KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Is this your company?

Add a Review

Cloudera Employee Reviews about "big data"

Updated Jan 17, 2021

Found 39 of over 626 reviews

4.1
Cloudera President and Chief Executive Officer Rob Bearden
Rob Bearden
Pros
  • "Great people and work life balance(in 34 reviews)

• "A leading big data company, and the only one remaining Hadoop era company(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "As with all start-ups that go IPO, there are some growing pains and there is a need to roll up sleeves(in 30 reviews)

• "Work life balance can be difficult to maintain at points(in 27 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "big data"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Future is bright, with building the future of AI, big data and cloud.

May 28, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Merger is done, and management did a good job with this hard and complex project, we had even outside advisors to help the project - CDP is finished, and we are serving it to customers... - soon/near future cloudera will be the biggest cloud, AI, big data provider, - management is strict and hard but knowing their job, which we can see inthe numbers and yearly growth... downside they do not ask for much feedback in these days... - I feel with all the manpower and tech knowledge and product, we have the best chance to be the biggest cloud provider in that sector and good feeling to be part of this.

Cons

- we lost (good) some expert in the merge, but I think it is normal, with some reoriginization there is always a chance that someone will not fit, or just decide they wanna part awayin. In the end this is a new entity/company - but we got a ton of other expertise from Hortonworks, and know how, so this was good and necessary trade.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Engineers keep leaving

Nov 11, 2020 - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Big data technologies that are relevant to the market. Typically no work on weekends, but for Cloud team that was releasing public and private cloud products people work overtime a lot and are burnt out. Free lunch and coffee.

Cons

Too many. Upper management are there to enrich themselves and will do layoff as first resort. Morale is low because of post merger conflicts. Even though they say it’s one team, end result was HortonWorks people kicked out Cloudera people, especially at the middle management level. Experienced people, those who used to be PMC, and founders have all left. You still go to work with smart people if you are lucky, but the breadth and depth of your coworkers are no longer there. They have this ridiculous blocking period that starts two months before earnings. That means there are 8 months in a year you cannot trade the stock.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Enjoyed my time while it lasted....

Oct 16, 2020 - Customer Success Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

People were great! If you like Big Data Technology is a great place to be. Felt like a new, growing company - lots of momentum and excitement. Cafeteria lunch in Palo Alto was awesome! Work life balance was great! The Manager and VP I reported to were outstanding!

Cons

Overall great experience before I was negatively impacted by a RIFF that I was informed was due to COVID. small complaint - quickly growing team did not have some move advanced internal tools in place yet to make performing job responsibility in a more effective manner.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to work, but lacks clear direction

Sep 16, 2020 - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cloudera is a good place to work as an engineer. I can see that the company really takes care of their employees and I feel a sense of loyalty because of this. Work-life balance - From unlimited PTO to "unplug" days that force everyone to take time away from work; Cloudera really does "walk-the-talk" in ensuring there is a sustainable work-life balance. Peers - I have been fortunate to work with lots of smart people at Cloudera that are experts in numerous disciplines. You'll probably work with the person who wrote the book on subject X at some point Management - Management focuses on transparency and regularly makes themselves available to answer questions from rank-and-file employees. Management seems to genuinely care about the employee experience. Growth - The company is reorienting itself to head-off competitors and the ever-evolving competitive landscape. This can be chaotic, but also provides interesting challenges and opportunities to learn and grow. If you want to engineer big data products, Cloudera is the place to be.

Cons

Lacks clear direction - A clear direction is rarely shared by everyone. It doesn't feel like we are all focused on moving in the same direction. Major initiatives do not seem well-organized and can be chaotic. Overseas hiring - Most of the company's hiring is occurring overseas in lower-cost markets. If you lose an Engineer in the US or UK you're most likely going to have to back-fill with someone from a lower cost market who doesn't have as much experience or knowledge. Remote first? - Cloudera is trying to evolve into a remote-first company (as many others are too), but not making enough progress in this area. Home office - There is minimal assistance in maintaining a home office for remote workers. The company only provides a laptop and a one-time stipend which won't even cover the cost of a desk. You'll have to pay for everything else out-of-pocket. Open source - I used to enjoy contributing to open source projects as part of my day-to-day job. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case due to the company's evolving product strategy.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Oct 29, 2020 - Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Will get chance to work on latest big data stack, NiFi, Spark, Flink etc.

Cons

Not sure about the outlook

Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Review

Sep 6, 2020 - Senior Services Delivery Manager in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to learn Big Data Technologies

Cons

Workplace inclusion is minimal..people work in silos

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Going through a rough patch

Jan 22, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Cloudera has excellent work/life balance * The product is awesome and almost everything is open source * Big data is used to stop fraud, save lives, and generate billions of dollars of value in the world - it is definitely a "make the world a better place" type job

Cons

* After the merger between CLDR and HWX, things are not going well. Politics are everywhere, legacy Clouderans are fleeing in droves, wall street has no clue what Cloudera is really worth, and compared to just a year ago, it is very difficult to trust upper management has a handle on things. * After leaving, people are not getting backfilled quickly enough, leading to serious resourcing problems. This creates a negative feedback loop and more people leaving. Also, no, you cannot move *all* of those roles to Budapest or India, that is not the same thing. * Career growth is difficult unless you are an absolute rockstar that rises above everyone around you. * Under-investment in infrastructure and tooling * Acts like a company 1/4 their size or less, very weak on cross-company tools or processes. * Hasn't yet figured out how to coordinate across GEOs in different time zones effectively.

11 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

smart people, good pay

Jan 8, 2016 - Techie In Field Customer Enablement
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people. Like, seriously crazy-smart. But also friendly and helpful. A start-up with a start-up atmosphere...but 1000+ employees so without the start-up rollercoaster. Cutting edge technology in the fast growing field of big data processing and analytics = great resume fodder. Lots of room for personal advancement. Good room for work/life balance. (Although I'm remote...if you are working at the headquarters in Palo Alto you might have a different experience.)

Cons

The technology is growing and changing so fast it's hard to keep your head around it all; it can be overwhelming and disheartening to realize stuff you mastered six months ago is now obsolete. The company is also growing and there are the usual growing pains. It can be hard to find "experts" to help you, not because they don't wish to be helpful, but because they are thin on the ground, as half the company was hired in the last 12-18 months. Also everyone is busy, there's way more work to go around than people to do it, so you have to set firm personal boundaries to maintain good work-life balance: no one is going to prompt you to stop work at the end of the day or take a vacation.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A fast growing company with a challenging, supportive environment, where there are opportunities to do interesting work.

Apr 28, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are plenty of interesting problems to solve. The company is growing quickly which means there are opportunities to decide how things will be done, to be part of an exciting phase in the company's life-cycle, and who knows what the future will bring in terms of IPOs, etc. The people I work with are smart, engaged, friendly, and they have a focus on getting stuff done. Big data technology is pretty cutting edge, and the tools and methodologies we're using will look good on my resume.

Cons

It's unlikely that non-technical friends will have direct experience with the technology (unlike some parts of places like Apple, Google, or Facebook). Cloudera uses an open floor plan which is very popular these days, but I miss the quiet of the offices I had in days gone by. There's pressure to deliver features to the market, beating competitors, which is reasonable, but sometimes the planning of what we will do doesn't seem to match what is practical to do in the time available; we make it work, but I'd like to be able to take a bit more time to do even better work.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee

Loosing some sheen last couple of years

Oct 2, 2015 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Smart Team of Engineers * Interesting Problems * 'Big Data' interest/demand seems to be on the rise in the industry * Great office perks * Wednesday no-meeting / WFH day

Cons

* Lots of good people leaving - right after they hit the 4 yr mark * Setting sights to compete with Teradata etc.. means reduced focus on other things that Hadoop has tonnes of potential for. * Skewed investments favoring certain teams while some teams are left without adequate resources. * Marketing talks about being a Hadoop company, but focus lately on customer lock-in with proprietary Management Layer and pushing Impala (Which is not really a bad thing maybe, since its a differentiator) and new Tech which does nothing to extend the Hadoop ecosystem anyway. * Don't really have adequately differentiating / better technology (which cannot be replicated by competitors easily) to warrant NOT going IPO for this long. * Hortonworks grabbing more developer mind share, and MapR has a substitute for HDFS which justifies its proprietary license by simply being more reliable and faster. * Engineering Cycles wasted on irrelevant initiatives that don't really push the product forward.

18 people found this review helpful