Add a Review

CloudLock Employee Reviews about "israel"

Updated Aug 13, 2015

4.6
CloudLock CEO and Co-Founder Gil Zimmermann
Gil Zimmermann
Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Add a review It only takes a second to share your experience. Your information will always be anonymous.

The latest conversations about Tech

70 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "deadlines are often not met, sometimes there is so much going on that it's hard to on put the focus and attention that things deserve, compensation is less than market but other benefits to make up for it like workplace happiness(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "israel"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Energy, excitement, stress, great people, and hard work

Aug 13, 2015 - Software Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart, passionate people. The engineering team here is incredible. Cloudlock has done a great job of attracting some of the best talent in the area. I'm proud to be here. The engineering challenges are exciting. We have to both add new-ish tools (ansible, vagrant, docker, a bajillion AWS services) as well as deepen our control over and understanding of our core platform languages and tools (Linux, Python, Java, rabbit/celery, AngularJS, git). High throughput, low latency, and stability all while rolling out new features every week. It's obvious the upper management cares on a personal level about making CloudLock a cybersecurity leader as well as a top-notch place to work. They care about the employees and devote resources to making us happy, giving us a nice space to work in, expanding our offices, and being open about the state of the company and our competition, etc. I notice and appreciate all of these things. The company promotes the cloud as an enabler for all businesses, and walks the walk. You won't find an Exchange or Active Directory locked away in a server room. We don't even have a server room! Everything is cloud-hosted, from our HR/benefits, our email/calendar, all our servers. Management is open-minded about the responsible sharing of information, as I am doing here (I hope!). The open culture and social outreach is a big part of what motivated me to apply here in the first place.

Cons

I think being in any startup is inherently stressful -- there's constant pressure to move faster and one-up the competition, while balancing quality and avoiding mistakes. And we do make serious blunders from time to time. We need to do a better job of openly talking about the engineering and other mistakes we've made and what we're doing to fix problems going forward. Both the interview and new hire process were kind of disorganized. I think there's effort afoot to improve the new hire training. We could do a better job of standardizing the interview process and discussing/interviewing prospective hires. Managing code styles, deployment practices, releases, etc. over a dozen internal teams and repos and across at least four different timezones (US Eastern, UK, Israel, and Ukraine) is a challenge. Our codebase is already much too large for any one person to be able to know it all. And by the time she learned it, it would have doubled in size again. We need to work on standardizing code, QA, documentation, and releases across teams. Documentation is in many cases poor, outdated, or nonexistent.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Aggressively focused on improving

Apr 20, 2015 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've only worked at CloudLock for a short time, however I have enjoyed my tenure thus far. Probably the most pervasive attitude I get from management, other teams, and my coworkers is a desire to get better all the time. It seems that management knows the company's flaws, and actively works to improve them, not being afraid to hire new talent or try something new. Team members are consistently talking about how to improve the product, through features, fixes, or refactors. The singular focus on the product makes improving easier, and it is also refreshing, when compared to other companies that need to "pivot" or don't have a confident sense of core competencies. As a culture, there is a high focus on collaboration and community. The open floor plan and Macbook pros make collaborating around the office very easy, and the whiteboard-painted walls give people plenty of space to draw stuff out and brainstorm. A variety of collaboration tools make sharing and contributing very easy. Finally, asking for help is encouraged, and everyone is willing to answer questions/bounce ideas/provide feedback. I don't think I've been turned down or told to wait when asking for help. The soft perks of the company are great too. Free gym on premises, beer fridge, snacks, video games, ping pong and relaxed work-from-home/vacation policy all contribute to making it a pretty nice place to work.

Cons

We have satellite offices in the UK, Israel and Ukraine, and cross-location communication can be a bit tough, with both timezones and language barrier being occasionally difficult. In the Waltham office, we're split between two suites, which limits the cross-team collaboration, but there have been steps taken to address this issue. From an engineering side, there are some typical start-up, and even not-so-startup growing pains, like little documentation, some confusing noodle-y code, gaps in systems/infrastructure, etc. As I said previously, however, management knows about these and has taken steps to address those issues.

5 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the CloudLock team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A company with all the goods

Jun 4, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you ever wanted to work at a start-up with everything it needs to become a major success, this is the place. Management with vision, great people, minimum of office politics, and a growing and thriving business.

Cons

CloudLock teeters on the border between Agile and Chaotic. Priorities and plans tend to come in and out of focus, and sometimes decisions get made and unmade in what seem like circles. With development taking place in US, Israel, England, and Ukraine it can be difficult to coordinate things.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

CloudLock Response

Excellent feedback, we're doing more and more around self-selecting teams and celebrating their successes. We just had our April FedEx Days where we self-selected to split into teams to work on something we're excited about, with only one rule - you have to deliver something working. The results were awesome, two of our project are already in production and providing value to millions of users. With our crazy growth (57 new hires so far this year) one of our biggest focus areas is keeping communication channels open for everybody, it's still the same CloudLock it's always been, our collective growth is a direct factor of each of our individual growth milestones - Gil Zimmermann

Viewing 1 - 0 of 0 English Reviews