Cloudera Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Cloudera Chief Executive Officer Tom Reilly
Tom Reilly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good room for work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Cutting edge technology in the fast growing field of big data processing and analytics (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Definitely challenging when it comes to work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Growing pains as with any company that's expanded as quickly as Cloudera has, but management has done a good job of addressing those as they've arisen (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Outstanding Employer"

Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Genuine empowerment of employees, be prepared to use your initiative, take control and run your own business franchise.

Cons

The pace is breathtaking, time management and prioritisation tough - everyone wants to talk to Cloudera!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work - the Exec team here is one of the best in the industry. Take care not to lose the culture, pace and agility as the rapid growth continues. Keep making smart acquisitions and integrate and monetise quickly.

"Inspiring leadership and a world-class engineering team trying to change the world one petabyte at a time!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

In engineering, the scope is broad and there are many opportunities for responsibility, working in open source, presenting at conferences, and occasionally interacting with customers big-and-small directly. Not only is the technical team is world-class (many phds/abd's), the folks have strong communication skills, public personalities, and dedciated to getting it done.

Cons

The aren't very many opportunities for straight-out-of-undergrad junior engineering folks currently. Those who have joined straight out of undergrad have generally spent a summer as an intern, or have demonstrated skill by being active in relevant open source projects.

"Best place I've ever worked!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good software engineers have lots of great places to work these days. Cloudera is definitely one of them. The engineering culture is extremely strong and there is a strong emphasis on remaining an independent company.

Cons

I don't consider this a con, but you might. Cloudera doesn't waste money on things like in house bands, chef prepared lunches, flying the whole company somewhere, etc that you see from other startups.

Advice to Management

More moonshots please!

"Once in a lifetime career experience!"

Former Employee - Marketing in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was the best job I ever had. I was so sad to leave but I was offered an amazing opportunity; an opportunity I would not have received had I not worked at Cloudera.

The people there are top-notch. They value their role in the company and everyone is so proud of the accomplishments that Cloudera makes. It truly is a team and they genuinely care for one another. Smart people doing amazing things.

Don't believe the bitter grapes you hear about this place. I'm a former employee and I LOVE Cloudera. If you put in high quality work, you're rewarded. Bad managers exist but the team I was on was blessed to have an amazing leader.

The culture is amazing. Free lunch, three weeks of PTO, etc. It's constantly improving. They really listen to employee feedback and try really hard to improve what you suggest.

There is a line out the door to work at this place. It's really a special place to work and I'll miss them dearly. If you get the chance to work here, do it.

Cons

A startup growing up VERY quickly and becoming a bigger company. There will be growing pains but they roll through the punches.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. From the day I joined to the day I left, the company was growing in leaps and bounds so they're doing something right.

"Experience of a lifetime"

Current Employee - Sales Management in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Management in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible culture, smartest people in the idustry, product thats changing the world (curing cancer, feeding the world, fighting fraud, etc), revenue growth second to no other company in the valley

Cons

management is not frivolous with money in the same some other startups are so no ipads for christmas, lavish parties, etc. Highly competitive market, very complex product. Hard to retain top talent given how hot big data is; cloudera is rarely the highest bidder from a comp perspective and does not have a great equity program.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the amazing culture...

"Best Place to work in all of Silicon Valley!"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Arguably the hottest company in the hottest space within all of enterprise tech
    - Smartest people you will ever meet work here. Just take a quick look at leadership board on the website!
    - Unmatched opportunity within Sales Org, growing at an amazing pace
    - Fast paced sales environment, no corporate hierarchy or bureaucracy to deal with that you would see at an Oracle type company
    - Best office perks around- laptop, amazing office locations, fully catered meals

Cons

Not enough time in the day! You could also say its hard to retain all the top talent considering how hot the market is. Comp structure could be a bit more competitive as well but considering Cloudera has the pick of the litter it makes sense they may not always be the highest bidder...

Advice to Management

Keep investing in RnD as well as the culture of the company. Don't let it fade as growth continues at such rapid rates.

"Sr Solution Architect"

Current Employee - Senior Solution Architect in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Architect in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Easily one of the best companies I’ve ever worked at
    - They try very hard to reward out standing work
    - Leadership is smart
    - All about personal development and growth
    - Well funded
    - Get to work with 100s of assume clients to solve the world’s hardest problems
    - Fun stuff to learn
    - Free trips to Las Vegas every year for training

Cons

- Not enough hours in the day

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing

8. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

Good people
    Challenging work
    The right place to be at the start of your career.

Cons

Everything seems just right. As long as it maintains the same set of core values, it's good to go.

Advice to Management

Stay on the same path

9. "Excellent !!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent talent pool, good perks and clear outlook for the company. Inspite of stiff competition, Cloudera is and will continue to be the market leader in the Big Data space. As a brand, Cloudera is worth the hype.

Cons

Very stiff competition in the big data segment, need a much more defining/attractive differentiators from the rest of the companies in this space

"Once in a lifetime experience"

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WIth Cloudera, you get the best of both worlds - the fast pace, innovative world of a start-up, but with the funding and talent that allows the company to have a bigger impact on the next generation of data technology than most of the large legacy IT vendors.

Cons

The company is moving so fast that the work level is high. However, the team is really aligned so it does not feel excessive.