Cloudera Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Cloudera Chief Executive Officer Tom Reilly
Tom Reilly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good room for work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Cutting edge technology in the fast growing field of big data processing and analytics (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be tough here, but it isn't in any way forced from management (in 18 reviews)

• Growing pains as with any company that's expanded as quickly as Cloudera has, but management has done a good job of addressing those as they've arisen (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic company with still so much potential"

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The inclusive culture is great, and peers will always rally around others looking for help. The executive management in the company is unrivaled to any company I have ever seen. They are open, honest, transparent, and make employees feel like they are a part of something transforming to the industry. I have never seen executives so in tune to the pulse of the company, and understand what the company needs in many facets of the business. Cloudera provides excellent opportunities for growth and career advancement. Hard work and results are recognized.

Cons

Work/life balance can be tough here, but it isn't in any way forced from management. Clouderans love what they do, and give it their all. It's hard not to be overworked when we truly buy into the vision of what this company is, where we are going, and the opportunities ahead. Just be careful and set reasonable boundaries to get the work/life balance you require. Cloudera has an unlimited vacation policy, so there is no excuse not to work out the R&R you need to stay healthy and balanced.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. All of you are true professionals and set the right examples for all Clouderans on what we should be striving for to be a disrupter in the industry, and more importantly, ethically in the process.

2. "Awesome Place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Budapest (Hungary)
    Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Budapest (Hungary)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn new things.
    Satisfaction on your work day. Very good work life balance. Very respectful coworkers. There is always a door open for you to improve your work and grow within cloudera.

Cons

I haven't experienced one till now.

3. "A dream company!"

Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Operations Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honest and transparent management, good pay rates, flexibility, WFH is always an open option, great PTOs, awesome knowledgeable people,

Cons

None. Everything seems to be great!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great place to begin sales career. Limited upward mobility."

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good access to tools. Managers are super friendly. You're selling cool technology with awesome impact on other businesses. Awesome location - austin is an amazing city, with lots to do. 3 min walk away from capital. Free food 2 days a week. Gym membership covered. Cool office space. Respectful of religion, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, etc. People are very friendly.

Cons

Limited upward mobility. They sell you hard on the fact that there's tons of growth and how sales dev reps have moved into amazing roles (a closing role, or a marketing role, or enablement) in other departments but it all happened during the hiring frenzy before the IPO. Now it's stagnant. They expect you to stay in role 18+ months before considering you for other roles. The hard part: No real solid plans to move you into new roles, rather they "put out fires as they come".
    Commission structure changes if you over-perform. Happened to a few people since I've started. Sad.
    No real training. It's a swim or drown set up. Rather than blame poor performance on crap training, they blame you. The tech is complex, data scientists barely understand how the tech works.. and yet they expect you to know it.. please.
    When managers ask for feedback, they're really keeping an eye out to see if you're going to leave, rather than try to improve the work environment.
    No matching plans.. hard when you have a spouse and a mortgage to think about.

Advice to Management

Be open, be honest. You say you want us to grow with Cloudera yet all the SDRs hear is you talk about is what people should do if they want to leave Cloudera. Why are you talking about our exit strategy?! Start talking about positions or skills we should be cultivating instead.

5. "High quality company"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cloudera feels like a high quality company. They don't cut corners, they invest in the right places, the management team is experienced. It's also a friendly culture full of smart people.

Cons

The hours can be long and unpredictable.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating.

6. "A place to learn, grow and contribute"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

You will get a chance to work on cutting-edge technologies and also contribute to open source while doing so. You will get exposure to lot of opportunities within as new initiatives are being launched on time to time basis.

Cons

The work can get overwhelming given that Cloudera is in growth stage and lot of initatives got launched within company

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work going.

7. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cloudera full-time

Pros

The entire team at Cloudera was in the 10% of Engineers I've worked with.
    In addition to being great Engineers, everyone was also genuinely positive and constructive.

Cons

There wasn't a high value placed on quality.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Cloudera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and great culture

Cons

Terrible middle management from the Director level down

Advice to Management

Hire people that don't just blindly agree with your ideas rather than challenge them to make the whole process better.

9. "On boarding"

Current Employee - Partner Sales Manager in Milano (Italy)
    Current Employee - Partner Sales Manager in Milano (Italy)

I have been working at Cloudera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Brilliant, Fast, Innovative, Global company

Cons

Balancing of the employess in europe between countries

Advice to Management

Push the culture of proposing our offering more from a business and strategic point of view then from a technological point of view

10. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

Flexible hour, interesting projects and nice people to work with.

Cons

stressful towards the end of the release